Invincible Gene Colan

Dread

Y'know? It's weird. I don't want to say that what may have happened has any importance compared to embezzling hundreds of thousands of dollars, but I mailed out a bunch of stuff to Gene after our interview, one of them being the issue where he adapted the Lovecraft story that he doesn't remember drawing.

I asked about it a month or so later and she just said that she doesn't remember getting it and it's "probably been filed". He probably never found out about a lot of kind gestures coming his way symbolic or otherwise.

He'll be at Manitoba's Bar in NYC tomorrow night for an Aardwolf Book release party, btw.

• 2 weeks later...

Clifford Meth's most recent update:

Gene Colan can't return to his home because he is too good of a man. Going home means his wife will have to leave. So Gene continues to reside in a hospital/recovery facility in NY City despite the fact that he's recovered from his injuries. But Erik Colan, Gene's son, visits every day and takes Gene out and about.

Gene's son Erik has begun to post a series of video interviews with Gene on Youtube. You can check them out here.

Adrienne Colan passed away last night or sometime this morning. We do not have all of the details yet.

Erik Colan broke the news to Gene about 20 minutes ago and then Gene and I spoke. All things considered, he is holding up well.

Note added at 4:55 pm: The medical examiner has not yet determined the day nor the cause of Adrienne Colan's death. She was found at her home.

Source

I'm stunned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some good news, Gene Colan is accepting commissions again:

Good news. After more than 100 days in the hospital, Gene is ready to draw. “Boy am I!” he says.

New commission prices are as follows:

$500 for single figure with background (finished art) 8-1/2 x 11 -- add $100 for additional figure

$1800 for cover recreations or cover-quality finished art 11x17 -- all prices are for finished pencils

Read this carefully:

If interested in a commission, write cliffmeth@aol.com

Your money will be held in a special account until your art is complete and delivered; due to anticipated demand and Gene’s lighter schedule, there is no guaranteed delivery time

You can ask for your money back at ANY time before a piece is delivered and it will be PROMPTLY refunded; at any time, we may also choose to refund your money

Gene will attempt to do commissions on a first-come, first-served basis; please don’t become a pain in the neck

Prices do not include shipping

Complex requests will be considered and we’ll get back to you with a quote

The commercial reproduction rights of all commissions remains the property of Gene Colan; you are only buying the original art

Gene Colan is also available for book covers and to write book introductions. Write to cliffmeth@aol.com for quotes.

• 9 months later...

I spent several hours with Gene this morning. He wasn’t under the influence of any pain killers so he was lucid and jovial, but grew short of breath several times—and every now and again he’d grimace in pain. The attending nurse finally had no choice but to put him back on the morphine and that was it—Gene was fast asleep.

Despite his legendary optimism, Gene’s situation is tenuous. His family hopes he can undergo a procedure early this week that may alleviate his pain. Regardless, it’s unlikely that my pal will be drawing for anyone anytime soon.

Clifford Meth is running another auction here to offset the bills.

My thoughts go out to Gene and his family.

Gene has left the hospital and is now in rehab. But he will not be going home. His family and he are deciding on an appropriate place where he can live the rest of his life comfortably with proper care. Despite this, Gene remains positive. He would like to draw again but is too weak and the drugs that block his pain don't make that possible now. Nevertheless he is determined not to be a financial burden on his children and wants to do what he can to pay his own way, so limited signings will continue. And we continue to sell his art and books. Click here to see what's available.

At his family's request, Gene's whereabouts will remain private and everyone is asked to respect that. If you are an old friend, contact me and I'll put you in touch with Gene... Or you can send a letter to him through me.