DCAU Justice Lords/League Drawings

Ava

Very nice! Now all you need is a Jack Kirby (or Dan Turpin).

As soon as I have some extra cash Ava, you can expect a commission from me. Question: will you do non-DCAU characters?

Well, the thing about me is that I am only getting into comics now because of the DCAU, and as of now I really don't know any non-DCAU characters very well, so I don't know if I could draw them as well.

Of course, once I stop procrastinating and learn how to drive, I'll be able to go the comic book store and explore some new characters, but as of now, yeah, I'm probably going to stick to the DCAU.

I'll be able to go the comic book store and explore some new characters, but as of now, yeah, I'm probably going to stick to the DCAU.

I would say that a better place to learn would be a Barnes & Noble or Borders Books. They'll let you just grab any book you want, sit there all day long, and read the entire thing. Jumping into current comic issues is hard, but it's much easier if you start with the collected volumes of the past.

I'll be able to go the comic book store and explore some new characters, but as of now, yeah, I'm probably going to stick to the DCAU.

I would say that a better place to learn would be a Barnes & Noble or Borders Books. They'll let you just grab any book you want, sit there all day long, and read the entire thing. Jumping into current comic issues is hard, but it's much easier if you start with the collected volumes of the past.

Yeah I've already read a few Batman trades from our library, but going to Borders would be a good idea, thanks. =)

Yeah I've already read a few Batman trades from our library, but going to Borders would be a good idea, thanks. =)

For what your doing libraries work the best, but they don't usually have that many graphic novels compared to book stores.

For what your doing libraries work the best, but they don't usually have that many graphic novels compared to book stores.

In a couple years, I've read about half my local B&N's comics library. I'm guessing about 100 to 150 trades.

Just about anything Batman is at least decent.

Superman is "ehh," but the big standalone events like Birthright and Red Son are amazing.

Green Lantern (starting with "Rebirth") is great, though it helps if you look up the history of Hal Jordan on Wiki first.

The new Amazing Spider-Man books are pretty amazing to read through quickly.

X-Men is usually complicated as hell, but Astonishing X-Men is really great.

Reading through New Avengers, Civil War, Mighty Avengers, and Secret Invasion (in that order) is pretty amazing, even though Secret Invasion is horrible.

In a couple years, I've read about half my local B&N's comics library. I'm guessing about 100 to 150 trades.

Just about anything Batman is at least decent.

Superman is "ehh," but the big standalone events like Birthright and Red Son are amazing.

Green Lantern (starting with "Rebirth") is great, though it helps if you look up the history of Hal Jordan on Wiki first.

The new Amazing Spider-Man books are pretty amazing to read through quickly.

X-Men is usually complicated as hell, but Astonishing X-Men is really great.

Reading through New Avengers, Civil War, Mighty Avengers, and Secret Invasion (in that order) is pretty amazing, even though Secret Invasion is horrible.

Much thanks! This is the kind of stuff I wanted to know. =D

Much thanks! This is the kind of stuff I wanted to know. =D

Hmm. Well then, in that case, this is my personal list of books that I tell people to read:

DC: (in no particularly important order)

The Dark Knight Returns

Batman: The Killing Joke

Batman: A Death in the Family

Kingdom Come (if you've seen the episode of JLU with Captain Marvel, you'll be good)

Superman: Birthright

Superman: Red Son

Superman/Batman (only the first two volumes, but both of those are extremely important to the DCU)

Green Lantern: Rebirth (after you learn the story of Hal Jordan/Parallax, which is basically that Hal went insane after his hometown was obliterated, and became the insane villain known as Parallax, who was then killed. So yeah; now you're good. After Rebirth, you can read any GL story, though Secret Origins is a really great retelling of his origin story that works into Blackest Night)

Batman: Hush (for the art, though the story is pretty decent)

Teen Titans (though once it goes into Infinite Crisis, it gets really lame)

All-Star Superman (Though its portrayal of Superman annoys me, people seem to love it.)

Superman: For Tomorrow (it gets very weird, but the art is standard Jim Lee awesomeness and there's a Wonder Woman/Superman fight)

Marvel: (in this exact chronological order)

Avengers: Disassembled (though it's extremely hard to find a copy now; I wouldn't worry about it much, since Marvel has great recap pages)

New Avengers (until House of M)

House of M

New Avengers (up until Civil War) / Astonishing X-Men

The Road to Civil War

Civil War

Mighty Avengers / New Avengers / Avengers: The Initiative / Thor / Captain America / The Immortal Iron Fist

Secret Invasion

Anything Spider-Man post-Civil War is really great, though you'll have to suffer through the universe-altering "One More Day" story, which is really kinda heartbreaking/frustrating. The comics that come after it are really fun, though, and completely worth it.

Also, Ultimate Spider-Man is a really amazing book, at least for the first several volumes. It's got no continuity ties, either, so you can just pick it up and go from there. Around the 4th volume, though, it starts to cross over a little with The Ultimates, so you should probably read The Ultimates, volumes 1 and 2. NOT The Ultimates 2, volumes 1 and 2. (but those are pretty great as well)

All Star Superman is quite possible the greatest achievement in sequential art this decade but i would be interested to hear what a newbie to comics feels.

I'm a relative newbie (only started comics in the past couple years), and I can't stand the way the characters are portrayed. The storytelling is brilliant, but everything else bothers me to no end.

Check out Tiny Titans.

Just because it is awesome.

Yeah, Ava, your comics are very Tiny Titans-esque; I think you'll like it. :)

Awesome! I'll make sure to look into it.

Hopefully I'll be able to go to Borders tomorrow and check some of this out. I'm super-psyched. =D

So I've just come back from Borders and had time to read both Green Lantern: Rebirth and Superman/Batman: Supergirl (I've already read Public Enemies).

I really liked the GL one. But who was the guy with the big head who was in the prison? Hector Hammond, I think. Should I know who he is?

And more Batman being ultra-paranoid was awesome.

• 7 months later...

Just a moment ago I was looking for images of Justice Lords Hawkgirl, so I ran a search in Photobucket. Only two images pop up, and they are:

ava.jpg

How cool is that? Anyone looking for Justice Lords Hawkgirl on PB will automatically see our Ava's drawings!

• 4 years later...