World Cup 2010- South Africa

Stavros

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched this match as a neutral, but I'll admit that I was pleased that Holland advanced over Uruguay, mainly because of the way Suarez boasted about the tactical nous of his cynical handball against Ghana. What an utter James Blunt.

That said, although I'd like to see Holland win the competition, especially in that they'll face either the favoured Spain or Germany, they'll really need to step up their game if they want to win the World Cup itself.

• 4 months later...

Not making a new thread for the hosting announcement, it's all 2010 :)

What a load of crap. I new Australia would never get 2022, but it's a disgrace that the 2 most corrupt nations in the bidding process were the countries to win. Everyone talks about how corrupt FIFA is and this pretty much proves it.

Even if you don't buy the curruption angle (which I totally do, given that it's Russia and Qatar), if FIFA wanted to open up to new markets as they claim, then they should have just stated that in advance so that places like England, the US, Spain and Portugal needn't have wasted their time, money and effort in bidding for the events.

How in the hell is Qatar going to host the largest sporting event in the world? Who is going to go there since you need a permit to drink alcohol and you can't drink in public? That pretty much leaves out all of Europe. Their laws are too strict for an event like this. The best thing is their workers from out of the country are pretty much slaves.

In common with other Persian Gulf Arab countries, sponsorship laws exist in Qatar. These laws have been widely described as akin to modern-day slavery.[34] The sponsorship system (kafeel or kafala) exists throughout the GCC, apart from Bahrain, and means that a worker (not a tourist) may not enter the country without having a kafeel; cannot leave without the kafeel's permission (an exit permit must first be awarded by the sponsor, or kafeel); and the sponsor has the right to ban the employee from entering Qatar within 2–5 years of his first departure. Many sponsors do not allow the transfer of one employee to another sponsor.

Good job FIFA. You almost had me into soccer until you did this.