What Podcasts are You Listening To?

Guest DCAUFan1051

I might check out Limetown. Lore is really good. 

For those who were fans of Mondo Movie, the guys are back with a new podcast called Streampunk discussing more accessible films (in the sense that they're easy to find on streaming services) in the weird and wild cinematic world, with a keener eye towards a film club style approach. It's short too, which is good.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several years ago, I spent about thirty seconds seriously considering pitching Mike a G.I. Joe podcast, but realized almost immediately it would be almost impossible to do a long-form show about a series that (the occasional utterly bugfuck nuts episode aside) largely had the same plot day in and day out: COBRA builds/steals a weapon, uses said weapon to unleash craziness, there's a fight, evil is vanquished.

However, it turns out it can be done. Knowing is Half the Podcast is three friends going through the series episode by episode, breaking each one up with a look at a particular character or an interview with someone associated with the series. It's a very, very funny show, with one host unable to contain his fanboy enthusiasm, another who looks at everything like it's the dumbest thing he's ever seen, and a third who's somewhere in the middle but game for anything.

The Rachel Deering episode of Brian Keene's The Horror Show podcast has some more damning stuff about Marvel. Major runaround from editorial, especially CB Cebulski, who is supposed to manage their talent, not knowing that Keene, a NYT Bestselling Author had ever even written for them.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Presidents Are People Too! Distributed for free via Audible though a few are also available through iTunes. Each episode, the hosts (a comedian and historian) dissect a random U.S. president's history and personality and how it impacted their administration and legacy. Highlights so far include the reading of Nixon's post-Watergate memoirs and a discussion of Coolidge's depression.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The bOrgcast- Been a casual listener since Dave first mentioned the program in The Phantom review. Mostly going back over the episodes covering Season 7 of TNG and Season 2 of DS9 nowadays while trying to avoid spoilers about later seasons of the latter. Highly recommend episode 8.M ("His tears look like wee") and M6 ("Christmas on Qo'noS"), which review Generations and The Undiscovered Country, respectively.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I guess this is as good a place to ask as any:  Anyone know how to fix a podcast that will not download in iTunes?  I have tried all the normal things (unsubscribe, resubscribe, delete and try again) to no avail.  It was only happening to a new podcast I was going to try, but now it is happening to a podcast I've listen to for a while with no issue.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I recently got hooked on You’re Dead To Me and Evil Genius, both history podcasts from the BBC hosted by comedians (Greg Jenner and Russell Kane, respectively). Evil Genius is generally the funnier of the two but You’re Dead To Me is more informative and the better program if you’re actually interested in history (paging a certain Mr. I. Wilson).

Mortal Podkast: I don't know if anyone would have thought that telling a Mortal Kombat character's story from beginning to end, episode by episode, would make for a good podcast but it is surprisingly engaging. The host does a great job finding the emotional hook for each character; I play these games but I have a much better appreciation for them now. I have no idea what he'll do for the characters with significantly less material, but I'm sure it'll be fun to listen to.

• 3 months later...

I am nine days into no longer having a job where I can listen to podcasts all day.  I guess I didn't really comprehend just how many podcasts I listened to in a week.  It is impossible to keep up while I'm at home.  Impossible. 

Since the beginning of April, my backlog has increased by over 100 episodes.  Seemingly out of nowhere. 

2 hours ago, Professor said:

I am nine days into no longer having a job where I can listen to podcasts all day.  I guess I didn't really comprehend just how many podcasts I listened to in a week.  It is impossible to keep up while I'm at home.  Impossible. 

Since the beginning of April, my backlog has increased by over 100 episodes.  Seemingly out of nowhere. 

Similar boat here. Somehow I am months behind on podcasts and YouTube series, despite working from home for three-plus months and, now, only being back in the office twice a week. Not sure how this worked out.

I've been lucky enough that my workplace has been largely closed to the public for the last few months. I was mostly just listening to music for the first couple of months but been doing more podcast listening in the last couple.

• "Jay and Miles XPlain the X-Men" has been my go to for Mondays even before the Pandemic started. They just wrapped up their coverage of the Age of Apocalypse so now it's covering the slow, exhausting road to Onslaught.
  • "Musicalsplaining" is a podcast where Video Essayist Lindsay Ellis and her friend Kaveh Taherian talk about musicals. She likes them, he never cared for them. Its funny.
  • Since Survivor isn't going to be back in 2020, I've been listening to a lot of retrospectives on the series and Social Strategy games in general.

The various Earth-2 podcasts, obviously.

One podcast I've started in the last year is "We Hate Movies." Very funny, but not as good as the Tranquil Tirades.

Tyrus and Timpf is also quite funny as they look at silly news stories of the week.

Also, The Ringer NBA podcast and ESPN's NBA podcast.

I listen to a bunch of conservative podcasts and news podcasts, as well.