D.W.

Random wrestling thoughts

3,772 posts in this topic

For that matter, the Women's League is actually interesting. There are still a couple leftover from the Glorified Stippers Days, most of them are not only capable of doing a good technical match but also sometimes put out the best matches of the night.

Potential issue for Des though unless things have changed the Canadian version of WWE Network is an actual TV channel for the stream, but doesn't really have the same on-demand content everywhere else in the world has. If that's changed, great. If not you may not get all that sweet ECW content you want (which by the way now contains every televised show ECW ever did).

Potential issue for Des though unless things have changed the Canadian version of WWE Network is an actual TV channel for the stream, but doesn't really have the same on-demand content everywhere else in the world has. If that's changed, great. If not you may not get all that sweet ECW content you want (which by the way now contains every televised show ECW ever did).

Oh shit. Thanks. I'll look into that.

Follow-up: if I were to pick up a weekly wrestling show, which should I try first? I'm leaning toward Lucha Underground.

The thing about Lucha Underground is that it isn't really a weekly wrestling show.  It is a science fiction show with time travelers and dragons that have wrestling matches.  I love the show, but I will agree with DW, season 3 has been the weakest, but I'd definitely give Season 1 a look and see if it is for you.  Pentagon Jr. is worth it.

Kevin Owens (RAW world champ.  Fat guy that can move.  Great promo guy.)

He's also been in a comedy double act with Jericho as best buddies for the past 6 months. Definitely worth dipping into a few of their segments. 

Bray Wyatt (If he debuted 20 years ago, he'd be killing it in ECW.  Does a backwoods cult-leader thing.)

I would watch wrestling just Bray Wyatt, honestly. He looks really cool.

The major downside to Bray is that he's a complex character in a promotion that only cultivates simple ones.  It feels like he's from a different universe altogether, and as such, they often have no idea what to do with him.  Most of his feuds have been "attack guy, speak in riddles, lose to guy".

They should have turned him face a year ago.  

Follow-up: if I were to pick up a weekly wrestling show, which should I try first? I'm leaning toward Lucha Underground.

The thing about Lucha Underground is that it isn't really a weekly wrestling show.  It is a science fiction show with time travelers and dragons that have wrestling matches.  I love the show, but I will agree with DW, season 3 has been the weakest, but I'd definitely give Season 1 a look and see if it is for you.  Pentagon Jr. is worth it.

Yeah, that didn't do anything to keep me away from trying it out. Ha!

Plus side Lucha Underground should be on Netflix very soon.

Completely random thought from decades ago:

Tugboat joining forces with Earthquake after EQ tried to end his career (becoming Typhoon in the process) is almost as dumb as Dr. Gordon joining the Jigsaw Cult after Jigsaw forced him to cut off his own foot. Come to think of it, the people who wrote the Saw movies must be pro wrestling fans, because that kind of stupidity happens all the time in pro wrestling.

That time WCW showed up on Battle Dome to beat up Terry Crews.  Man, I loved Battle Dome.  It was no WMAC Masters, but what is really?

Edited by Professor

Completely random thought from decades ago:

Tugboat joining forces with Earthquake after EQ tried to end his career (becoming Typhoon in the process) is almost as dumb as Dr. Gordon joining the Jigsaw Cult after Jigsaw forced him to cut off his own foot. Come to think of it, the people who wrote the Saw movies must be pro wrestling fans, because that kind of stupidity happens all the time in pro wrestling.

I can justify that in my own mental canon. I think he was probably more bitter about how his best mate Hogan immediately dropped him, never visited him in hospital and he basically figured out that all the Hulkster does is use his friends.

Basically Hulk was the biggest heel right from the start in my mind. Certainly Savage as portrayed on TV was the baby face. So was Andre. 

Edited by Stavros

Most places, if you beat up your boss and put his head through a car window, you get fired. You don't get a prime spot at the company's biggest event of the year.  Pro wrestling logic has always been strange.

Also, Stavros is right. Even in 1987, the Hogan/Andre storyline made absolutely no sense to me. Why did Andre have to become a bad guy to fight Hogan? In real sports, people can be friends and compete against each other. 

I'm 8 eps into Lucha Underground and just LOVING it. The athleticism is amazing. There's a hint of urban fantasy. Chavo Guerrero Jr. has a lot of heat. Catrina...also, the short runtime is brilliant. Ep's over before you're bored but they still manage to pack in some plot and introduce a new wrestler basically every episode.

Edit: Oh yeah, King Cuerno is a luchadore version of Kraven The Hunter and that's FUCKING AMAZING.

Man, I wish it was on UK Netflix. That first season is tremendous and Cuerno quickly became on of my favourite guys. That Arrow from the depths of hell is one of the best dives I've ever seen.

I didn't watch Wrestlemania live last night.  Mainly because I know better.  I knew they would go long and that 4AM alarm would have come mighty quick.  So, stay off the internet and watch it after work today.  So I got off work, drove home, got some dinner.  Started watching.  And watching.  And watching.  Still watching in fact.  I'm just over 4 hours in and it says I still have an hour left. 

I don't care what it is.  7ish hours is too fucking long for a wrestling show.

The end of NXT tonight fucking broke my heart. This Gargano/Ciampa feud is going to be the most emotionally invested I get in a feud in like 10 years.

My instinct is that 1 was better than 2, but I think I'll need space to evaluate them against each other. Fantastic match any way you slice it though.

Having just finished watching the rematch I'll say the original is better than the sequel.  Now, I watching both know the result (and I HATE knowing) but I felt it hurt the rematch more.  Still great fun.  That Okada guy is having himself a year.

Also, Cyrus doing his 92 Royal Rumble Bobby Heenan impersonation got old real fast. 

I watch New Japan in Japanese. No idea what he's saying, but Jushin Liger gets so excited on commentary it is not possible to not get super pumped up.