Random wrestling thoughts

So Nitro #5 has an amazing match between Dean Malenko and Eddie Guerrero, but most of it is unseen because the cameras cut to the back to focus on Hogan getting out of a limo to rant about The Giant.

*sigh*

Fucking Hogan.

Yeah, I get that they can only cram so much into 45 minutes, but cutting away from the best match on the card is bullshit.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there real heat between Flair and Pillman? Thus far, their two interactions have seemed rather stiff in places.

Sabu age 30 is crisp and frightening. As Dubs said on DDT, Sabu should die a millionaire.

Oh man, Chris Benoit is about to debut.

Having had his mustache shaved in the previous episode, Hogan is dressed in all black, shoots on WWE / Vince for a moment, and is intense. I assume we're seeing shades of nWo Hogan.

Tell me we're not going to get a Disco Inferno / Hawk feud.

Mr. JL has debuted! :buttrock:

Somewhat not so randomly, I've been (very) slowly watching the G1 from 2015.  Only 3 days in, so it will take a while.  Watching shows without commentary so just odd.  But that is not the main takeaway so far. No that would be that I hate the High Fly Flow.  Hatred.  Love a good Frog Splash, HATE the High Fly Flow.

Chris Benoit officially debuted, having a singles match with Eddie then a tag match that paired Benoit with Dean Malenko and Eddie with Mr. JL. Thanks to these two matches, Nitro picks up tremendously. It goes from an overstuffed 45-minute wrestling program to exciting, must-watch TV. The crowd is hot for these cruiserweights, which primes them for the rest of the show.

Whenever Eric Bischoff throws to Steve McMichael on camera, you can see the former wince. That said, McMichael is getting better, but I'm still not high on him.

I am legit laughing out loud at Savage's interview with Mean Gene during Halloween Havoc '95.

"Your mustache is crooked!"
"Your beard is a little sideways."

It's like watching a muppets sketch. Savage is a coked-up Cookie Monster.

13 minutes ago, Professor said:

Have you read the revised and expanded edition?  Been debating getting the audiobook.

I got the audio book of the expanded version for free, but I can't really do audio books, so I'll be looking to get another hardcover.

6 hours ago, Dread said:

The revise and expanded is what I'm reading but I don't know what's new and what isn't other than the last chunk.

The author is burying TNA as well. Pretty brutal.

Edit: so the end is just listing all the stupid shit that TNA did.

Most of the parts involving TNA, as well as the "Lesson not Learned" segments.

Almost all the way through watching WSX just today and it really carries the ECW aesthetic well past the point where the ECW brand had been necro-raped by WWE. Pretty solid old timers and new guys. Also: there's a Lucha Underground alumni or two in every episode.

In kayfabe: How the fuck is Hulk Hogan a face? Never mind the dirty back-rakes and eye-pokes, he is a whiny asshole. Sure, yeah, the ref messed up the final call of World War 3 '95, but instead of accepting his loss with grace -- like everyone else did, face and heel alike -- he pantomimes how he was screwed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again like a punk, thus overshadowing Randy Savage's win.

Beyond not getting how his character is a face, the man is a dick; he keeps stepping in front of the camera every single time Savage is meant to be in focus. It's fucking infuriating.

4 hours ago, Dread said:

Almost all the way through watching WSX just today and it really carries the ECW aesthetic well past the point where the ECW brand had been necro-raped by WWE. Pretty solid old timers and new guys. Also: there's a Lucha Underground alumni or two in every episode.

It is absolutely the precursor to LU. Same mix of PWG Indy guys (Cross, Evans etc) luchadores and older ex wwf/wcw guys. All it lacks is the aesthetic and storytelling.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

In kayfabe: How the fuck is Hulk Hogan a face? Never mind the dirty back-rakes and eye-pokes, he is a whiny asshole. Sure, yeah, the ref messed up the final call of World War 3 '95, but instead of accepting his loss with grace -- like everyone else did, face and heel alike -- he pantomimes how he was screwed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again like a punk, thus overshadowing Randy Savage's win.

Beyond not getting how his character is a face, the man is a dick; he keeps stepping in front of the camera every single time Savage is meant to be in focus. It's fucking infuriating.

Because Hogan is a heel IRL. Just took people a while to catch on.

I absolutely know what you mean, and frankly the backlash was present and building by 95. He sorely needed that heel turn.