Random wrestling thoughts

Potential issue for Des though unless things have changed the Canadian version of WWE Network is an actual TV channel for the stream, but doesn't really have the same on-demand content everywhere else in the world has. If that's changed, great. If not you may not get all that sweet ECW content you want (which by the way now contains every televised show ECW ever did).

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Potential issue for Des though unless things have changed the Canadian version of WWE Network is an actual TV channel for the stream, but doesn't really have the same on-demand content everywhere else in the world has. If that's changed, great. If not you may not get all that sweet ECW content you want (which by the way now contains every televised show ECW ever did).

Oh shit. Thanks. I'll look into that.

Follow-up: if I were to pick up a weekly wrestling show, which should I try first? I'm leaning toward Lucha Underground.

The thing about Lucha Underground is that it isn't really a weekly wrestling show.  It is a science fiction show with time travelers and dragons that have wrestling matches.  I love the show, but I will agree with DW, season 3 has been the weakest, but I'd definitely give Season 1 a look and see if it is for you.  Pentagon Jr. is worth it.

The major downside to Bray is that he's a complex character in a promotion that only cultivates simple ones.  It feels like he's from a different universe altogether, and as such, they often have no idea what to do with him.  Most of his feuds have been "attack guy, speak in riddles, lose to guy".

They should have turned him face a year ago.  

Follow-up: if I were to pick up a weekly wrestling show, which should I try first? I'm leaning toward Lucha Underground.

The thing about Lucha Underground is that it isn't really a weekly wrestling show.  It is a science fiction show with time travelers and dragons that have wrestling matches.  I love the show, but I will agree with DW, season 3 has been the weakest, but I'd definitely give Season 1 a look and see if it is for you.  Pentagon Jr. is worth it.

Yeah, that didn't do anything to keep me away from trying it out. Ha!

Completely random thought from decades ago:

Tugboat joining forces with Earthquake after EQ tried to end his career (becoming Typhoon in the process) is almost as dumb as Dr. Gordon joining the Jigsaw Cult after Jigsaw forced him to cut off his own foot. Come to think of it, the people who wrote the Saw movies must be pro wrestling fans, because that kind of stupidity happens all the time in pro wrestling.

• 4 weeks later...

Completely random thought from decades ago:

Tugboat joining forces with Earthquake after EQ tried to end his career (becoming Typhoon in the process) is almost as dumb as Dr. Gordon joining the Jigsaw Cult after Jigsaw forced him to cut off his own foot. Come to think of it, the people who wrote the Saw movies must be pro wrestling fans, because that kind of stupidity happens all the time in pro wrestling.

I can justify that in my own mental canon. I think he was probably more bitter about how his best mate Hogan immediately dropped him, never visited him in hospital and he basically figured out that all the Hulkster does is use his friends.

Basically Hulk was the biggest heel right from the start in my mind. Certainly Savage as portrayed on TV was the baby face. So was Andre. 

Edited by Stavros

• 3 weeks later...

Most places, if you beat up your boss and put his head through a car window, you get fired. You don't get a prime spot at the company's biggest event of the year.  Pro wrestling logic has always been strange.

Also, Stavros is right. Even in 1987, the Hogan/Andre storyline made absolutely no sense to me. Why did Andre have to become a bad guy to fight Hogan? In real sports, people can be friends and compete against each other. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 8 eps into Lucha Underground and just LOVING it. The athleticism is amazing. There's a hint of urban fantasy. Chavo Guerrero Jr. has a lot of heat. Catrina...also, the short runtime is brilliant. Ep's over before you're bored but they still manage to pack in some plot and introduce a new wrestler basically every episode.

Edit: Oh yeah, King Cuerno is a luchadore version of Kraven The Hunter and that's FUCKING AMAZING.

I didn't watch Wrestlemania live last night.  Mainly because I know better.  I knew they would go long and that 4AM alarm would have come mighty quick.  So, stay off the internet and watch it after work today.  So I got off work, drove home, got some dinner.  Started watching.  And watching.  And watching.  Still watching in fact.  I'm just over 4 hours in and it says I still have an hour left. 

I don't care what it is.  7ish hours is too fucking long for a wrestling show.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Having just finished watching the rematch I'll say the original is better than the sequel.  Now, I watching both know the result (and I HATE knowing) but I felt it hurt the rematch more.  Still great fun.  That Okada guy is having himself a year.

Also, Cyrus doing his 92 Royal Rumble Bobby Heenan impersonation got old real fast. 

• 2 weeks later...

At present, I'm watching Nitro from 1995 onward, including the pay-per-views. On the Nitro after Fall Brawl '95, Lex Luger and Randy Savage have a heated conversation concerning Luger's loyalties. Luger is honest: while he has no problem teaming with Hulk Hogan to fend off The Dungeon of Doom, he wants Hogan's World Heavyweight Champion. He then asks Savage, pointblank, if he has championship aspirations, to which Savage admits he does. So while Savage won't pull the trigger to chase the title while his friend Hogan possesses it, Luger does not have this hangup.

Along those lines, during Fall Brawl it was pointed out that Arn Anderson never received a shot at the Heavyweight Championship while his best friend, Ric Flair, held it.

So that got me thinking: in terms of kayfabe, why would anyone who has dreams of becoming the world heavyweight champion ever be friends with the current champion? The champ is never going to give you a shot at the belt, not so long as you're friends, so said wrestler would be holding themselves back career and finance wise by sticking with the champ.

With Flair, the gimmick was that everyone accepted he was the leader, and they'd be well taken care of by hanging around him.  They'd settle for a US title because being US champion was still a big deal.

With Hogan, Savage had a love-hate relationship with him through the years, so it eventually did boil over to challenges (in fact, every single Savage world title run involves Hogan ruining it for him in some capacity).  At that point in time, it would make sense for Savage to hold back on starting shit with Hogan since they had JUST gotten back to getting along.  Everyone else that budded with Hogan was typically a lower card guy that never had a chance.

That makes sense. And when it comes to groups like Evolution, there were eventual turns that led to championship runs, if I recall.

Speaking of Hogan ruining things, it irks me that the Anderson / Flair feud is, in part, because of Hogan. Not everything should be about him.

In other news: I'm finding myself liking Lex Luger and Johnny B Badd, The Dungeon of Doom is horrible, Steve McMichael cannot leave the commentary team fast enough, and it's amazing to see just how agile The Giant used to be.