Watchmen...2?

Koete

But that's assuming that they're going to put crap talent on the project. You think Geoff Johns or Grant Morrison couldn't do great stuff with Watchmen?

I'd read a Morrison-written Dr. Manhattan series 'til the end of time.

As was already said those two are way too smart to get involved with this shitbag project.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, how about instead of the "Further Adventures of Rorschach," we just tell some stories in the Charlton universe? You know, with Ditko-Style Question, Blue Beetle II, Captain Atom, etc?

Bingo!

Granted, Morrison is doing an issue of that in "Multiversity", so we'll have to see how it plays out.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hurm.

Outside of JMS, I like all of those guys. And JMS would likely be best fit for a Doc Manhattan story, and I was never a big Doc fan anyway. I picture Kubert on Nite Owl/Rorschach, and I'd loooooove to see Cooke do the Minute Men.

That said, I'm still not the biggest fan of this idea.

• 1 month later...

DC ENTERTAINMENT OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCES “BEFORE WATCHMEN”

Wednesday, February 1st, 2012

By David Hyde

This summer, DC Entertainment will publish all-new stories expanding on the acclaimed WATCHMEN universe. As highly anticipated as they are controversial, the seven inter-connected prequel mini-series will build on the foundation of the original WATCHMEN, the bestselling graphic novel of all time. BEFORE WATCHMEN will be the collective banner for all seven titles, from DC Comics.

“It’s our responsibility as publishers to find new ways to keep all of our characters relevant,” said DC Entertainment Co-Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee. “After twenty five years, the Watchmen are classic characters whose time has come for new stories to be told. We sought out the best writers and artists in the industry to build on the complex mythology of the original.”

Stepping up to the challenge is a group of the comic book industry’s most iconoclastic writers and artists – including Brian Azzarello (100 BULLETS), Lee Bermejo (JOKER), Amanda Conner (POWER GIRL), Darwyn Cooke (JUSTICE LEAGUE: NEW FRONTIER), John Higgins (WATCHMEN), Adam Hughes (CATWOMAN), J.G. Jones (FINAL CRISIS), Andy Kubert (FLASHPOINT), Joe Kubert (SGT. ROCK), Jae Lee (BATMAN: JEKYLL AND HYDE), J. Michael Straczynski (SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE) and Len Wein (SWAMP THING).

BEFORE WATCHMEN includes:

• RORSCHACH (4 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: Lee Bermejo

• MINUTEMEN (6 issues) – Writer/Artist: Darwyn Cooke

• COMEDIAN (6 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: J.G. Jones

• DR. MANHATTAN (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artist: Adam Hughes

• NITE OWL (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artists: Andy and Joe Kubert

• OZYMANDIAS (6 issues) – Writer: Len Wein. Artist: Jae Lee

• SILK SPECTRE (4 issues) – Writer: Darwyn Cooke. Artist: Amanda Conner

Each week, a new issue will be released, and will feature a two-page back-up story called CURSE OF THE CRIMSON CORSAIR, written by original series editor Len Wein and with art by original series colorist John Higgins. There will also be a single issue, BEFORE WATCHMEN: EPILOGUE, featuring the work of various writers and artists, and a CRIMSON CORSAIR story by Wein and Higgins.

“The original series of WATCHMEN is the complete story that Alan Moore and I wanted to tell. However, I appreciate DC’s reasons for this initiative and the wish of the artists and writers involved to pay tribute to our work. May these new additions have the success they desire,” said Dave Gibbons, WATCHMEN co-creator and original series artist.

“Comic books are perhaps the largest and longest running form of collaborative fiction,” said DiDio and Lee. “Collaborative storytelling is what keeps these fictional universes current and relevant.”

Source.

The NY Times also has a much more in depth article, including Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons's reactions.

Actual thoughts on the project: I am highly disappointed that they didn't get Grant Morrison to write Doctor Manhatten. I can't think of anyone else that could potentially grasp the drugged out non-linear nature that any story with him as the protagonist would require. Still, he's practically writing his own version of Watchmen for Multiversity so I can why he wouldn't be available.

Cooke's stuff interests me, a lot. Especially since he's paired with Conner for Silk Spectre, that should be fucking awesome.

JMS though? ....Okay? Especially on Manhattan?

I know Azzarello mostly from First Wave, which was ....interesting, though I've seen bits and pieces of 100 Bullets, he could be good for Comedian and Rorschach.

Don't know about Len Wein enough to comment.

Interested in Minutemen and Silk Spectre off the bat. The other stuff's gonna have to prove itself.

I know Azzarello mostly from First Wave, which was ....interesting, though I've seen bits and pieces of 100 Bullets, he could be good for Comedian and Rorschach.

Him and Bermejo did that Joker graphic novel that come out around the same time as The Dark Knight. It was an OK read, and looked nice, but the story just went nowhere, and ended on a "I never want to read that" again note.

I'm not going to badmouth this yet, I'm going to wait for others reactions, and some reviews, but I'm pretty sure I won't be bothering buying any of these in issue form.

And by interested I mean I'll inevitably watch Scans Daily when the material goes up, decide if I want to buy from there.

Also, the Epilogue confuses me. Wouldn't a Before Epilogue be the original series?

Shhhh!!! You stop that logic shit because Dan DiDio does NOT want to hear it!

These are the Aliens vs Predator to Watchman's Aliens. When the creative mind behind the whole thing has been as opposed as Alan Moore is to this whole thing I think it's direspectful to continue.

Look at it this way, the next time I read Watchmen I don't want to bring the baggage of the additional works to it. I don't want them changing meanings. For instance, the fact that Norman Osbourne boned Gwen Stacy really has a negative effect on all the stories that came inbetween. God forbid they do something like that with Watchmen.

I won't be buying any of these but I like a lot of the talent involved and I'm interested in seeing the Kuberts' art.

I don't see the point, but I fully endorse Gibbons' reaction which is to wish the people involved well even if he has nothing to do with it. As someone else said, with JMS involved there's a good chance two of these projects will remain unfinished.