The minor annoyances thread

Missy

Today marks my last day at work.  I've worked at this store for, as facebook noted this morning, 12 years almost to the day.  It has been a somewhat surreal experience to see a place I've spent so much time in slowly be taken down.  Others have been having a very hard time with it.  People have left along the way (I stayed because it felt like I should) and many tears have been shed.  I used my normal method of dealing with the crying people and ignored/avoided them.  Being my last day, I figured I would not be able to do so and they would make a bigger deal of it than I would.

I was wrong.  I was hardly acknowledged as I left.  No tears.  No hugs.  No goodbyes.  I got nothing.  And I don't know how I feel about it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Mp3 Skype Recorder is fucking trash. Just fucking garbage. No matter how many uninstall/reinstalls it takes it just will not consistently work from recording to recording. One day it could work fine. One day it could not. One day it could record the other line's voice but not your own. GUHHHH...luckily a back-up was done, but waiting for that is annoying as well. But JEEZUS...is there any such thing as a reliable Skype recorder? Powergramo works but then doesn't with every Skype update.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a Marvel page-a-day calendar on my desk, where every day they highlight a different character for a few days. Like, for three days you'll get a Luke Cage, then an action shot, then a cover. The last couple of days it's been the She-Hulk, and specifically from the Sensational Byrne-era. The cover they used is the famous first issue, where she looks at the reader and threatens to rip up all your X-Men comics if you don't buy her book.

Except they photoshopped it so that the book she's holding up is a copy of Savage She-Hulk #1, and they changed the dialogue to a threat to just rip up all your comics.

Then I realized that we're a third of the way through the year, and there hasn't been a single X-Man or member of the Fantastic Four in this.

We did, however, get three days of Karnak the fucking Shatterer.

Goddamnit, Ike Perlmutter.

Spidey's been in there, so I assume they're cool advertising Homecoming. The calendar has been noticeably heavy on Netflix and Inhumans characters, so although overall the mix has been decent they're obviously pushing their media properties.

And I do get it. Disney doesn't want them to promote another studio's films. Still sucks.

In a virtual meeting where the person doing the presenting and the person driving the screen (clicking on things and whatnot) are not the same person. It's been half an hour (so far) of:

"Can you click on the 'Reporting' tab, Kevin? On the left, Kevin. The left. No, your other left, Kevin. Over there. No, that's too far. Go back. A little more. Okay, now a little above where you are. The tab, Kevin. The one that says 'Reporting'. Can you click that, please? Okay, now you're in Excel. Can you go back to the browser? The browser. No, you're still in Excel. I need you in the browser. On the taskbar. It's at the bottom.  Click on the browser. Thank you. No, I still need that 'Reporting' tab. It's on the left, Kevin. No, the LEFT, Kevin."

GODDAMMIT MR. NOODLE

So, my friends and I go to Florida every year. This year has been extra annoying because we have to go a bit later in the year since Matt's parents are waiting a while to go back to Ohio so we can use the house but that's alright. But it's also annoying because we need to rent a van because there are five of us. So, there's a hundred bucks down the drain. One of my friends had to drop out of the trip because his job is a bag of dicks and Matt offers that we can just take his car. I'm down for this since I don't mind just taking my laptop to save on room. Another friend's response is that a car would be too hellish for an 18 hour drive. I offer to try to find a more cost efficent vehicle since now it's 125 bucks down the drain. His response is Nah, let's stick with the van. And suddenly I'm reliving that episode of Friends where Joey, Rachel, and Phoebe keep getting forced to do expensive things because the other Friends fail to realize that some people don't make as much.

God, everyone on Friends was a jerk. It's a wonder the last episode didn't end with them murdering one another,

• 2 weeks later...

That moment your mom tries to passive aggressively shame you for not wishing her a Mother's Day in the middle of a Facebook post about Star Trek despite 1) Not knowing her current phone number 2) Barely having any contact period with her in two years 3) Being called ungrateful within the last year 4) It's a freaking post about Star Trek and Fashion!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Went to the library today to find me some new music.  While looking, I man walks in to return some movies.  He took special care with one particular DVD and started talking to the librarian.  Now, I have done the same from time to time.  Mostly due to the disc being badly damaged and non-functional.  However, that was not his problem.   He was of the belief that the movie in question was far too violent to be at a public library.  As such, the library should remove it from their system as to not inflict the horror on another patron.   I have no idea what the movie was nor what offended him so.  But I agreed with the librarian, who after the guy left, turned around and said 'fuck that guy' and put it in the staff picks section.  Fuck that guy indeed.

Many disabilities are "invisible." Do not assume someone is not legally permitted to park in a handicapped spot just because they do not "look disabled." We see stories all the time about people who leave nasty notes on people's cars for "illegally" parking in a handicapped spot.

It reminds me of when I worked as a bagger in high school, which involved taking groceries to people's cars. I actually had a customer yell at another customer as I was putting groceries in the trunk, because she was parked in a handicapped spot. She had a car tag, and the person who was disabled was sitting in the car. She was just a judgmental *********** who wanted to make herself feel better by berating someone.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Not really sure where to put this, so I'll choose in here.

Monday, as I was literally in the midst of clocking out, I was asked to run a massive shipment down to the UPS store a few blocks away.  Hey, a bit of overtime never hurt anyone, so why not?

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/three-in-stable-condition-following-northeast-columbus-shooting/

The UPS store in two doors down.  I park my work truck right in front of that barbershop when I deliver there.  Had I not stopped to use the bathroom, I would have been there when shit went down.  And given the direction they ran, I would have been in the way.  As is, I missed everything, but got there before the cops.

Not sure how I feel about that fact.