The Convention Thread

dc20willsave

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Will: Mike and I (and Tim, by default) will welcome you (plus guest) to Chicago with a (small) party (and by "party" I mean records and booze and board games).

At the very least, if it's just us, bust out the group chat or something so the rest of the board can telecommute in. Also, my friend Peter appreciates the invite but he's already said he'll probably pass out with comics and booze in the hotel room. He tends to be less of a night owl than me.

AWESOME. Also, I think some of you may hate me after tomorrow. Will be posting pics soonish.

Side note: HOLY FUCKING SHIT MY FRIEND GOT A PORTFOLIO REVIEW FROM BOTH MARVEL AND DC AND HAS THE POSSIBILITY OF WORKING AT ONE OF THE COMPANIES AND WILL EXPLAIN MORE LATER AS MUCH AS I CAN TALK ABOUT LEGALLY!

Here are some of my better pictures. All are on my Facebook.

img0249u.jpg

This was probably one of the better Poison Ivys at the con. There was one where very little was left to the imagination.

img0250xt.jpg

The Scarecrow is pretty awesome. At one of the DC panels, the creators actually wanted to bring him up to the stage.

img0246ul.jpg

Me with Gail Simone. Also, the shirt is awesome.

Overall, a great con. I came out with a fair amount of swag that I'm spending most of today sorting through. I actually spent less money than my initial estimates and had tons of fun. However, the fact that I've seen Mike and Niki's places now just tells me I need to clean up my own so I can take pictures for the "Pimp Your Space" thread. Also, the food. Dear god, the food. The con food was overpriced and not that great but the rest, yummers. I had like the best beef brisket sandwich of my life. I also ate breakfast at this place called Yolk, had this huge omelet, fantastic. Now to anticipate the next con. Thinking, if I can convince one of my friends to do it with me, maybe doing Chicago TARDIS. Would do Anime Central but I'm a groomsmen that weekend. Now if I can break up the couple first, maybe but hmmm.

Also, for anyone planning to do C2E2 next year, the dates are April 8-10th, 2011. Mark the calender, start saving now, and plan for awesome.

Also, for anyone planning to do C2E2 next year, the dates are April 8-10th, 2011. Mark the calender, start saving now, and plan for awesome.

That'll be me. I really want to go, I just have to convince the other half to go, which he's hesitant, as it might not be during Easter.

That scarecrow does look fucking awesome. The Red and Green Lantern Hal's looked good as well. Also, you need to make a list of the swag you got, and I want to hear the rest of meeting with Mike and Nikki!

That'll be me. I really want to go, I just have to convince the other half to go, which he's hesitant, as it might not be during Easter.

Easter is on the 24th of April next year.

Swag list is: Shortpacked Vol #2 (Got it signed with a sketch of Jesus eating a chocolate cross.), The Book of Biff (Webcomic collection I bought on a whim), A grab bag from the Funimation booth where I got three random anime season sets for $30 (I got Jyu-Oh-Sei which I'd never heard of, Heat Guy J which has looked interesting but I've never seen, and School Rumble season 1 which I've been tempted to buy quite a few times in the past), Adventure Comics #1-3, Young Heroes in Love #1 & #1000000, Dark Reign: Young Avengers #4 & 5, Robin #1000000, Formerly Known as The Justice League, The Adventures of Superman #463 (Superman racing Wally West), Scott Pilgrim Odds and Ends, A few issues of What If and a few issues of Secret Files, Darkseid vs Galctus, Young Avengers Presents TPB, Heart of Hush Hardcover, The Dresden Files: Welcome to the Jungle Hardcover, Chicks Dig Time Lords (A collection of essays on Doctor Who), Aztek The Ultimate Man TPB, Alias Vol. 1 TPB, The Irredeemable Antman TPB, X-Men Supernovas TPB, Exalted The Comic Series TPB, three t-shirts of various geekiness, a DC Comics Fandex (won it at the DC Editorial panel), and two issues of Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane. Good haul but it happens.

As for hanging out with Mike and Niki, it was fun. Mike gave me a ride, talked comics, hung out at Niki's place, I discovered I love Gin and Tonic, Niki's husband, Tim, is pretty awesome, we got pizza which was pretty good, and watched Glee while trying to play Trivial Pursuit. I was tipsy by the end and the velour fog is very comfortable to sit on. So, nothing excessively exciting but still up there with meeting Gail Simone as the highlight of my weekend.

Yeah, I am DEFINITELY going again next year. And hopefully I'll be able to make it to Mike and Niki's next time (sorry guys, explanation for that further down). Now, with pics!

My friends and I headed down from Random Lake to get into Chicago at... about 5:30 in the morning. For most of Saturday, we were running on sleep dep, but it was awesome.

DSC01611.jpg

We got into the con itself around 9ish, and got a pretty good spot in the queue - the first big bend in the line. Once it hit ten, the line moved fairly quickly, and we were up the escalators and into the dealer's area. I had a few pickups to do for people, but once we did that and straightened out some stuff with the bank (they were a bit jumpy b/c I made a large uncharacteristic purchase, I need to warn them before I'm going to cons), we started back towards the Artist's Alley.

DSC01617.jpg

This is Chalk Drawing Guy. He was epic. Also, really good at what he does.

DSC01618.jpg

Me and Skottie Young with the comic he signed for me. (Sorry, Preston.)

DSC01619.jpg

Me and Peter Tomasi with the first of the Blackest Night GLC books that he signed for me. (Sorry again, Preston.)

DSC01620.jpg

And me and Gail Simone after she signed the first Secret Six trade. She was lovely, and personable, and just awesome - the girls ahead of me were from Northwestern and asked her if she'd be interested in doing a panel at the uni, and she gave them her email and said to send her more details, cause she liked to do that sort of thing. Classy lady is classy.

So then we ambled from stall to stall, and I ended up picking up most of my swag that day: several scents and a pair of awesome knee-highs and nail polish from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (for fuck's sake, they got a Boba Fett to wear Dorian, and also had a Rorschach and Nite Owl looking at the scents, they are awesome people, the end), the Serenity "define interesting" shirt I mentioned a few pages back, and Blue and Black Lantern t-shirts.

In the afternoon, we went to two panels: Marvel's "How to Break Into Comics the Marvel Way", and the Psychology of Superheroes. The latter was okay, even if it was a rehash of a lot of stuff I've heard before, but still well-done. Marvel's panel, on the other hand, was quite... interesting. Half of the people on-panel acted like they didn't even want to be there, and Jeph Loeb actually kind of earned my undying hate for his comments and the fact that he actually rolled his eyes at one person asking a question. Classy, man. However, I have to give credit to the men who were actually in charge of finding new talent (CB and I forget the other guy's name, I think it was Tom Brevoort?) and were the moderators for the panel, because they gave good advice and were actually genuinely interested to be there. (Also, you know you have a problem when you have to disclaim the fact that your artists and writers are openly saying that your marketing department sucks something awful on panel.)

We ran into Beth and Ted (the owners of BPAL) after that while my friends ran off to get a pic with a Harry Dresden cosplayer, and had a wonderful conversation, in the meanwhile:

DSC01625.jpg

After that and my friend dropping off the rest of her work (more on this in a bit), we went to our hotel (the Essex), checked in, and got settled and ordered a deep dish pizza. Suggestion to those coming next year: DO NOT GO TO THE ESSEX UNLESS YOU LIKE YOUR ROOMS SWELTERING. The heat was controlled by the desk, there was no way to open the windows, and there was absolutely no air flow; we had to prop open our door to get anything resembling a breeze or cool air.

But at least the view was awesome:

DSC01704.jpg

So, at about six o'clock, the pizza wasn't there yet, and my friend and I headed off for what we will now term the Great Adventure to Try and Find Fucking Parking In Chicago. The way the McCormick Place was set up in terms of trying to find parking was kind of fucking awful, and long story short, it took us about a half hour to figure out where we actually could park. By the time we get in, it's about 6:50, we haven't really had any food that day except for the occasional pack of Gushers and Dr. Pepper (the pizza arrived five minutes after we left), and we were kind of frazzled.

Was the Evening with Neil Gaiman worth it?

FUCK YES. Neil's a great reader (favorite pieces were Chivalry, In Reilig Oran (new piece), and A Scientific Examination of the Effects of Alcohol on a Creative Writer, which included the words elephant cum), and he was wonderful with the questions (he announced basically what Moffat announced about his episode, though he now wants to find a way to film it in black and white because he can), hope he does it again next year.

DSC01696.jpg

(My favorite pic of the evening.)

And now, the section that describes taking a two-hour photo shoot at hte Carousel at the House on the Rock:

DSC01699.jpg

DSC01700.jpg

DSC01701.jpg

So, by the time we're out, it's ten PM, we haven't had any actual real food, and we're exhausted. We ended up deciding to go back to the room, get some lukewarm deep dish pizza, and then pass the fuck right out. Which is why I ended up not coming to your guys'. Sorry bout that. (Also, Mike, I'm not sure if I have your current phone number.)

So, the next day is where the awesome happens.

See, the reason one of my friends came along to this in the first place was because she was hoping to get jobs with the comics publishers, and, among others, submitted her portfolio to both Marvel and DC. We came back Sunday morning to see if she'd gotten a portfolio review.

She got it with both companies (one of three with DC, one of twelve with Marvel), and was the only one on BOTH LISTS.

So, we went back to the Artist's Alley after that so that I could pick up my holy grail of my swag list:

DSC01708.jpg

The Dustin Nguyen redhead carpet print. ($35, it was a pretty good price).

My friend came up while I was buying and ended up buying the Tiny Batman print, and he saw her work in her hands, and he asked if she was [insert her name here]. She was a little stunned, and said yes, and he said that he remembered her from when they were going through the portfolio reviews, said he liked her work, wished her luck with the review, and asked her deviantArt name.

So, as we're all coming down from the HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT of this, we go off for the Marvel portfolio review.

This is kind of where I lost my respect for Marvel at this con. We walked in in the middle of a loud screaming give away, the booth girls (which really did not impress me, Marvel was the only one who had 'em besides the energy drink people), and had to ask about five times where we had to go for the portfolio review, and my friend actually had to walk over and interrupt the guy (who was running about five minutes over with this other guy) to figure out whether or not she was actually going to be able to go. The gentlemen reviewing the portfolios was not CP the talent liason (he was signing), and as my friend found out as he looked over her portfolio, he had never actually seen her work, which makes no sense whatsoever, seeing as she turned in a whole portfolio to them, didn't really give any real criticisms, and said that he'd take it back to the office. So she has a foot in there, but she's really, really not impressed with how the whole thing was handled, and neither am I.

So, then we went down to the DC portfolio review, which was tucked away by the press room and was a nice, quiet area. She went in, and was met by one of the Vertigo editors. He looked through her stuff, gave her actual criticisms and suggestions as to what she could do, but said pretty much that he was interested in her work, thought she could probably do covers and other work for the Vertigo imprint, and gave her his email and a reliable way to contact him and told her to send stuff into them. She's pretty much got a good foot in with this now, and it's fucking amazing because of that.

So, yeah. This con was absolutely amazing. Can't wait to go again next year.

Highlights of the cosplay:

DSC01615.jpg

Best meeting of the minds EVER.

DSC01624.jpg

Beautiful Zatanna.

DSC01707.jpg

SPROING!

That scarecrow does look fucking awesome. The Red and Green Lantern Hal's looked good as well. Also, you need to make a list of the swag you got, and I want to hear the rest of meeting with Mike and Nikki!

Right around my birthday, then, next year. So, all Earth-2ers who come out, let's plan something BIG. I haven't had a birthday party in years.

As for hanging out with Mike and Niki, it was fun. Mike gave me a ride, talked comics, hung out at Niki's place, I discovered I love Gin and Tonic, Niki's husband, Tim, is pretty awesome, we got pizza which was pretty good, and watched Glee while trying to play Trivial Pursuit. I was tipsy by the end and the velour fog is very comfortable to sit on. So, nothing excessively exciting but still up there with meeting Gail Simone as the highlight of my weekend.

Glad that you had fun. You are welcome any time.

Right around my birthday, then, next year. So, all Earth-2ers who come out, let's plan something BIG. I haven't had a birthday party in years.

Is it sad that I thought about that? Anyway, I'm up for a big party, checkout the next day be damned. Hell, everyone has a year's advance notice.

Yes they do.

Even so, if it ends up being me, you, Mike, and Tim again, meh. That's cool, too.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to do my damnedest to make the following this year:

Vancouver Comicon

Victoria Comic Convention

HP Lovecraft Film Festival

and next year's Emerald City Comicon (which is only about five hours away and I've heard is the best comic show in the states)