Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Comedy is subjective.  I know many people who find his stuff thoroughly enjoyable and hilarious.  If this show doesn't look like your cup of tea fine, it doesn't particularly look like mine, but I'd personally cool it with the character/talent judgements.

Comedy doesn't really have to be about anything, as long as it's funny.  

Whilst I agree that it doesn't have to be I would say lot of the best comedy IS about something, there's an essential joke or dynamic or statement built into it. That's what makes it memorably funny. I guess I regard a lot of McFarlane's work as disposable. I was a huge pre-cancellation Family guy fan but going back it's not nearly the classic I thought it was at the time.

edit: to clarify my thoughts, theres nothing wrong with off the cuff agendaless comedy. That's MST3K in a nutshell. It's just that, if you make a science fiction show it needs to be making as larger point about science fiction beyond 'funny star trek door joke #6' or weird alien sex gags. Again, see Galaxy Quest or Red Dwarf. Red Dwarf is damn near profound at points.

Edited by Stavros

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I just got done with the pilot of the Orville. I know critics are ripping it a new one because it's transparent Star Trek fanfic and not the ribald comedy Fox advertised it as. It's not an awful show, but it's definitely held back by a tonal imbalance. There were two or three times I chuckled, and the overall look is really damn slick. The characters are moderately likable, save for the bro-y navigator guy who's main joke is "Think they have bars/strippers/etc. on that planet?", which is stupefyingly unfunny.  There's nothing terribly innovative about it because of that tonal imbalance. I see potential for it should it smooth itself out a bit, but right now it's essentially Brian Griffin on the set of the Next Gen Enterprise.

I thought it looked really good (Jon Favreau did his usual good job). It was sold as a straight-up comedy, but what we got was a first season TNG episode with a little more humor, most of which was very unfunny. Pilots are generally rough, and I'm going to give it another shot, but at some point Fox is going to have to say "no" to MacFarlane.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm watching Power Rangers Time Force.  I get to episode 6, in which a school bus full of kids is hijacked and they are held for ransom.  Immediately, I think of my favorite episode of Walker, Texas Ranger (Cyclone) which just so happens to have the same plot.   Naturally, I find it on dailymotion and watch it with way too much glee.  (Off topic: Walker digs out the school bus, which had been buried by heavy machinery, with his bare hands.  Oh, and a tornado is ten feet away.  Too much glee.) 

Didn't hit me until the end.  The 'Villain of the Week' on that specific episode of Walker is  *check IMDB* Edward Albert, a main cast member of Power Rangers Time Force.  I love weird coincidences.

• 1 month later...

This is exciting and also scary news. It would be nice from a film stand point for most of Marvel's properties to be under one roof but it's scary because this is another studio under one roof. It would be nice for the new Star Wars films to begin with the 20th Century Fox Fanfare. That said, it's scary that we would be down one more major studio. That's one less destinct voice out there.

I hope so.

It's a HUGE blow to independent cinema. I also don't give a shit if Wolverine gets to be in an Avengers movie or whatever. I don't care about Star Wars either, but the whole monopoly aspect is just not good, especially in the hands of a corporation that has a horrible track record with employees like Disney.