Futurama

JackFetch

I wondered if I was the only one who got a little misty-eyed with the one about Fry's dog.

Oh god no, Fry's dog and the deal with his brother and the seven leafed clover were the two finest moments in Futurama. Put it this way, nothing in any other animated half hour comedy has affected me like those moments did.

As quirky as the show gets, it can really be profound in its best moments.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a pretty good topic idea, Stavros. Just recently, I watched How Long is Forever on Teen Titans. Whenever I see Starfire come back, triumphantly realizing that her friends are still there, saying, "History says it disappeared, but history was wrong!" it always tears me up.

• 2 weeks later...

Suavestar says it was alright, but nothing special in 3...2...1...

Another week, another time that I say that phrase:

I thought the episode was not bad, one of the better ones this season. They actually did a nice little call back to Amy being the Professors grad student, which I don't think has been mentioned since the first time she was introduced Amy in the episode they went to the moon in series 1.

The main problem I had with the episode is, and this is becoming a theme with Futurama since the movies, the jokes just aren't that funny, or they just fall flat.

The villain was interesting, but the episode as a whole, although one of the better ones this series, was still very average.

Edited by SuaveStar

Suavestar says it was alright, but nothing special in 3...2...1...

Another week, another time that I say that phrase:

I thought the episode was not bad, one of the better ones this season. They actually did a nice little call back to Amy being the Professors grad student, which I don't think has been mentioned since the first time she was introduced Amy in the episode they went to the moon in series 1.

The main problem I had with the episode is, and this is becoming a theme with Futurama since the movies, the jokes just aren't that funny, or they just fall flat.

The villain was interesting, but the episode as a whole, although one of the better ones this series, was still very average.

Here's my problem with the episode. How did Bender get brainwashed? I know it's not like the DCAU, but without his general douchebag jokes, or Zoidberg's hilarious pathos, there's not much the show has to hang its hat on.

Here's my problem with the episode. How did Bender get brainwashed? I know it's not like the DCAU, but without his general douchebag jokes, or Zoidberg's hilarious pathos, there's not much the show has to hang its hat on.

Good point. You can tie that off, with the emotional link he had with Leela years ago about Nibbler, and how that can still be dormant in his system, and something so powerful caused him to actually feel what Leela feels again.

The more I think about this series, the more I think my standards are too high, and for the rest of the series, I'm just going to judge it on it's own, and not as part of the classic show.

That way, that makes this the 3rd best episode of the series for me. The first two are the best so far.

Good point. You can tie that off, with the emotional link he had with Leela years ago about Nibbler, and how that can still be dormant in his system, and something so powerful caused him to actually feel what Leela feels again.

The more I think about this series, the more I think my standards are too high, and for the rest of the series, I'm just going to judge it on it's own, and not as part of the classic show.

That way, that makes this the 3rd best episode of the series for me. The first two are the best so far.

I try to just turn my higher brain off for it, and let the the continuity they give it be a bonus. This show is a screwball comedy at heart, and I'm as guilty as you are for holding it to a higher standard than necessary.

For crying out loud, there was an episode where Bender burned down Zoiberg's UNDERWATER house with a lit cigar. If that doesn't show how little it takes itself seriously, nothing does.

I try to just turn my higher brain off for it, and let the the continuity they give it be a bonus. This show is a screwball comedy at heart, and I'm as guilty as you are for holding it to a higher standard than necessary.

For crying out loud, there was an episode where Bender burned down Zoiberg's UNDERWATER house with a lit cigar. If that doesn't show how little it takes itself seriously, nothing does.

That was an awesome episode, with the lost city and mer-people.

I'm just going to watch the rest of this series with an open mind, and try and enjoy what's left.

Also, just to plug it. Everyone should take a look at the Simpsons/Futurama crossover crisis. As it is a fun story, that really gets Fututama's humor right, and could be part of the actual series. Also it looks nice.

Shouldn't an episode, with a comic con theme, have been shown around the same time as San Diego Comic Con?

I know Baltimore is this weekend, but the logos in the background, was the logo, you associate with San Diego, along with the panels they showed.

Also, the person Fry shows his work to is Sergio Araganoes who writes and draws Simpsons comics, among other things.

• 6 months later...
'Futurama' renewed for two more years!

Good news, everyone!

Everybody’s favorite canceled animated Fox show (well, for Family Guy fans with long memories, second favorite) is getting a couple more years of life: Comedy Central’s Futurama has been renewed for two more years, say sources close to the production.

The network has picked up another two cycles of 13 episodes — and neither include the upcoming batch that launches this June. So that keeps Futurama on the air through 2013. (Whether the order is called the seventh season, or the eighth and ninth season, is still being debated — since seasons on Comedy Central are split over two years, do you call each year’s batch a season or do you call the full 26 episode order a season?) At any rate, last season averaged 2.5 million viewers per week once DVR is added in.

Source.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Last night's episodes were... interesting. The first one was kinda fun up until the last two minutes where I saw a couple of images that I had to look away from the tv for. If you watched the preview clip above, then that should give you an idea to both of them. Outside of that, it was a fun episode but nothing too awesome. The second one was much better. It's your usual, "Bender does something amoral that spirals out of control" but it was also pretty funny with a few genuinely great laughs to it.

Last night's episodes were... interesting. The first one was kinda fun up until the last two minutes where I saw a couple of images that I had to look away from the tv for. If you watched the preview clip above, then that should give you an idea to both of them. Outside of that, it was a fun episode but nothing too awesome. The second one was much better. It's your usual, "Bender does something amoral that spirals out of control" but it was also pretty funny with a few genuinely great laughs to it.

I thought the first episode was pretty shit, and in comparison the second episode was awesome. If they showed the two episodes separately, I would have called both pretty bad. But because it was two back to back, it reminded me of a DVD type feel, where if you didn't like one episode, not to worry, the next one will probably take the bad taste out of your mouth, or at the very least, make the other one not look as bad.