Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

Astounding Wolf-Man #10 (W: Robert Kirkman, A: Jason Howard) - Who would've thought a comic superhero werewolf would work? I didn't, but Kirkman's been knocking it out of the park. The wolf-man in question is still on the run and preparing to face his mentor turned enemy, the vampire Zechariah. While the book is about the wolf-man, it's Zechariah who's the standout character in the book, reinforced by the origin story told in this issue. Howard's artwork is top notch as usual, can't imagine this book without him. Overall, one of the best issues to date. 8/10.

Invincible #57 (W: Robert Kirkman, A: Ryan Ottley) and Astounding Wolf-Man #11 (W: Robert Kirkman, A: Jason Howard) - I'm reviewing these together as they made up a two part crossover. This was my first time reading Invincible, and sadly, I didn't find anything that made me want to read another issue right away. I plan on giving the first trade a try, but it's at the bottom of my list. One thing I did like was that the art styles were pretty similar, in part to both books having the same colorists. It was a solid crossover, moving the story along in Wolf-Man instead of taking a break for it to be told. 8/10.

Atomic Robo: Dogs of War #5 of 5 (W: Brian Clevinger, A: Scott Wegener) - Man, was this mini-series disappointing. I loved the first Atomic Robo adventure, but this was a big drop from that. And the problem isn't the art, Wegener's still drawing great stuff, it's the script. It's not funny. I know the story is set in World War II and more serious than the first mini, but one of the best aspects of Robo is the humor. And it just wasn't here. The ending also felt incomplete, like there were a few pages missing. The back-up tied right into the story, and had a great twist, but also felt a page or two short. It wasn't disappointing enough that I won't be picking up the next mini-series, but it was a big let down after the first mini. 7/10.

Final Crisis Secret Files (W: Len Wein, Greg Rucka, and Grant Morrison, A: Tony Shasteen and J.G. Jones) - The Libra story was interesting as I'd never read the original stories he was in, the Crime Bible page was unnecessary, the Morrison page was the best part of the issue, but too short, and the pages based on Nix Uotan's sketches were a nice touch. It wasn't horrible, but it was, like Des said, unnecessary. 5/10.

Total

Comic Books: 9

TPBs: 1

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 0

Astounding Wolf-Man #10, Astounding Wolf-Man #11, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5 of 5, Batman #684, Final Crisis Secret Files, Guardians of The Galaxy #8, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Kick-Ass #5, Vimanarama TPB

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Avengers #48 - Kind of a nothing issue for me, picking up the pieces of Secret Invasion (because really, 30 dedicated issues of New Avengers wasn't enough of a focus on the Skrulls) and following the abduction of Cage and Jessica's baby, which is a plot thread I really don't give two craps about. Billy Tan's artwork was genuinely terrible from cover to cover, stealing the flexibility and personality from Spider-Man, turning Wolverine into a 500-pounder, making the new Cap look even stiffer than usual and putting Osborn's head on the body of an American Gladiator. Bendis gave Logan a great line though, offering a drink to Iron Fist. "My body is a temple." "Then put beer in your temple." Still, that line alone wasn't worth $2.99.

3/10

Ultimate Spider-Man #129 - I guess if they're discontinuing UFF, Bendis plans to keep Johnny Storm active in this series? A few interesting turns that should be fun to see play out,

like Johnny's crush on Parker's female clone... can't wait to see how that one goes

. Mostly a character issue, with about three frames of Peter in his Spidey threads and four pages of action, but that's par for the course as far as USM goes. Immonen's work has begun to slide of late, and he looks really, really Bagley-esque here. I like the cliffhanger the issue ended with, but I have a feeling Ultimatum's tidal wave is going to hit NYC in time to ruin that storyline before it gets moving. Not the best issue, but worthwhile anyway.

6/10

Comics: 6, TPB: 1

Detective comics: Faces of evil: Hush.

I love the hush character, and heart of hush was really a great story to me. This issue involves hush taking over and narrating a stroy abouit himself after the events of heart of Hush and it is such a great read and I really enjoyed it, the storytelling was good and the art was really nice.

I give it an 8 out of 10.

The second part takes place in Batman and I really hope Paul Dini is writing that and it has the same artist as I don't want all of Dinis hard work on Hush to go to waste and be like Denny O'neils two issue cross over between detetcive and batman-Easily forgetable.

Total

Comic Books: 9

Well, I refuse to defend this book because god knows it's a gigantic chunky turd, but I read that as Hawkeye wishing he had a gun so he could take care of the Blob.

But he said it before he saw the Blob.

He said it after he asked Yellowjacket to put him down, presumably because his "enhanced vision" allowed him to see what was going on in the alleyway and he didn't want Hank to freak out.

Detective Comics #852- Nice coda to the last Hush storyline but I can't help but think it might have been better served being decompressed over several issues. It all came around too quickly. That being said I am in favor of the general direction of the character, it will certainly be interesting to have him around as he is when Bruce Wayne is wherever he is after Final Crisis.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer #21- Harmony-centric storyline? I was so excited, and yet this like Detective before it just tried too hard to cram this all in. Why couldn't this have been spread over 3 issues so it interwove with the existing universe more effectively?

Secret Six #5- Still a fun book with some crazy characters. This big evil's method of execution is both sick and hilarious at the same time. Oddly enough this book contained a scene very similar to my final book, and it was nowhere near as effective. Par for the course for the 6, I'm getting it more on the strength of my affection for the team than my appreciation of each issue, this might be one to relegate to trades.

Walking Dead #57- No other book has me so excited to hold the next issue and leaves me feeling sick inside so often. This is horror in its purest form, not of monsters or demons but of mans inhumanity to man. Buy this series.

Total

Comic Books: 12

TPBs: 0

Detective Comics #852- Nice coda to the last Hush storyline but I can't help but think it might have been better served being decompressed over several issues. It all came around too quickly. That being said I am in favor of the general direction of the character, it will certainly be interesting to have him around as he is when Bruce Wayne is wherever he is after Final Crisis.

I agree that it did feel a little rushed, but it did what it had to do which was give a nice bookend to heart of hush, though I'm saying that before the next issue of batman comes out.

You have to admit, what Hush did throughtout the issue was very entertaining.

Though I have to ask

When did Catwoman take all of Tommy Elliots money? Was that meant to have happen between issues and we are just learning in the aftermath, or did I miss something.

Hush/Tommy Elliot is awesome.

I have a hush figure at the front of my shelf and it is awesome looking.

If Hush is to be made into a live action batman movie Michael C Hall has to play him, whenever I read one of the Hush storys i hear Michael C Halls dexter voice.

Also I'm currently reading batman:Tales of the demon. It has the original set of Ra's Al Ghul storys and is very good so far.

Also I just read that Dini is writing and having the same art team in Batman as he did for part one of the Heart of hush aftermath. Yay.

I agree that it did feel a little rushed, but it did what it had to do which was give a nice bookend to heart of hush, though I'm saying that before the next issue of batman comes out.

You have to admit, what Hush did throughtout the issue was very entertaining.

Though I have to ask

When did Catwoman take all of Tommy Elliots money? Was that meant to have happen between issues and we are just learning in the aftermath, or did I miss something.

That was the end of the last issue I think, you must have just missed it.

I'd also like to point out that three of the four comics I got today prominently feature people biting chunks out of other people's necks. When did this become the brutal finisher du jour for writers?

If Hush is to be made into a live action batman movie Michael C Hall has to play him, whenever I read one of the Hush storys i hear Michael C Halls dexter voice.

Someone once said to me that HUSH is a glamorized fanfic. I can see that -- but it's one of the rare story lines that's entertaining, has all the characters, had Jim Lee illustrate it, and get the Bruce/Selina relationship right. So who the hell cares!

Also I'm currently reading batman:Tales of the demon. It has the original set of Ra's Al Ghul storys and is very good so far.

They used to have that online on the batmanbegins website. It might still be there. The art work is beautiful! I saw the Demon's Quest in BAS first, and then I read the comic. It's one of my favorite story lines. This is when I still liked Talia.

Lucifer Collected Volume 2 - Children and Monsters: Let it be said straight off the bat that I have yet to read all of the way through Sandman, much less all the way through this (but if you know where I can find all of this, please, direct me!). I love the way they use various mythologies in here, I love Lucifer as a character period, I love the way they sneak in little cameos (Contsantine!, references to Sandman!), and I absolutely adore Elaine. Want more of this.

Lucifer Collected Volume 11 - Evensong: Yeah, I went straight from Children and Monsters to this. So I'm lacking context, probably, and I don't have much of an idea what happened in the interim. But,

Elaine is now God. And I love the sense of duality in the omnipotence of God in a teenage girl. And the fact that she goes out of her way to wrap things up (and, in turn, wrapping up loose plot threads) before becoming one with Creation so that she doesn't lose sight of the big picture is an amazing way to think of making sure things go right.

She's probably one of my favorite characters ever.

And the discussion between Yahweh and Lucifer in the void was absolutely beautiful.

. It's also quite nice to see Dream and his conversation with Lucifer, as well. As befits the last volume, there's a sense of finalness but still a sense of "things go on", in a way. This has pretty much cemented that I need to find the entirety of this so that I can actually understand what's going on.

This volume also includes the one-off Nirvana. I don't know who did the artwork for this, but it reminds me of Alex Ross' work on Kingdom Come; there's a soft kind of haze around everything, which fits the etherealness of it all perfectly, and the realistic artwork works especially well in the context of memory. The plot's a little hard to wrap your head around at first, but it makes more and more sense as you read through it.

Totals:

Comic Books: 0

TPBs: 2

The Pro by Garth Ennis- Feels like a direct precursor to The Boys in many ways, although its a lot simpler overall. The story of a foulmouthed crass prostitute given superpowers interacting with a silver age Justice League analogue, The Pro is pretty much an origin story with Ennis given full license to be as disgusting as possible. Its short, its fun, its pretty meaningless after its over. Just like hooking up with a prostitute.

Total

Comic Books: 12

Graphic Novels: 1

Lucifer Collected Volume 3 - A Dalliance With the Damned - Probably my favorite volume that I've read, besides volume 11. More of Elaine figuring out what she can do, and an angel called Duma who RADIATES~ how he's feeling, what with being the Angel of Silence and all. Probably my favorite two characters, right there. Mazikeen continues her search for her face, which brings her to her kin - the Lilium, more background there, which is very appreciated. We also get introduced to a character we'll be seeing again soon and the mechanisms of how hell works without Lucifer; an interesting sidestep, but I didn't like it quite as much as the rest of the volume. Meanwhile, Lucifer tries his hand at creation, which yields some interesting results.

DMZ Collected Volume 1 - On the Ground: Another great series that I've been turned on to by a friend and this site. Excellent and realistic development of an AU situation, seemingly based in what's happening overseas and what might well happen here at some point. Lots of interesting characters and groups introduced who are probably going to become important down the line, and neat development of differences between neighborhoods and how they're all defended.

DMZ Collected Volume 2 - Body of a Journalist: I love what they did with this volume. Politics gets drawn into this big-time; how Roth gets set up by multiple people from his network and the government and how he uses his contacts and own knowledge to his and the people in the DMZ's advantage is great to watch happen. There's more background given to all the characters as well, not to mention a guide to all that Roth's explored and met in the DMZ towards the end of the volume. Can't wait to find more of this.

TPBs: 5

Also got a friend to buy Kingdom Come from the Waldenbooks at the mall's closing sale; I think I've made her an Alex Ross fangirl now. Excerpted from various things she shouted while reading it in two hours: *points to the panel where Spectre comes through the wall of the church* FUCK YEAH! THAT is what the Spectre is supposed to look like - an avenging fucking angel! And the light bloom! What the fuck does the man use, this is beautiful!! (Sidenote: Art student, looking into going into either working for Pixar or doing comic artwork.)

The Flash: Emergency Stop

Harley Quinn: Preludes & Knock-Knock Jokes

Global Frequency: Planet Ablaze

Thoughts during Earth-2.net: The Show 296.

This.

Also, I just finished Infinite Crisis. Yes, I know. Anyway, I really enjoyed it. The story is suitably epic for a "Crisis" mini, and the artwork is spectacular. 8 out of 10.

Trades: 4

New Punisher #1 - I actually loved this, despite getting all kinds of bad vibes from the cheesy cover and the hilariously bad premise of sniping someone with a six-foot long rifle from four miles away. Rick Remender just took Frank and the Sentry, gave them a reason to be angry with each other and let the characters dictate the rest of the action. Basically just a popcorn-chomping action story that explores what would happen if the Punisher and Superman ever faced off, with brains ultimately prevailing over brawn. Dozens of awesome moments, the best of which would have to be Castle opening fire six inches away from the Sentry's face while being carried through the sky. Jerome Opena's artwork is great, too, a tight mix of Sam Kieth and Leinil Francis Yu.

8/10

Daredevil #114 - When it's on, this is my favorite book on the market. Every time I think Matt's reached rock bottom, something new happens to remind me I don't even know what the term means. Sharp, smart dialog, a lights-out supporting cast, fresh new faces every month that fit perfectly into the tapestry and risks aplenty. I don't really care for Lady Bullseye, but that's OK because she didn't even show up this month. Hooray! This is fantastic writing, and the artwork is a perfect match. Lovin' it.

10/10

Also, four contributions for this week's IIWY: Cyblade #2, Fantastic Four #562, Incognito #1 and Proof #15.

Comics: 12, TPB: 1

Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3 and #4 - Considering what I got for IIWY?, I'll save my thoughts on this.

Doctor Who: The Forgotten #5 - IIWY?. How convenient was that?

Scalped #24 - IIWY?

The Goon #31 - IIWY?

Ultimate Hulk Annual #1 - IIWY?

Total

Comic Books: 17

Greatest Hits #4, Gravel #6, Crossed #2, Epilogue #3, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-5, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1

Best of Spider-Man Vol. 4 HC - Started out nice with two real self-contained issues that were enjoyable. However, I did not care for any of the Book of Ezekiel story at all. And I HATED the Sins Past storyline and what that did to the Peter/Gwen relationship.

The Goon #31 (W/A: Eric Powell) - This is my favorite book on the stands bar none. While the basic premise of a strong guy defending his town from the forces of the undead has the potential to get reptitive, Powell packs the book with enough humor, heart, and other monstronsities that it is always a great read. This issue brings a close to a year long storyarc that took the book in a darker direction and changed the status quo. Eric Powell's art is phenominal and Dave Stewart's colors complement it perfectly. If you've never read The Goon, I highly suggest picking up the first volume, Nothin' But Misery. It's a book that isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for those who it's aimed at, it's a damn good cup of tea. 9/10.

Green Lantern #36 (W: Geoff Johns, A: Ivan Reis) - Still one of the best superhero books on the racks. This issues sheds some light on the Blue Lanterns and their plans. The conversation between Sinestro and Atrocitus wa also well done; Sinestro is quickly becoming my favorite DC villain. There's also a mighty big revelation at the end that is sure to have ramification down the line. Ivan Reis' art continues to be excellent. 9/10.

Justice Society of America #22 (W: Geoff Johns, A: Dale Eaglesham and Alex Ross) - Strong end to an (in my opinion) overlong storyline. The highlight of the book is the Alex Ross pages at the end. Fans of Kingdom Come may want to check this out to see what happens to the KC Superman. 8/10.

Nova #20 (W: Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, A: Wellington Alves) - My favorite superhero comic book coming out of Marvel. Nothing majorly serious, just some classic superhero fun. The ending is good in concept, but unfortunately, it suffers heavily from the similarities between the Nova Corps and the Green Lantern Corps. 7/10.

Secret Invasion: War of Kings (W: Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, A: Bong Dazo and Paul Pelletier) - This book serves as the prologue to the War of Kings like the Annihilation ones that preceeded it. It's a pretty strong start; the Inhumans show that they're a force to be reckoned with in the galaxy. Unfortunately, I won't be picking up War of Kings. I followed and greatly enjoyed the previous two cosmic events, but the $3.99 for 32 pages price point coupled with the lack of a cliffhanger that gets me pumped dissuades me from investing in this year's cosmic battle. 8/10.

Superman and Batman: World's Funnest (W: Evan Dorkin, A: Various) - This is without question the funniest superhero book I have ever read. It's an excellent tribute to the Silver Age, while at the same time poking fun at it with dark humor. And as opposed to Age of The Sentry, the Silver Age sequence actually felt like a Silver Age story. Coupled with excellent writing is the excellent artwork. As the story is a multiversal war between Mr. Mxyzptlk and Bat-Mite, there are a number of different universes to be drawn and each one is drawn by a different artist. Each artist is perfectly suited for the universe they draw, for example: Sheldon Moldoff draws the Golden Age heroes of Earth-2, Frank Cho draws the Freedom Fightes (and yes, there's a Phantom Lady gag), Bruce Timm draws the DC Animated Universe (like a storyboard), and there are even several pages of Alex Ross art depicting the Kingdom Come universe. While eight years old, this is still a brilliant book that I give my highest recommendation. 9/10.

Total

Comic Books: 14

Graphic Novels: 1

Astounding Wolf-Man #10, Astounding Wolf-Man #11, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5 of 5, Batman #684, Final Crisis Secret Files, The Goon #31, Green Lantern #36, Guardians of The Galaxy #8, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5, Nova #20, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Vimanarama TPB

Evidently I'm copying Venneh's reading habits this week. ;)

DMZ Volume 1: On the Ground - I'd never had an opportunity to check this series out until I was assigned an issue for IIWY? and am now making up for lost time. An imaginative, well-planned premise, a glimpse into civilization that's sometimes a little too honest, and an explosion around every corner. It's very smart at its core but still manages a thrill a minute, mixing bits and pieces of cinema's best apocalyptic visions of the near-future and military action, like I am Legend meets Black Hawk Down. Although its political motivations are clear, it does give the impression that it's trying to split the narrative evenly between the sides, and does at least fleetingly acknowledge that nobody ever believes they're on the "evil" side in this kind of a situation. Paired with a high quality artist who only seems to get better as the series continues, this is great reading. As introductions go, I call it top notch. Three fantastic voyages in just five issues, damn.

10/10

Comics: 12, TPB: 2