Mike's list of crazy ideas

Missy

I want to keep a running log of the wacky ideas I've tossed out during Bigger on the Inside. Feel free to add any I've forgotten.

River Song is The Master.

The Master is The War Chief.

Time Lords can fly. (A joke... sort of.)

Ian broke the TARDIS.

The unnamed woman from The End of Time is Susan.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to keep a running log of the wacky ideas I've tossed out during Bigger on the Inside. Feel free to add any I've forgotten.

River Song is The Master.

The Master is The War Chief.

Time Lords can fly. (A joke... sort of.)

Ian broke the TARDIS.

The unnamed woman from The End of Time is Susan.

I liked the Ian broke the TARDIS idea. It makes more sense than the shape shifting circuit just freezing up. Also we know what kind of trouble guys like Ian are right????

The Susan theory isn't crazy? There are still a lot of people who think it's his mum (even the cast on the dvd's) but there are so many subtle little nods towards it being Susan and none that I can see to hint that it might be his mum.

It's not crazy, but it is unproven. Plus, and Dan mentioned this in episode 34, Russell Davies has said he intended it to be The Doctor's mom.

Also we know what kind of trouble guys like Ian are right????

Yes we do! :D

The Doctor never talked about specific members of his family in the old series. It's only in the new series that he acknowledged being a father (which of course he always was, seeing as how he had a granddaughter). But no, he's never talked about his mother.

Certainly I think that the episode and current Who canon can lend itself to either interpretation, but I must admit that if they later say it's Susan I would personally find it weird. I know in the continuity the Doctor, Master, and various Time Lords are hundreds of years old, but as a viewer I still think its important the age of various actors be taken into account. By that I mean, Eccleston or Tennant having a romantic relationship with Billie Pipper or Freema Agyeman works. William Hartnell having a relationship with an actress that young, not so much, even if the Doctor is "younger" at that point.

I would also certainly concede that may not be a perfect metaphor, but that is the general idea I'm trying to convey. I also remain open to the possibility that a great scene or episode could be done with Matt Smith or a future Doctor having it be Susan. As with everything in fiction it's mostly about the execution of such an idea.

And on a different note, I still find the idea of the Doctor or the Master having a set number of regenerations to be a bad idea. I like the idea of Doctor Who continuing on in perpetuity, it's just such a great storytelling premise.

Oh, there should be no doubt that the limit on regenerations will be lifted or the Doctor will get a new set. I just hope when he regenerates into 14, there's some kinda suprise, not a "I knew that would happen" feeling. Then again, I'm also the person that thinks it would be awesome that when The Doctor finally gets to be a ginger, he's a she. Mike would have sensory overload.

Well, here's a wacky notion of mine that I can't shake loose out of my melon of a head. Taking into account that The Doctor is nearly 1000 years old, wouldn't that mean that relatively speaking, humans are like children to him? So wouldn't that make any romantic/sexual relations The Doctor has with human females pedophilia?

Oh, there should be no doubt that the limit on regenerations will be lifted or the Doctor will get a new set. I just hope when he regenerates into 14, there's some kinda suprise, not a "I knew that would happen" feeling. Then again, I'm also the person that thinks it would be awesome that when The Doctor finally gets to be a ginger, he's a she. Mike would have sensory overload.

There actually already is a 'back door' out of the whole 'only twelve regenerations' things set up. Back in THE DEADLY ASSASSIN, the Doctor is elected President of Gallifrey...and we're informed in a line of dialogue that one of the perks of being President is that those who served in the office are given an entirely new twelve-regeneration cycle. So technically, the Doctor can regenerate 24 times.

Well, here's a wacky notion of mine that I can't shake loose out of my melon of a head. Taking into account that The Doctor is nearly 1000 years old, wouldn't that mean that relatively speaking, humans are like children to him? So wouldn't that make any romantic/sexual relations The Doctor has with human females pedophilia?

That's a level of deconstruction I'm uncomfortable with in my fictional stories. It's like arguing Luke, Leia, and Han are slaveholders because they never mention or offer freedom to 3PO and R2-D2, even though I would contend they're sentient.

That's a level of deconstruction I'm uncomfortable with in my fictional stories. It's like arguing Luke, Leia, and Han are slaveholders because they never mention or offer freedom to 3PO and R2-D2, even though I would contend they're sentient.

It's also why I'm pretty much against him having romantic relationships, at least with humans. Rose is barely older than his grandaughter was when the show first started. Its messed up.

I have no idea how that relates to what I'm talking about.

I don't think this is so wacky at all. I personally have always maintained that his having these sorts of relations is tantamount to pedophilia. I suppose you could say that all this lonely god business has gotten to him, but it's just kind of ick to me, no matter how you slice it. IMO this whole "shipper" slant to DW reduces the show to the level of a soap opera.

While I'm listing the not wacky stuff I've read so far, I have to include 2 of Mike's theories.

While I don't think that the War Chief is the Master, Mike is not the 1st person to have proposed it. I think someone kicked this around on 1 of the msg boards when the topic was The War Games. I don't see any evidence, but I think it's a harmless enough theory.

The woman at the End of Time IS Susan, IMO, until I hear differently! I was 50/50 between it being Susan or Romana, but I'm hoping for Susan.

First I will admit I may have been confusing by using the term reconstruction in the TV tropes sense TV Tropes Deconstruction

Second what I mean specifically by that example is your notion isn't wacky at all. What I would contend however is that most of these fictional stories have at least one element that doesn't hold up to scrutiny in a real world setting. Therefore, in my mind, each case must be weighed against what the intent of the story would seem to be, which in this case I do not think Doctor Who is encouraging pedophilia. (Not that I'm saying that's your contention either.)

So in conclusion, I do not think it is a wacky notion you are having, but I generally like the romantic aspect to some of the Doctor's companions and I do not think it is sending the wrong message. Hopefully that made more sense Derrick, from one Derrick to another.

First I will admit I may have been confusing by using the term reconstruction in the TV tropes sense TV Tropes Deconstruction

Second what I mean specifically by that example is your notion isn't wacky at all. What I would contend however is that most of these fictional stories have at least one element that doesn't hold up to scrutiny in a real world setting. Therefore, in my mind, each case must be weighed against what the intent of the story would seem to be, which in this case I do not think Doctor Who is encouraging pedophilia. (Not that I'm saying that's your contention either.)

So in conclusion, I do not think it is a wacky notion you are having, but I generally like the romantic aspect to some of the Doctor's companions and I do not think it is sending the wrong message. Hopefully that made more sense Derrick, from one Derrick to another.

Thanks for the clarification and yeah, now I do get what you're talking about.

And I'm not opposed to The Doctor having romance in his life. But when we're talking about characters like Rose Tyler and Martha Jones, both of who tended to act like simpering schoolgirls with the Doctor, I have to wonder. Now when we're talking about characters like Romana or Lady Pompadour I can see The Doctor being romantically attracted to them.

• 1 month later...