Sign in to follow this  
JackFetch

Random movie and tv thoughts

Preston   

McFarlane is actually a fairly talented guy when he gets out of his frat boy aesthetic. That said, hard pass here. 

Stavros   

I agree he's talented, but his bits and style are so hackneyed right now. It's just nostalgia and observational stuff, his comedy isn't really about anything.

Gareth   

Comedy is subjective.  I know many people who find his stuff thoroughly enjoyable and hilarious.  If this show doesn't look like your cup of tea fine, it doesn't particularly look like mine, but I'd personally cool it with the character/talent judgements.

Stavros   

Comedy doesn't really have to be about anything, as long as it's funny.  

Whilst I agree that it doesn't have to be I would say lot of the best comedy IS about something, there's an essential joke or dynamic or statement built into it. That's what makes it memorably funny. I guess I regard a lot of McFarlane's work as disposable. I was a huge pre-cancellation Family guy fan but going back it's not nearly the classic I thought it was at the time.

edit: to clarify my thoughts, theres nothing wrong with off the cuff agendaless comedy. That's MST3K in a nutshell. It's just that, if you make a science fiction show it needs to be making as larger point about science fiction beyond 'funny star trek door joke #6' or weird alien sex gags. Again, see Galaxy Quest or Red Dwarf. Red Dwarf is damn near profound at points.

Edited by Stavros

Rjoyadet   

The previous two posts were from books that I enjoyed. I hope that the star power names of either movie don't hijack the film.