Everything DC

JackFetch

People didn't go crazy over the JL film plans because they weren't gonna line up with the Nolan films, they were upset because it was gonna suck ass.

The main reason people were mad was because they weren't using Nolan's Batman. Even Bale was mad about it. Nobody knows if it was going to be good or not. Like I said the main reason I don't like what they are doing is because it looks like they don't have a plan. That's the main thing Marvel got right. They announced their line up for the next 5 years. DC has nothing planned after next year except a GL sequel.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People didn't go crazy over the JL film plans because they weren't gonna line up with the Nolan films, they were upset because it was gonna suck ass.

The main reason people were mad was because they weren't using Nolan's Batman. Even Bale was mad about it. Nobody knows if it was going to be good or not. Like I said the main reason I don't like what they are doing is because it looks like they don't have a plan. That's the main thing Marvel got right. They announced their line up for the next 5 years. DC has nothing planned after next year except a GL sequel.

And Superman by the Nolans, and Batman 3.

And Superman by the Nolans, and Batman 3.

Those haven't been officially announced by DC and have no release dates. Superman won't even start filming until 2012 at the earliest if it gets made at all. Why can't they do something besides Superman and Batman?

Wait wait wait...

So... because DC hasn't given out release dates for everything yet, it's all gloom and doom? Like I said, Marvel announcing fifty billion films at once was a really, really crazy move. Just because DC didn't opt for the same strategy doesn't mean their plan is gonna suck.

If anything, look to the Harry Potter films; that was Diane Nelson's last project. Those movies have been semi-consistently released and are, overall, very good. And that's just one series, not several like DC has.

Besides Batman and GL, it's already been confirmed that there's Superman coming, as well as scripts for Flash and a GL sequel. And that's just the stuff we know is already being worked on. Let's not assume the worst for the moment.

Wait wait wait...

So... because DC hasn't given out release dates for everything yet, it's all gloom and doom? Like I said, Marvel announcing fifty billion films at once was a really, really crazy move. Just because DC didn't opt for the same strategy doesn't mean their plan is gonna suck.

If anything, look to the Harry Potter films; that was Diane Nelson's last project. Those movies have been semi-consistently released and are, overall, very good. And that's just one series, not several like DC has.

Besides Batman and GL, it's already been confirmed that there's Superman coming, as well as scripts for Flash and a GL sequel. And that's just the stuff we know is already being worked on. Let's not assume the worst for the moment.

WB is a terrible movie company that doesn't know how to use anything besides an obvious moneymaker. Harry Potter is done so they are going back to the Batman well. I'll believe Superman is being made when someone besides Nolan announces it. They need to announce movies, and then release dates to keep reminding people the movies are really coming. I'm surprised they actually had the balls to make Green Lantern because they've been sitting on billion dollar properties for so long it's like they forgot they have them. At least Marvel was letting other companies use their characters and made money that way before they decided to make movies themselves.

Of all the major studios Warner Bros is far and away the best

Ditto with that.

Is Fox any worse? Or Disney?

Really, easy money or not, Harry Potter showed that WB at least has the gall to make movies that are 90% accurate/respectful to the source material. And they're great movies. What other studio would actually do that? Honestly?

God forbid my opinion is different than yours. Now back to news:

There's been a lot of anticipation and chatter about DC Entertainment's ongoing plans to bring the DC Universe characters to the big screen, which begins in earnest on June 17, 2011 with Martin Campbell's Green Lantern ("GL" to the cool kids) starring Ryan Reynolds. One guy who certainly will play a key part in that plan is GL producer and co-writer Greg Berlanti, who came to New York to talk about his upcoming comedy Life As We Know It.

ComingSoon.net/SuperHeroHype had a chance to sit down with him and ask him a couple questions about his involvement in those plans, and he gave us a quick update on what he's focusing on at the moment:

"We are working on the treatment for the second film actually, we just started working on that with the same guys who I did the original with. (Michael Green and Marc Guggenheim) Those two guys are also writing a script based on a treatment we wrote for 'The Flash,' so that's my involvement with DC right now is the script for 'The Flash' and the treatment for 'GL2'."

A couple things we were interested in learning more about was the tone of the movies, as well as how they'll bring the mythology from the comics into the movie universe. Berlanti had some really interesting ideas about Barry Allen's character, involving his job as a crime scene investigator, which certainly will give the movie a different spin than some may be expecting:

"'GL' is always a bit lighter than that on earth but mixed with a twinge of the space opera, which has its own epic qualities to it. 'Flash' as we're getting into it is interesting, too. Though Barry Allen was a little lighter in the comic, I think because of the nature that he was a CSI and moved in this world of crime before this stuff happened. I think it's tonally somewhere in between 'GL' and 'Dark Knight.' It's actually a little bit darker than when we were working on ('GL), because you're dealing with somebody who is already a crimefighter in a world of those kinds of criminals and that kind of murder and homicide. I find you talk a lot about different films when you're working on a film, and we spend a lot more time talking about 'Se7en' or 'The Silence of the Lambs' as we construct that part of Barry's world, then I thought when we got into it. It helps balance a guy in a red suit who runs really fast."

Being that a lot of Green Lantern's mythology is going to be introduced in that movie, we were curious which aspects of the Flash comics might make it into the first movie, asking in particular about the Rogues' Gallery and the time travel aspect of the comics:

"A third thing I'd throw at you is alternate dimensions, so it's true that we want to find the things that make it… With 'GL,' we used to say there's a space opera component and then there's the down on earth. In 'The Flash,' there's the sci-fi component and there's the crime component and it's fitting those two things together, and the sci-fi thing, we obviously want to nail that and honor that and do that in a way that feels visceral and real and cool and probably more in the tone of 'The Matrix" films or things like that. I always think of 'The Flash' stories where he met Jay Garrick and knows there was Earth Prime and things like that. There's an avenue for these films to broaden the DC Film Universe in that way, so that's the hope."

The idea of the movies possibly introducing the other Flash and Green Lantern and thereby making some sort of Earth-2 Justice Society (JSA) possible certainly sounds very cool, although Berlanti remains non-committal about whether he might direct that "Flash" movie, preferring to focus on the script and figuring that important factor once it's done.

"When we have the script together, I'll probably sit down with Warner Bros. and want to decide what's best for that movie. It's so hard when you're working on the material, the script too, because if I thought about it just as a director I would freak myself out but when I think about it just as a writer, we try so many different things. It's like, 'I don't even know how we're going to do that but what if we did this or what if we showed this?' It's more freeing and liberating so I haven't really thought beyond the script right now for it.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/107752-exclusive-script-for-the-flash-and-gl2-treatment-in-progress

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The recently announced "Batman Live" stage show is gearing up for its British launch in summer 2011 with plans for shows in North America by mid-2012. Now, the Manchester Evening News has updates on what fans can expect when the caped crusader takes to the stage.

Launching July 20th, 2011, "Batman Live" will premiere at the M.E.N. Arena and is said to feature quite a few members of Batman's rouges gallery, combined with "aerial acrobatics, martial arts [and] stunning special effects".

The story is said to focus on Dick Grayson's origin, as he finds himself adopted by Bruce Wayne and fighting at Batman's side as Robin. Guaranteed appearances include Catwoman, The Joker, The Riddler and the Batmobile.

Nick Grace, responsible for the stage show "Walking With Dinosaurs", promises that the performance will not be a musical and that the narrative is, in fact, light on dialogue all around. As for the overall tone, he notes his intention to have a family friendly iteration of the character while maintaining Batman's famously darker elements.

Description of the set design includes mention of a 130ft video monitor that will play both set backdrops and narrative animation, while a runway stage will jutt out into the audience.

Tickets for the UK and The Republic of Ireland will go on sale on Friday 12th November 2010. For more information visit BatmanLive.com.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/110869-more-details-on-batman-live

• 3 months later...

The press release:

Warner Bros. Consumer Products (WBCP), DC Entertainment and Nick Grace of Water Lane Productions Ltd (WLP) announced today, that BATMAN LIVE – a unique action-packed live show – will focus on the story of young Dick Grayson (Robin), a circus performer who loses his parents to organised crime.

Faithfully adapted from the DC Comics characters and stories, BATMAN LIVE focuses on Robin’s quest for justice, which leads him to follow in the footsteps of his hero, the mysterious vigilante known as the Batman – much to the dismay of his protective guardian, millionaire Bruce Wayne – who secretly happens to be Batman.

This dynamic triangle resolves itself in a non-stop thrill-ride across Gotham City that transforms Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson into the legendary crime-fighters Batman and Robin and transports the audience from the Big Top of Haly’s Circus to the lower depths of Arkham Asylum – from the glittering peaks of the Penguin’s Iceberg Lounge to the subterranean wonders that await inside the Batcave, which features a revolutionary, all-new Batmobile designed exclusively for BATMAN LIVE.

A dazzling celebration of storytelling and stagecraft, BATMAN LIVE is at its heart an affecting coming of age story. Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson – both orphaned at an early age – must first learn to overcome their own fears and forge their own family – along with Police Commissioner James Gordon and Bruce’s trusted butler, Alfred Pennyworth – if they’re going to survive the combined forces of Batman’s larger-than-life rogues gallery: The Joker, The Penguin, Catwoman, The Riddler, Two-Face, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy.

BATMAN LIVE will tour arenas for the first time ever across the UK and Europe, beginning in summer 2011 and arriving in North America by summer 2012. Opening in Manchester on 19th July 2011 and visiting Newcastle, Glasgow, Sheffield, Birmingham, London, Liverpool, Nottingham, Dublin and Belfast, tickets for BATMAN LIVE are on sale now.

BATMAN LIVE, a unique and innovative theatrical experience, is an arena spectacular that combines acrobatics, daredevil stunt work, illusions, and cutting-edge design to bring the adventures of Batman and Robin to life on stage for the first time in the characters’ history. BATMAN LIVE will be written by Allan Heinberg, with the original story by Stan Berkowitz & Alan Burnett, and Allan Heinberg.

“The passion the creative team behind BATMAN LIVE shares for the character can be seen throughout every aspect of this production,” said Geoff Johns, Chief Creative Officer, DC Entertainment. “And the storyline, the origin of Robin, is something that is going to create a truly unforgettable live show.”

Allan Heinberg said: “I am delighted to be joining a team as committed to delivering an unparalleled visual spectacle, as they are to telling a compelling, emotional story. BATMAN LIVE is lovingly faithful to the characters and their distinguished history and it provides a unique opportunity for new and lifelong fans to experience Batman and his world as they never have before.”

Allan Heinberg’s writing and producing credits include: Party of Five, Sex and the City, Gilmore Girls, The OC, Grey’s Anatomy and The Amazon’s Voice, his first play. Heinberg also developed the animated series Legion of Super Heroes for Warner Bros. Animation. He is the writer and co-creator of Marvel Comic’s Young Avengers and currently writes Marvel’s Avengers: The Children’s Crusade. His other comics work includes JLA (with Geoff Johns), Superman/Batman, Wonder Woman, and Uncanny X-Men.

Allan Heinberg is joined by comic book legends, Stan Berkowitz and Alan Burnett, in the creation of the original story.

“We are very excited and privileged to have the opportunity of working with such an outstanding and passionate team of writers” said Nick Grace, Executive Producer of BATMAN LIVE. “The story that has been created for this show is truly inspiring and will appeal to audiences of all ages.”

Stan Berkowitz’s animated TV writing credits include The New Batman/Superman Adventures, Spider-Man, Batman Beyond, Justice League, Ben 10 and The 99. He won Daytime Emmys® in 1998 and 2001, and in 2009, he received the Writers Guild of America’s Lifetime Achievement Award for Animation Writing. He currently lives in Southern California with his wife, Teagan Clive.

Alan Burnett (four-time Emmy® Award winner) scripted episodes of Batman: The Animated Series, the Emmy®-winning production. He began his animation career at Hanna-Barbera Studios with Super Friends in 1981. His awards include four Emmy® Awards, three Annie Awards and two Humanitas Prizes. His work within the Batman realm includes series producer on Batman and Superman and Batman Beyond, and most recently as supervising producer and story editor for Warner Bros. Animation’s award-winning series The Batman. Burnett also co-produced and co-wrote the animated feature film Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, was supervising producer and writer for Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, and served as producer on the feature-length Batman Beyond: Return of The Joker. He also served as story editor and wrote one of the segments of the DC Universe animated original movie, Batman Gotham Knight, and scripted the DCU film Green Lantern: First Flight.

BATMAN LIVE is a live-action, super-heroic spectacle of unprecedented scale that is every bit as human, touching, and inspiring as it is spectacular.

Tickets for UK and the Republic of Ireland are on sale now.
 For more information go to www.batmanlive.com

The press release:

Warner Bros. Consumer Products (WBCP), DC Entertainment and Nick Grace of Water Lane Productions Ltd (WLP) announced today, that BATMAN LIVE – a unique action-packed live show – will focus on the story of young Dick Grayson (Robin), a circus performer who loses his parents to organised crime.

Faithfully adapted from the DC Comics characters and stories, BATMAN LIVE focuses on Robin’s quest for justice, which leads him to follow in the footsteps of his hero, the mysterious vigilante known as the Batman – much to the dismay of his protective guardian, millionaire Bruce Wayne – who secretly happens to be Batman.

This dynamic triangle resolves itself in a non-stop thrill-ride across Gotham City that transforms Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson into the legendary crime-fighters Batman and Robin and transports the audience from the Big Top of Haly’s Circus to the lower depths of Arkham Asylum – from the glittering peaks of the Penguin’s Iceberg Lounge to the subterranean wonders that await inside the Batcave, which features a revolutionary, all-new Batmobile designed exclusively for BATMAN LIVE.

A dazzling celebration of storytelling and stagecraft, BATMAN LIVE is at its heart an affecting coming of age story. Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson – both orphaned at an early age – must first learn to overcome their own fears and forge their own family – along with Police Commissioner James Gordon and Bruce’s trusted butler, Alfred Pennyworth – if they’re going to survive the combined forces of Batman’s larger-than-life rogues gallery: The Joker, The Penguin, Catwoman, The Riddler, Two-Face, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy.

BATMAN LIVE will tour arenas for the first time ever across the UK and Europe, beginning in summer 2011 and arriving in North America by summer 2012. Opening in Manchester on 19th July 2011 and visiting Newcastle, Glasgow, Sheffield, Birmingham, London, Liverpool, Nottingham, Dublin and Belfast, tickets for BATMAN LIVE are on sale now.

BATMAN LIVE, a unique and innovative theatrical experience, is an arena spectacular that combines acrobatics, daredevil stunt work, illusions, and cutting-edge design to bring the adventures of Batman and Robin to life on stage for the first time in the characters’ history. BATMAN LIVE will be written by Allan Heinberg, with the original story by Stan Berkowitz & Alan Burnett, and Allan Heinberg.

“The passion the creative team behind BATMAN LIVE shares for the character can be seen throughout every aspect of this production,” said Geoff Johns, Chief Creative Officer, DC Entertainment. “And the storyline, the origin of Robin, is something that is going to create a truly unforgettable live show.”

Allan Heinberg said: “I am delighted to be joining a team as committed to delivering an unparalleled visual spectacle, as they are to telling a compelling, emotional story. BATMAN LIVE is lovingly faithful to the characters and their distinguished history and it provides a unique opportunity for new and lifelong fans to experience Batman and his world as they never have before.”

Allan Heinberg’s writing and producing credits include: Party of Five, Sex and the City, Gilmore Girls, The OC, Grey’s Anatomy and The Amazon’s Voice, his first play. Heinberg also developed the animated series Legion of Super Heroes for Warner Bros. Animation. He is the writer and co-creator of Marvel Comic’s Young Avengers and currently writes Marvel’s Avengers: The Children’s Crusade. His other comics work includes JLA (with Geoff Johns), Superman/Batman, Wonder Woman, and Uncanny X-Men.

Allan Heinberg is joined by comic book legends, Stan Berkowitz and Alan Burnett, in the creation of the original story.

“We are very excited and privileged to have the opportunity of working with such an outstanding and passionate team of writers” said Nick Grace, Executive Producer of BATMAN LIVE. “The story that has been created for this show is truly inspiring and will appeal to audiences of all ages.”

Stan Berkowitz’s animated TV writing credits include The New Batman/Superman Adventures, Spider-Man, Batman Beyond, Justice League, Ben 10 and The 99. He won Daytime Emmys® in 1998 and 2001, and in 2009, he received the Writers Guild of America’s Lifetime Achievement Award for Animation Writing. He currently lives in Southern California with his wife, Teagan Clive.

Alan Burnett (four-time Emmy® Award winner) scripted episodes of Batman: The Animated Series, the Emmy®-winning production. He began his animation career at Hanna-Barbera Studios with Super Friends in 1981. His awards include four Emmy® Awards, three Annie Awards and two Humanitas Prizes. His work within the Batman realm includes series producer on Batman and Superman and Batman Beyond, and most recently as supervising producer and story editor for Warner Bros. Animation’s award-winning series The Batman. Burnett also co-produced and co-wrote the animated feature film Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, was supervising producer and writer for Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman, and served as producer on the feature-length Batman Beyond: Return of The Joker. He also served as story editor and wrote one of the segments of the DC Universe animated original movie, Batman Gotham Knight, and scripted the DCU film Green Lantern: First Flight.

BATMAN LIVE is a live-action, super-heroic spectacle of unprecedented scale that is every bit as human, touching, and inspiring as it is spectacular.

Tickets for UK and the Republic of Ireland are on sale now.
 For more information go to www.batmanlive.com

Yeah, it's been advertised in the local press for the last couple of months. I might go & see it when it hits Newcastle.