Random tech support thread

Dread

I figured that we could consolidate any tech support issues in one thread. I only have one right now and it isn't pressing but it has me wondering...

I have a yahoo.ca email account and i keep getting spam (at least it ends up in the spam folder) with no sender address and [No Subject] written in the subject line. Anyone have any idea what that's about?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured that we could consolidate any tech support issues in one thread. I only have one right now and it isn't pressing but it has me wondering...

I have a yahoo.ca email account and i keep getting spam (at least it ends up in the spam folder) with no sender address and [No Subject] written in the subject line. Anyone have any idea what that's about?

I used to get the same thing, its just random spam from someone who's picked up your email. Delete it like correspondance from a Nigerian prince.

I plan on upgrading my computer this week so I might need this thread. Hopefully not though.

In what way are you upgrading it? Windows XP to Vista?

The hardware. Ram, which I'm having problems with, and the video card.

My computer has 4 RAM ports, and can take 4 gigs. For some reason if I put more than 2 in it won't boot. At 3 gigs it starts beeping and won't boot. At 4 gigs it won't go to Windows and nothing works so I can't get to the BIOS.. It does recognize the RAM at 4 gigs though.

Uhm, okay. So, I'm in the process of torrenting several things, have my Firefox, Adium, and Last.fm open. Decide to plug in the external hard drive. Everything has been going incredibly slow, now freezes up completely. Can still move mouse, but screen is not responding. Take out the external hard drive, reboot. Can get white screen, but beyond that, nothing; just a black screen with a white flickering cursor. I go through the steps as listed in the Mac manual. Can now get white screen, but no Apple logo; just a flashing file with a ? mark. And I'm hearing clicking noises from the computer, like - CLICK clickclickclick, pause, and repeat again.

Please tell me my hard drive has just not died on me.

Uhm, okay. So, I'm in the process of torrenting several things, have my Firefox, Adium, and Last.fm open. Decide to plug in the external hard drive. Everything has been going incredibly slow, now freezes up completely. Can still move mouse, but screen is not responding. Take out the external hard drive, reboot. Can get white screen, but beyond that, nothing; just a black screen with a white flickering cursor. I go through the steps as listed in the Mac manual. Can now get white screen, but no Apple logo; just a flashing file with a ? mark. And I'm hearing clicking noises from the computer, like - CLICK clickclickclick, pause, and repeat again.

Please tell me my hard drive has just not died on me.

It may...may work only a 1 more time. But im sorry, this is what has been happening at my school lately. Best I can say is to bring it to bestbuy or somewhere and try to have some files recovered.

Well, that was before I tried just about everything to reboot it. See my thing in Randomness to find out how the rest of it went. It's looking like my hard drive died.

I'm not expecting to get anything back (though if they could get some documents and my music library back, that would be fucking excellent) at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to make a Jeopardy board in OpenOffice Impress on a Windows Vista computer (not mine, I'm forced to use this). How to I make it so a hyperlink changes color when clicked? As in I want to click a square on the board, going to the proper question (already did this part) and when I click back to the main board, it is a different color (the same as the background, giving the illusion it dissapeared.)

Guest DCAUFan1051

I just bought this: Logitech Clear Chat Pro Headset

I'm testing it out but no matter what I set my volume levels at I sound like I'm in a tunnel. It clearly states on the best buy page that it's a noise cancelling mic. My previous headset took a dive this morning when I couldn't record anything with it. Has anyone used this headset and can u give me any pointers?

My generational gray area is showing...

I have a Pioneer Full-Automatic Stereo Turntable PL-670 from circa '85. It's been years since I've heard the thing work properly, and while gearing up to move I've decided to get all the necessary bits to use it (preamp, receiver, etc.).

But then we get to the needle cartridge. And I know jack shit about needle cartridges.

After removing the broken one from the arm, an Audio-Technica 3003, I've discovered they (whoever "they" is) don't make this particular model anymore.

My question is: are all P-mount cartridges universal? I know not all are created equally (you get what you pay for re:sound quality, and while I'd love to pretend I've got the bank to be a true audiophile, I don't even have the proper record collection to make that claim. I just want the damn thing to play my copy of In Through the Out Door).

To someone with more turntable know how, I'm sure this is a bush league question. Even so, any answers?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, people. Need some help.

My parents got a Dell desktop from a friend, second or third hand, something like that, and a printer with it. They're trying to figure out how to install it on the computer. Note that we do not have an install CD. Anyone have any clue how we would do this?

(I'll be getting another HP printer that we have extra, which I'll also need to know how to install on a Mac without an install CD, if I can find a way to do it for 'em. There be incentive involved here.)

• 5 weeks later...

And yet another probably idiotic tech question, bought to you by me trying to follow tech support's recommendation now that the family has money:

Anyone know any stores, besides online, that carry Dell printer cartridges for, say, the All-in-One A920 model? (They think its the printer cartridges, they haven't been used in years, and they're probably right) I know for sure that Best Buy does not carry them.

And yet another probably idiotic tech question, bought to you by me trying to follow tech support's recommendation now that the family has money:

Anyone know any stores, besides online, that carry Dell printer cartridges for, say, the All-in-One A920 model? (They think its the printer cartridges, they haven't been used in years, and they're probably right) I know for sure that Best Buy does not carry them.

Is there a Staples store near you? They should have them. But I'm not sure if they'll have the kind you need, but do try Staples if there is one near you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gmail is a bitch on my work laptop. I've switched to the older version and it no longer seizes up on me but it still takes forever to send emails. Before I had to sign out and sign back in. It would send the message but stay on draft indefinitely.

Also, my "Fast Reply" option on these forums is wonky and slow.