What Podcasts are You Listening To?

Guest DCAUFan1051

Cerebro, which just released its 11th episode, is an amazing look into individual X-Men. Each episode begins with a little banter and a "how did you get into [X-character]", then delves into a character file, then the meat of the show. The most recent episode gets into Beast, but really the larger X-world and how the current X-books relate directly to real-world politics. It's a must-listen.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been meaning to listen to that. 

Related to that, I've been listening to Previously on X-Men, where they alternate between covering a comic, a movie, an episode of the 90s cartoon and a character's history each week. 

Radioactive Spider-Pod is also a fun show, where they cover the 90s animated series episode by episode with an older and comedic eye. Nice to hear appreciation for a show that I've always loved.

2 hours ago, Davedevil said:
2 hours ago, Davedevil said:

Radioactive Spider-Pod is also a fun show, where they cover the 90s animated series episode by episode with an older and comedic eye. Nice to hear appreciation for a show that I've always loved.

Ooh!

This Election Year, I fell hardcore into 538's podcast, generally hosted by Galen Druke and infrequently including Nate Silver himself, who's provided humor by not GAF about people's thoughts on how polls work. It's pretty funny to hear him swear about people being idiots.

The Ezra Klein Show also has great discussions with thoughtful people. I first heard him last year when Contrapoints was featured, but his episode this year with Stuart Stevens I found to be captivating. I've subscribed ever since.

I'll second Mike's recommendation of Cerebro. I'd also recommend the Emma Frost, Cyclops, and Iceman episodes. I spend a lot of time thinking about X-Men (it's the only weekly books I read anymore) so it's a nice way to get caught up on continuity. It's not as Deep Dive as Jay and Miles but definitely easier to cover the small stuff.

On 11/12/2020 at 10:21 PM, The Master said:

Cerebro, which just released its 11th episode, is an amazing look into individual X-Men. Each episode begins with a little banter and a "how did you get into [X-character]", then delves into a character file, then the meat of the show. The most recent episode gets into Beast, but really the larger X-world and how the current X-books relate directly to real-world politics. It's a must-listen.

On 11/14/2020 at 2:52 PM, dc20willsave said:

I'll second Mike's recommendation of Cerebro. I'd also recommend the Emma Frost, Cyclops, and Iceman episodes. I spend a lot of time thinking about X-Men (it's the only weekly books I read anymore) so it's a nice way to get caught up on continuity. It's not as Deep Dive as Jay and Miles but definitely easier to cover the small stuff.

Thirded.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pod Save America is a solid political podcast by some very funny former staffers of the Obama Administration, but goddamn if they don't have the most and longest ads I've ever heard. Most podcasts with ads have like one or two and they're typically 90 seconds, 2-3 minutes at the most. These shits go on for six minutes regular. I cannot stand it. I feel like most of the episode is me navigating through the time stamps to find out when they get back to the news discussions.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

The Soundtrack Show by David W. Collins. An absolute most-listen for anyone who's enjoyed John Williams' music for Star Wars (hi, @Missy, @Dan, and @KnightWing!), along with his other key film scores (Jaws, Superman, Jurassic Park etc). It also has episodes (often in multiple parts) devoted to the music of Danny Elfman, classic films like Casablanca and Psycho, the themes of The Legend of Zelda (and Ocarina of Time in particular), and many more!

That's a great show, I've listened to the Zelda episodes, I've been meaning to check out more.

The Art of the Score is another great soundtrack-centric podcast, the last episodes (for now, hopefully) are about studio fanfares, which I find a really fascinating topic to share research about.

I've been listening to Godzillavangelists lately, it's one of those "longtime fan introduces friends to a franchise" shows and it's been fun hearing newbies develop an earnest appreciation for this series while still not having childhood nostalgia goggles for the stuff fans take for granted.

• 7 months later...

Norah Jones is Playing Along.  It is just great.  I absolutely adore Norah Jones already, so there is that.  But listening to musicians shoot the shit and then jam together is awesome.  Only finished five episodes, but the Questlove & Christian McBride episode is the best.  Great jazz covers and a random 5 minute history of drum technique demo.  I've listened to the first 30 minutes, probably ten times, which for a podcast is unheard of.