What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the last 24 hours I watched the entire 13 episode OVA of New Getter Robo, my introduction to this classic big robot anime and manga franchise. The name Getter Robo always made me laugh and I'd nearly bought a DVD of it at SDCC last year. 

Too much history of the franchise goes into this 2004 adaptation which is darker and edgier than the majority of the anime series as I understand it, but closer in tone to the manga. It does feel a bit try-hard with the gore, with the first several episode just showing copious amounts of blood. It's pretty funny. There's a lot going on, from cutting out the dinosaur bad guys of the original series and the latter half prioritizing tributes to creator Ken Ishikawa by referencing his other works, that as an actual series it's definitely watchable but not *actually* all that good to be honest. The main characters are really tough to get into, with main guy Ryoma Nagare being a self-interested, obstinate asshole 100% of the time. There's barely any development with him, and the camaraderie he's meant to have with his fellow co-pilots is barely applied. Of course, he's not as bad as Hayato Jin - who starts off as a literal terrorist who we see murder innocent people and even his own men on a whim. He's a straight psychopath, who barely speaks between crazy laughter in his intro episode. After the third pilot is brought into the show, Hayato suddenly changes to a stoic, contemplative investigator who fills the archetype of the smart one on the team. Historically he's meant to be the series genius, but New Getter Robo does zero work to bring him to that point. Maybe it's homaging the original manga, but as it watches it's awful storytelling. 

That's the main problem for me, that too much is happening in between frames of the story for me to actually like the characters as presented. I kinda like the world and want to look into Getter Robo Armageddon - which came out earlier but I understand is well regarded. Continuity in this franchise is basically non-existent, akin to comic book animated adaptations compared to their comic book counterparts - there is no continuity. My main criticisms is that New Getter Robo doesn't stand on its own, but is *just* interesting enough to pull a newbie into the franchise, providing that the other shows are more character driven. 

I'm close to finished with season 2 of Voyager. I just finished "Death Wish" an episode that might be a top ten Trek episode. Yeah, I love the trial episodes, but this is a unique one. Tuvok represents a different Q than we've met before who demands to be granted mortality so he can kill himself while Q (the one we all know) is arguing to have him imprisoned for eternity so he can no longer damage the Continuum. Brilliantly written.

Overall, this show has incredible characterization. Even in the first season, the character work is firing on all cylinders. Other than Chakotay and Kes, I kind of love them all. Kes is at least growing on me. 

After the first episode of ECHO, Davin quit and I don't feel very motivated to continue. The story doesn't even start for a half hour into the episode. Everything else before that was superfluous or should have been told in flashback throughout the series. Yes, even the Daredevil fight. Absolutely useless. A TV show (ESPECIALLY the first episode) shouldn't read like an OHOTMU entry.

After episode 2, I'm out. I have a feeling there's no more Daredevil and Fisk only in the last two episodes. I can get the other actors I like on Reservation Dogs (and Graham Greene in damn near anything filmed in Canada over the last 50 years).

Watched American Nightmare on Netflix. It's a three-part docuseries about the Denise Huskins story from a little over a decade ago. I remember how crazy the story was at the time and got furious watching this. It's the Gone Girl Case. Shortly after the movie came out this woman was kidnapped from her home in the night, her boyfriend drugged and tied up left behind. The police barely investigated and the FBI agent involved was dating the boyfriend's ex (who herself is apparently the intended kidnappee). Fucking nuts. Terribly generic title.

True Detective: Night Country is only two episodes in and firing on every cylinder possible (even some cosmic ones we can't see). Jodie Foster is amazing in this, so is everyone else, but she is a fucking revelation here. I think I know the in-universe connection to season 1 beyond the one that is obvious. Anyway, this is already the second best season of the show and there's four more episodes to go. And I love all previous three seasons. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 1:26 PM, Missy said:

Des, do you know the impact Voyager had the world? How it literally changed the course of human history?

Not unless it happened in the first 2 and a half seasons and I can't think of it.

I think instead of replying to this question from a couple weeks ago, I maybe edited your comment to answer? I was probably quite drunk. hahaha!

First episode of the final season of Curb Your Enthusiasm was perfectly hilarious.

During part of her tenure on Voyager, Jeri Ryan was married to Jack Ryan, an investment banker. They wound up getting divorced in 1999. Reports at the time were it was due, in part (more on this later), to Jeri's Voyager filming schedule. Jack was known to be a controlling man, after all.

In 2004, Jack decides he wants to run for the US Senate. Because he's a political candidate and because everyone knew something was off about their divorce, the records are unsealed.

What did they find in those records? Jack forced Jeri to visit sex clubs with him and made her perform sexual acts on other men.

This revelation nukes all political aspirations for one Jack Ryan.

So who should fill the vacuum left by Jack Ryan? Who should win the US Senate seat Ryan was after?

Barack Obama.

And thus begins the political career of the future POTUS.

From there we all know how Trump treated Obama (RE: birtherism) and how Obama making one joke led to Trump finally deciding to run for POTUS himself.

And here we fucking are.

Addendum: Former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich is tied to this as well, because it was Obama's vacated Senate seat he tried to sell, which is what put him in jail.

3 hours ago, Missy said:

During part of her tenure on Voyager, Jeri Ryan was married to Jack Ryan, an investment banker. They wound up getting divorced in 1999. Reports at the time were it was due, in part (more on this later), to Jeri's Voyager filming schedule. Jack was known to be a controlling man, after all.

In 2004, Jack decides he wants to run for the US Senate. Because he's a political candidate and because everyone knew something was off about their divorce, the records are unsealed.

What did they find in those records? Jack forced Jeri to visit sex clubs with him and made her perform sexual acts on other men.

So who should fill the vacuum left by Jack Ryan? Who should win the US Senate seat Ryan was after?

Barack Obama.

From there we all know how Trump treated Obama (RE: birtherism) and how Obama making one joke led to Trump finally deciding to run for POTUS himself.

And here we fucking are.

Addendum: Former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich is tied to this as well, because it was Obama's vacated Senate seat he tried to sell, which is what put him in jail.

How did you come to learn all this?

16 hours ago, Missy said:

Barack Obama.

And here we fucking are.

Crazy. I actually think I did hear that at one point, but then completely forgot about it. haha!

Man, one of the joys of the Chicago fan expo the year I was there was when they announced that Blagojevich was beginning to sign in section C or whatever, literally a quarter of a million people booed at the same time. Shook the walls of the conference centre.

Good times.

Funnily enough, I started Seven of Nine's run on the show last night.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...