The Walking Dead

Koete

The first half of Season 2 started off great, but things definitely slowed down, and it felt as if a couple episodes could have been condensed. But things definitely picked up with the midseason finale and the second half was non-stop excitement.

If anyone is interested in how Shane's story follows in the comics, and would like to see a video of it, beware though, there be SPOILERS ahead for those who have't seen all of Season 2 or read the comics:

Shane's Death - comic version

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I started watching this show several months ago, but didn't go back to it until about a month ago. I am really enjoying it now, about 5 episodes into Season Three. But Sims made an observation on Twitter I thought was really good:

https://twitter.com/earth_2/status/678691472426868736

I am not a fan of Rick either. Shane is more likable as a character, and it doesn't help that Jon Bernthal is more charismatic and charming than Andrew Lincoln.

Hershel is my favorite character, with Daryl a close second. Hershel defending his farm from the herd was an awesome moment.

I got into the show only after playing the adventure game on iOS.

• 11 months later...

OK, I watched the opening of Season 7.

Here's my problem.

The protagonists - yes, including Glenn - pretty much got what they deserved.

The Grimes group had no conflict with or even any interaction with the Saviors. After being hired by Hilltop, the Grimes group broke into the Saviors' compound and murdered a bunch of people in their sleep. It was an unprovoked surprise attack. Under normal rules of war, it could be described as an act of terrorism or a war crime.

Negan is infuriated. Wouldn't you be? Even if you're a bad dude, these random jerks show up and start murdering your friends and colleagues in their sleep. So now you want to teach them a lesson. You do NOT do that to us, so I will kill one of you and the rest of you will work for me.

Why am I supposed to rot for these people again? I am not seeing a reason. I am rooting for one group of bad guys fighting an admittedly worse group of bad guys. Whoop de diddly do. I can't even root for Glenn, who was probably the most truly good character in the group up until Season 6, when he was murdering people in their sleep.

Now, don't think I am being simple-minded here. Characters do not need to be Lawful Good Paladins. But they do need to be somewhat good, so that the audience cares what happens to them. When I am watching formerly good characters get comeuppance for doing evil things, then I am just watching evil fight evil.

Characters can be flawed, and fail and do bad things and still be relatable protagonists. But there is a line you cannot come back from. Some lines are universal. Characters cross that line, they are full heels. Murdering people in their sleep crosses that line and of course Negan is justified in seeking payback and making sure the Grimes group is not a threat in the future. When the villain is in the right, you have failed as a storyteller.

The key in writing a good story is not crossing that line.

Finally, more people (other than Morgan) should have objected to the plan to break into the saviors' home and murder them in their beds. That would have been perfectly consistent with Glenn's character. Remember, he didn't even kill the guy who lured him into the woods to murder him. For him to not object and just go along with the murders is a pretty big inconsistency with how the character has been presented thus far. It would also have made Glenn's death undeserved and therefore sad, because he was not part of what ticked off Negan in the first place. It was an unfortunate missed opportunity.

• 1 year later...