Everything DC

JackFetch

If he's looking at the new 52 Gail Simone run, that'll only happen if he hopes on improving the material like the Russo brothers did with Civil War. Simone's run was grimdark garbage, possibly due to Editorial mandates. But the Burnside Batgirl makes for a great movie. Gives her a solid supporting cast and everything.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I'm all for more YJ, which to my mind is to Post-Crisis DC what Batman: Brave and the Bold was to Silver Age DC.

I still object to a live action Titans series, because you know they're just going to water it down. I sure can't wait to see Starfire, Raven and Nightwing all in leather jackets and jeans not use their powers and get nerfed by loser villains in between their scenes of cliche'd drama.

Unless I'm wrong and it's awesome.

One of the additions they made to the animated adaptation of The Killing Joke was a terrible decision. Spoilers:

Batman and Batgirl have sex. this makes the "fridging" of Batgirl even worse, because Batman's primary concern is Jim Gordon, not his new lover.

Plus. it is creepy and icky.

Batman basically got it on with his son's former girlfriend. Nightwing is, for all intents and purposes, Batman's son.

Ew. I mean, seriously. Ew.

Plus, he banged his best friend's daughter. His best friend's much younger daughter.

This crosses so many lines.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So Batman and Harley Quinn:

In addition to the animation style, there are a couple nods that make it seem like this is definitely in the DCAU continuity, including...

Spoiler

Harley Quinn referencing Nightwing's mullet and the assumed past relationship between Harley and Poison Ivy.

But it isn't perfect. First:

Spoiler

Nightwing and Harley have sex. A little sudden, and the joke about Nightwing hiding his erection as Harley is seducing him was more crass than it needed to be.

Plus, it is very violent (more graphic than BTAS or other DCAU shows, certainly) and has language that is definitely more graphic than what we are used to in the DCAU. It earns the PG-13 rating. Not appropriate for kids.

I'm not averse to violence and gore, but I don't like it at this level in a cartoon that (at least as far as I can tell) continues the DCAU. There is plenty of adult content in other DC animated offerings, so it is a little disappointing to see it here.

Story-wise, I liked it. The way they managed to stop the Floronic Man was forced, and it could have been a five minute short had someone figured out this very obvious solution in the opening scene.

Spoiler

Whip out a blowtorch or a frickin' book of matches as the hapless security guards are getting massacred by the hulking Floronic Man in the opening scene, and No Movie!!! Way too easy.

I would be curious as to what @James D. and @The Master think, if they have seen it yet.

My grade? Despite my criticisms, B+

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gal Gadot is a key factor towards Wonder Woman (both film & character) being so popular that a) her film was wildly successful and b) she was most people's favourite thing about Dawn of Justice. This should be the proverbial "no brainer" for WB, but then the current iteration of Warner Bros. films are not known for their brains.

7 hours ago, slothian said:

Gal Gadot is a key factor towards Wonder Woman (both film & character) being so popular that a) her film was wildly successful and b) she was most people's favourite thing about Dawn of Justice. This should be the proverbial "no brainer" for WB, but then the current iteration of Warner Bros. films are not known for their brains.

Seriously think about this: Gal Gadot is the ONLY woman in Hollywood with this pull. It's sad but true. Think of someone else. I mean, people will listen to Meryl Streep and Angelina Jolie, but none of them are the thing standing between the studio and a billion dollar movie. Maybe Jennifer Lawrence during the Hunger Games days, but NO OTHER WOMAN in Hollywood has near enough of a bargaining chip as Gadot does right now. I already fucking loved her, but man....