Batman: Earth One

Missy

51wyC4xOiL_SS500_.jpg

Geoff Johns, the writer of BLACKEST NIGHT, GREEN LANTERN and INFINITE CRISIS re-teams with superstar artist Gary Frank, his collaborator on SUPERMAN: SECRET ORIGIN, SUPERMAN: BRAINIAC and SUPERMAN & THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES, to create this original graphic novel that gives new insight into Bruce Wayne's transformation into Batman and his first year as The Dark Knight. This follow-up to the # 1 New York Times bestseller, SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE, by J. Michael Straczynski and Shane Davis is the latest in the series that features the industry's top writers and illustrators and their unique takes on DC's characters. It's the perfect book for new readers of graphic novels as well as longtime comic book fans.

Apparently the release date is May 2012.

• 5 months later...

BATMAN: EARTH ONE HC

Written by GEOFF JOHNS

Art by GARY FRANK and JON SIBAL

Cover by GARY FRANK

On sale JULY 4 • 144 pg, FC, $22.99 US

• From GEOFF JOHNS and GARY FRANK, the acclaimed team behind SUPERMAN: SECRET ORIGIN and the SHAZAM! stories in JUSTICE LEAGUE!

• In the tradition of SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE, this spectacular original graphic novel gives new insight into BRUCE WAYNE’S transformation into BATMAN and his first year as THE DARK KNIGHT.

• In this all new take on the Batman mythos, Bruce Wayne is on the hunt for his parents’ killer. His target? The Mayor of Gotham City!

• Plus, who is Alfred Pennyworth – and why is he so determined to put an end to the Batman?

• 6 months later...

So, I read it last night. It was alright, a good start, the books really all about setting things up, rather than doing much that is special. The book comes to an abrupt conclusion, and sort of leaves the book feeling unfinished. The art was pretty nice, and the new take on the death of the Wayne's was good, and the introduction of characters in a new way, was pretty good, but overall, it just wasn't as good as it could have been. Overall, I would say the book was, good, but nothing special.

If you haven't picked it up yet, just wait till volume 2 comes out, and just pick read them both back to back.

I read it back when it came out; gotta say I was pleasantly surprised. It's very, very different, not at all the Year One retread that it could have been. There's almost no character in the entire book that's the same as in normal continuity, and finding all the differences and how they all work together is really neat from a geek perspective.

The story is definitely along the lines of Batman Begins or Year One, however, in that it basically covers the introduction of Batman and nothing else. However, as a first entry in the story, it's very, very good.

Suave.png

It's like Oprah's Book Club, but for comics.

One day, I will have that printed on t-shirts.

Oh, and my favourite part was the banter between Bruce and Alfred:

Alfred: You're not ready!

Bruce: I am ready!

Alfred: You're not ready!

Bruce: I am ready!

Alfred: YOU ARE NOT READY!!

Bruce: I AM READY!!

Bruce then storms out of the room.

Alfred:...Maybe he is ready.