Random movie and tv thoughts

JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You want proof that there is no God? SyFy didn't pick up this pilot of Mike Mignola art in motion. Paul Giamatti as the hero, David Hyde Pierce as the villain and Corey fucking Burton as Abe Lincoln. I present: The Amazing Screw-On Head.

Actually I take it as proof that there IS a god, for nature could not be so callous and cruel by random happen-stance.

That show looked AWESOME

Considering the awesome sideline Blade Trinity has in casting minor roles (excepting HHH), it really should have been a better film.

edit: Jesus Christ, its been a while since I've seen this and I knew it was bad, but god damn its close to unwatchable. I never even would have spent the £1.50 I did if I'd remembered. This might be the biggest disparity between sequels I've ever seen. Bigger than Superman II to III. Bigger than Godfather 2 to 3.

Not a single actor in this film has convinced me they gave anything close to a shit, and all the martial arts innovation, cool camera work and wicked soundtrack is just MIA.

Considering the awesome sideline Blade Trinity has in casting minor roles (excepting HHH), it really should have been a better film.

edit: Jesus Christ, its been a while since I've seen this and I knew it was bad, but god damn its close to unwatchable. I never even would have spent the £1.50 I did if I'd remembered. This might be the biggest disparity between sequels I've ever seen. Bigger than Superman II to III. Bigger than Godfather 2 to 3.

Not a single actor in this film has convinced me they gave anything close to a shit, and all the martial arts innovation, cool camera work and wicked soundtrack is just MIA.

Say what you want about the rest of the movie, but Triple H was awesome in it. Also, Snipes openly admitted he didn't give a shit about the film, as he felt it was just made to give a Ryan Reynolds spin off, which never happened.

My updated movie list for the next couple of months. Watching films in the cinema is one of my favourite things to do, and the last few months were sadly lacking. The rest of the summer is going to make up for that-

July

8th- Predators

16th- Inception

19th- Toy Story 3

28th- The A-Team

August

6th- Scott Pilgrim vs The World

6th- Knight and Day (eh, maybe if its a slow week)

13th- The Last Airbender (same)

20th- Piranha 3D (Seen the trailer, definitely one to watch with a big group)

20th- The Expendables

All starts tomorrow with Predators. Only films I'm really expecting much from are Inception, TS3 and Scott Pilgrim, but Predators, A-team, The Expendables and Piranha 3D should all be decent guilty pleasures.

Not much in the way of Superhero films, I suppose Iron Man and Kick-Ass were our lot for now.

Stardust is excellent, sorta like the Princess Bride in that it should be bad but completely isn't.

Saw Predators. Minor spoilery things below-

It was good, if a little daft. The start was totally hackneyed and more than a little blunt in explaining the scenario. Things don't really kick up to being nice and original until Lawrence Fishbourne shows up, and from that point on its really quite fun.

A few gripes.

-The predators manage to assemble a team of crack soldiers, mercenaries and murderers and dump them on a planet to fend for themselves. Given that they managed to catch a killer that the police hadn't and remove a guy from death row, they must have a HELL of a surveillance unit covering earth. They captured fucking mexican gang members and Yakuza as well! In fact the real pro predators are the guys that catch these dudes in order to use them in the hunt later, it takes serious skills to investigate personal histories and know that each person you're getting is a cream of the crop killer.

-The cliche-filled gang. Putting together this team was WAY more effort than it needed to be. They could just scoop up a special ops team whole y'know, but instead they got for the media-influenced cliches. Surprised they didn't throw in a ninja, a pirate, a cowboy and a zombie just to round it out.

-They look up at the sky and notice that the sun hasn't moved the entire time, then 20 minutes later they look up and there's about 6 planets, all WAY too close. Did they not notice this before?!

There are some serious issues with this film and its feasibility. However its WAY better than either AVP, its much more in the vein of the original, and its genuinely fun the longer it goes on. Its no-where near the original, but its not offensive.

Stardust is excellent, sorta like the Princess Bride in that it should be bad but completely isn't.

Saw Predators. Minor spoilery things below-

It was good, if a little daft. The start was totally hackneyed and more than a little blunt in explaining the scenario. Things don't really kick up to being nice and original until Lawrence Fishbourne shows up, and from that point on its really quite fun.

A few gripes.

-The predators manage to assemble a team of crack soldiers, mercenaries and murderers and dump them on a planet to fend for themselves. Given that they managed to catch a killer that the police hadn't and remove a guy from death row, they must have a HELL of a surveillance unit covering earth. They captured fucking mexican gang members and Yakuza as well! In fact the real pro predators are the guys that catch these dudes in order to use them in the hunt later, it takes serious skills to investigate personal histories and know that each person you're getting is a cream of the crop killer.

-The cliche-filled gang. Putting together this team was WAY more effort than it needed to be. They could just scoop up a special ops team whole y'know, but instead they got for the media-influenced cliches. Surprised they didn't throw in a ninja, a pirate, a cowboy and a zombie just to round it out.

-They look up at the sky and notice that the sun hasn't moved the entire time, then 20 minutes later they look up and there's about 6 planets, all WAY too close. Did they not notice this before?!

There are some serious issues with this film and its feasibility. However its WAY better than either AVP, its much more in the vein of the original, and its genuinely fun the longer it goes on. Its no-where near the original, but its not offensive.

That's saying to me, I should save my money and wait for the DVD for Predators.

Figured I've got some time to kill, so I popped in Enterprise finale These Are The Voyages and regretted it almost instantly as the bossanova beat theme froze my soul. How, how could they take the worst Trek theme that everyone was complaining about and MAKE IT EVEN WORSE.

Don't mind the episode though, but then I'm a TNG mark.

Olivia Munn did a great segment on the daily show about Arizona's current laws. Honestly I didn't figure she'd fit in to the crew but that was a hilarious little bit and she tore that Arizona politician apart. Interesting to see how she does in a person-to-person in studio with John. Plus she's a welcome distraction from the eye-candy that makes up most of their team. I mean, you only hire John Oliver for one reason, am I right?

Figured I've got some time to kill, so I popped in Enterprise finale These Are The Voyages and regretted it almost instantly as the bossanova beat theme froze my soul. How, how could they take the worst Trek theme that everyone was complaining about and MAKE IT EVEN WORSE.

Here's a shocker for ya:

I actually like that theme. A lot.

I used to hate it, but eventually I began to think of Enterprise as more of a NASA show rather than a strictly Trek show, and I liked it a lot better. Enterprise is only bad in that it doesn't give the Trek fans what they expect from a normal Trek show. As a not-strictly-Star-Trek science fiction series, it's actually really good.

So yeah, the opening theme is really powerful when it's put in terms of that "we will prevail" space race/human achievement mentality.

Though you're right, they totally made it worse by making it acoustic guitar. Ugh.

Here's a shocker for ya:

I actually like that theme. A lot.

I used to hate it, but eventually I began to think of Enterprise as more of a NASA show rather than a strictly Trek show, and I liked it a lot better. Enterprise is only bad in that it doesn't give the Trek fans what they expect from a normal Trek show. As a not-strictly-Star-Trek science fiction series, it's actually really good.

So yeah, the opening theme is really powerful when it's put in terms of that "we will prevail" space race/human achievement mentality.

Though you're right, they totally made it worse by making it acoustic guitar. Ugh.

I don't hate it like some others do, I didn't mind that Star Trek was using a non-orchestral theme, but yeah, the bossanova BS rejig was just awful.

Don't mind the episode though, but then I'm a TNG mark.

Y'know Patton Oswalt's bit about going back in time and bashing George Lucas with a shovel? I wish I could do that to Rick Berman and Brannon Braga.