Brock Lesnar vs Randy Couture

SuaveStar

It's actually a very interesting fight. By all accounts, Randy should just destroy him. He's got the edge in everything but size and pure wrestling ability, and even that's somewhat debatable - Randy was a three time Olympic alternate as an amateur. The one real thing I can see Brock has going for him is that fifty pound weight advantage. If there's one thing Couture has struggled with historically, (besides Chuck Liddell) it's significantly larger men who know how to handle themselves on the ground. He was smashed by Josh Barnett near the end of his previous run at HW ('02), and while it really isn't fair to compare Brock to Josh at this stage in his career, they really do have a lot in common. If Randy can keep Brock at a distance and avoid being pinned on his back for any length of time, he should be able to handle it. But if he slips just once in five rounds, he could be in serious trouble.

It's actually a very interesting fight. By all accounts, Randy should just destroy him. He's got the edge in everything but size and pure wrestling ability, and even that's somewhat debatable - Randy was a three time Olympic alternate as an amateur. The one real thing I can see Brock has going for him is that fifty pound weight advantage. If there's one thing Couture has struggled with historically, (besides Chuck Liddell) it's significantly larger men who know how to handle themselves on the ground. He was smashed by Josh Barnett near the end of his previous run at HW ('02), and while it really isn't fair to compare Brock to Josh at this stage in his career, they really do have a lot in common. If Randy can keep Brock at a distance and avoid being pinned on his back for any length of time, he should be able to handle it. But if he slips just once in five rounds, he could be in serious trouble.

I've got to be honest, Lesnar will get killed in their. UFC signed him for a short term contract which is why their pushing this match. Lesnar is not a good fighter, from what I saw of his last two fights, he is a good hitter, but next to nothing else that could help him.

Lesnars power and weight will only get him so far, but once Couture has him scouted, Lesnar is finished.

it will be a good fight to see though.

As much as I love Brock, he just isn't ready for this opportunity. He's strong and fast, impossibly large and a phenomenal wrestler, but he's still too new to the world of MMA. Frank Mir exploited Brock's inexperience in his first UFC fight, and outside of one punch, Brock's second fight wasn't all that impressive. On the other hand, Randy's beaten men who were larger and stronger than himself. He has the experience. He knows how to mix his wrestling skills with other MMA tools.

Despite what I've said above, I've yet to pick a winner. Though I want to see Lesnar / Mir II in 2009 for the unified title, I'm not sure that will happen. Ask me again in November. I'll make my choice by then.

Put me in the group of guys upset we'll never see Randy vs Fedor.

MMA isn't doing itself any favors when a guy with a quick loss and a decision win is suddenly challenging for the title. Brock is going to get killed.

Well, for that to happen, Affliction would have to die first. Granted, that's not a stretch by any means.

The Observer says that UFC still won't do either of the two things that make sense, which is sign Fedor for the one fight deal or just co-promote it with another company.

It makes NO sense for them to co-promote it and I still wouldn't rule out a one fight deal somewhere down the line.

As per Brock, I like how this site is a exact opposite of the consensus on the Oratory which seems to agree that Brock is taking it but giving Randy a chance. I think it will be a lot closer than people think but I have to give Randy a slight edge. Nothing about this fight would surprise me though.

Co-promotion would help the sport more than it would UFC directly.

Promotions are dropping like flies and MMA is at a stage where the audience isn't growing at a rate as large as the number of companies vying for it. Elite XC did great ratings but they've still got one foot in the grave at any given moment. As much as they'd like to be the next coming of boxing, MMA is much closer to pro wrestling than anything else, and, just like with wrestling, they need competition to thrive.

Obviously in the short term, UFC giving the rub to Affliction or whoever isn't the ideal business situation for them, but it's far from the dumbest move they could make, either.

I'm right there with you, Blane: in regards to the fight, nothing would surprise me.

Brock, with youth, size and strength on his side, might out-wrestle Randy. Or Randy might catch Brock's untested jaw with a solid punch. Brock might lay on Randy for five, boring rounds. Or Randy might hook in a submission.

It really could go so many ways, and that's why I'm excited for it!

Randy hasn't shown raw power but he has GREAT dirty boxing and with Brock not having been testing so much like that I could see a knockout by Randy.

And giving Affliction makes NO sense for the UFC. It'd be like WWE co-promoting with TNA. You don't help the competition. The UFC is making money hand over first and has no reason to try and help the little guys up.

Yeah, I'm not saying that's their best option at all, and if/when Affliction dies, they won't have to, but it's one of the options. Obviously, one they're not taking, regardless of the reasons.

Comparing them to TNA is kinda silly since they're in completely different positions relative to their competition, though the reasons WWE doesn't co-promote with them has nothing to do with money (they'd both make out like bandits). It's an ego issue with them, just as it is with UFC.

• 2 months later...