Random tech support thread

Dread

Gmail is a bitch on my work laptop. I've switched to the older version and it no longer seizes up on me but it still takes forever to send emails. Before I had to sign out and sign back in. It would send the message but stay on draft indefinitely.

Also, my "Fast Reply" option on these forums is wonky and slow.

That sounds like a problem with uploading and communication with certain servers, or maybe just that the computer doesn't want to make dynamic changes to already-loaded webpages. Have you tried using a different browser?

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My darling girlfriend used my computer, and now I have something that's called "Vista Security." It's a reasonably convincing facsimile of how Vista looks so I don't blame her for accidentally clicking it, but now, I have no fucking clue how to be rid of the thing. Tried a system restore, that only pissed it off.

EDIT: Someone recommended something called HouseCall, so I'm attempting that.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone every seen a different way to store files/folders other than the standard

c:\

--|_folder

-----|_sub folder

--------|_ file

--|_folder 2

etc?

I'm thinking something that is more like a flow chart, where sub folders can be linked to more than 1 main folder? I don't care if it uses the standard windows/mac backend, but is there a front end 'explorer' I can use to fundamentally change how I access and store my files?

Has anyone every seen a different way to store files/folders other than the standard

c:\

--|_folder

-----|_sub folder

--------|_ file

--|_folder 2

etc?

I'm thinking something that is more like a flow chart, where sub folders can be linked to more than 1 main folder? I don't care if it uses the standard windows/mac backend, but is there a front end 'explorer' I can use to fundamentally change how I access and store my files?

Nope, That's pretty much how Windows and Mac OS X roll.

The problem is that the files are physically organized, on the hard disk, into folders. So unless you duplicate the files, you won't be able to find the same files in two different folders.

Out of curiosity, what would you need that for, anyway? There might be another way to do what you're wanting.

I've never had a filing system that I can work with. And I was looking at how I organise my jobs and weekly schedule and realised that many things were related to more than just 1 primary topic. It then dawned on me that was why I struggled with filing, because so many things have more than 1 logical place to go. So I figured, knowing that the architecture of the computer is the same, was there someone that had developed a frontend system to display files in a different way. You wouldn't need duplicate files, just have ID/Keys assigned to them by the front end to point to the correct file on the system.

Example. I'm working on a some prices for a promotion that I will run. These need to be applied to a number of systems. Our internal quoting tool, our website and our emarketing system. Do I save it under quoting, website or marketing? Or do I have a folder called prices and then sub folders under that? But what if I'm working solidly on marketing and my mind is in that mindset, that all I want to do is go to the marketing folder and get the prices.

If it was a flow GUI with bubbles for main topics, I could just click on the marketing bubble and all files related to that, would pop up. So it's only 1 file, but it's linked to many folders.

• 10 months later...

Who here rips the episodes from DVD series for use on digital players? I want to start backing up all my DVD's for quick access, lend to friends, have on portable players, etc. I can find things that rip ok, but the files are always so large, I can't seem to find software that will rip and compress at the same time, with any sort of speed. Any suggestions would be great.

Huh. Didn't realize they'd made a PC version.

Yeah, m4v/mp4 is pretty much the standard format now, if you're trying to do decent-quality video. Youtube uses mp4 video for its HD, and iTunes uses m4v. If m4v is encoded just right, it gives amazing results with a decently small file size. The only other one that gives great results is mkv, but that one is so compressed that it'll give you weird visual issues every time you skip through the video, and not too many programs/devices play it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

About two weeks ago I started having a minor issue viewing the icon preview of MP3s. After adding the album artwork to a file, I'd move the file from its iTunes folder to the folder in which I keep the podcast files. However, after the move, the icon would no longer preview the image. At first I thought it was because the option was turned off in the podcast folders, but that's not it. The "icon preview" box is checked in every single case.

Then today, before moving the file out of its iTunes folder, I renamed it. And that's when the icon preview was erased. You can see it in the image below. Does anybody know why this is happening and how I can correct it?

icon-preview.jpg

• 1 month later...