What Podcasts are You Listening To?

Guest DCAUFan1051

I think JR just isn't that great at interviews. He has a wealth of knowledge and I'll always respect his work on commentary, but he'll constantly talk over the top of the person he's interviewing, and it makes it hard to listen to.

I think Stone Cold is quite a bit better than JR and Jericho, which is something I never thought I’d say. I still skip over the monologue and the ads, but the more casual atmosphere is great.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Battle Beyond Planet X is a show I've gotten heavy into over the last six months. It's an extremely stripped down, no gimmicks show about one guy discussing themes in sci-fi franchises and how they're relevant to our culture and society today. The host Harrison Chute talks from start to finish and gives his thoughts in an extremely well spoken, thoughtful manner that's completely hooked me. Topics range from Mass Effect and Blade Runner to Neon Genesis Evangelion and Ghost in the Shell. It's fairly new, having begun at the beginning of the year, but I dig it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ditto, it's the popular podcast exploding right now but it's genuinely a fantastic listen. An investigation of a real life murder with the mystery being whether the man who was convicted of the crime actually did it. The host talks to experts, friends and family, recreates the actions of those involved and digs up police interviews and testimony from trial. Brilliant stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, he's been that way for a while now. Apparently, he's a completely different person depending on the day.

I was lucky enough to meet him at a convention 8 years ago and he was the most polite and lucid I'd ever seen him.

• 2 months later...

Having completed the whole series of Community in the past month and a half, I've gone back and listened to the casts' intermittent interviews on the Nerdist podcast, as well as listened to others.

When the guest is someone that Hardwick and friends really like and respect, then it's good because it gives them the chance to shut the fuck up and let them talk. So far that's only happened in the ones I've heard with John Kricfalusi, David Tennant and Matt Smith. Every other time it's always "Hey that brief anecdote reminds me of this one time with me and people I know" etc, and that ends up being the majority of the fucking podcast and time is wasted by all.

Hardwick is someone I haven't been able to stand for a very long time. The fact that he gets access to people he doesn't even really know about is frustrating. Maron, I'm two ways with: 1) if it's someone he knows from comedy then you're good and the same goes for someone he's familiar with, but 2) if it's someone he doesn't know personally, the interview is often terrible. The Obama interview was fucking fantastic though. He just had Penelope Spheeris on and the both frustratingly almost refused to talk about The Decline films which is what she was there to promote and considers her life's work.

The Black Tapes is a podcast I've been listening to from the get-go. I know one of the exec producers/writers and it's basically Serial if it was about supernatural horror cases. Think an audio version of a found footage film. Pretty fucking great. A very good facsimile of an NPR type thing too.

Hardwick is someone I haven't been able to stand for a very long time. The fact that he gets access to people he doesn't even really know about is frustrating. Maron, I'm two ways with: 1) if it's someone he knows from comedy then you're good and the same goes for someone he's familiar with, but 2) if it's someone he doesn't know personally, the interview is often terrible. The Obama interview was fucking fantastic though. He just had Penelope Spheeris on and the both frustratingly almost refused to talk about The Decline films which is what she was there to promote and considers her life's work.

The Obama interview was terrific, and that led me to listen to his Kenan Thompson one, which was good. The Hardwick thing keeps me from getting into more tho.

I've also been listening a lot more to Fresh Air's interviews in podcast form.

The Infinite Monkey Cage.

Excellent choice! I went to the recording of the Christmas show with Steven Fry and Richard Dawkins. Then Steven Fry tweeted me. What a birthday!

You forgot to add how you shamelessly fished for that birthday tweet!

Excellent choice! I went to the recording of the Christmas show with Steven Fry and Richard Dawkins. Then Steven Fry tweeted me. What a birthday!

I merely stated that I was lining up to get inside. And that it would be lovely if he had the opportunity to say hello...

I merely stated that I was lining up to get inside. And that it would be lovely if he had the opportunity to say hello...

.....because it was your birthday. Which you also stated.

• 3 months later...