Episode 38

RSS

The ninth season of Doctor Who sadly ends with a whimper ("The Mutants" and "The Time Monster"), but that doesn't mean the hosts agree on the episodes. Also, Mike becomes flustered while talking about Captain Yates, Dan has something to say about the chicken-suited Kronos, and then there's Cotton. Oh, Cotton. [ 1:16:57 || 35.3 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_038.mp3

We have a Doctor Who Monster Guide at work that I'll occasionally reference whilst listening to the episodes, just to get a sense of what some of these creatures actually look like.

When you said Kronos looked like a guy in a chicken suit... you may have been giving it too much credit.

• 3 years later...

Hi folks. I found Bigger on the Inside about a month ago, and have quickly gone through the first 37 podcasts. After downloading them one or two episodes at a time, I spent several hours over the weekend downloading the rest of the episodes. If I've gone this far, I think I'll stick with it.

I wish I had known about the 'cast a few years ago, as I would be able to listen along and provide feedback "live" but wibby wobbly.

I'm about to start listening to show 38. I'm sure some things will have changed, but my comments so far ... 1 - Can't agree with you more about Useless. Sorry, I mean Jo Grant. After the Doctor's experiences with Ian and Barbara, Jamie, and Liz - you know, characters who have personalities and aren't complete morons - Useless is a complete downgrade. I finally realized, a season into her era, what their relationship is. She is his pet. He thinks of Useless like any of us would think of a beloved cat or dog. Sure, she can speak, but the Doctor understands every language including baby. She's a companion, not a Companion, and I have never been happier to see an assistant go as when she gets dumped in Green Death.

2 - I like that you've added a third voice to the mix through Adam. That said, I would love to be able to *hear* what Adam is saying. He starts talking into the microphone and then turns away, or holds the mic several feet away from his mouth, so it becomes inaudible. In order to hear even the slightest bit of what he's saying, I have to turn the sound all the way to the very loudest it can go, which means when you guys come back, the sound is overwhelming. Does the quality of his recordings improve over time? If not, I'll have to skip his bits.

3 - It looks like you've completed every on-tv story up through and including the regeneration into Capaldi. I haven't looked at the notes for each 'cast, so I don't know this answer - Have you done the other series and spin-offs? I specifically mean Dreamland, Infinite Quest, Sarah Jane Adventures, Torchwood, and the two Cushing movies?

First off, welcome!

1) As I recall, I was harder on Jo than Mike was. I have never been able to figure out why she was so popular. I think you're right on the money.

2) I believe Adam's recordings did get clearer. (it's been a while, so I'm a little fuzzy.) If you like what he has to say, he has his own podcast (The 20mb Doctor Who Podcast) which is still going.

3) We did the animated specials, but otherwise we've left the spin-off material alone.

Mike, correct me if I'm wrong, but the shirts were available through Zazzle, and a few years back the BBC did a huge sweep of anything Who-related, and a lot of podcasts saw their shirts go away.

Adam was recording on his iPhone, so the sound wasn't always the best if, as you noted, his head turned away. It did however get better over time, but then he stopped phoning in for one reason or another.

Dan's correct about the Zazzle store and the T-shirts.

When it comes to Jo, I kinda liked her. In someways, I can see your point about The Doctor treating her like a pet. Though, I think he saw her as a young, naive woman whom he was trying to impart infinite wisdom upon.