The Legend of Korra

JackFetch

iTunes currently has the first two episodes available in HD for free. Considering that iTunes now has that "you can download anything you've ever purchased as many times as you want for free" thing, I'm gonna download it then delete it just so it'll be forever linked to my account and I'll have instant access wherever I am.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think Amon is an energybender based on this ad. The announcer says "what shocking secret will Amon reveal?," there's a quick cut then Korra says "that's not possible" followed by Tenzin saying "no bender is safe." I mean unless that power is exclusive to the Avatar (I can't remember). Maybe Aang even taught him?

Just some theories...

I think fans have really overestimated what "energybending" is. It's not like it's an actual fifth elemental skill; it's just a deus ex machina that Aang was able to use. (which makes sense, considering that as the Avatar, he's basically the crossroads of all life)

We've already seen confirmation that Amon's followers can hit nerve points and stop bending like Ty Lee; maybe that's it.

I'm pretty sure the creators of ATLA have gone on record as stating that, in hindsight, they did not like the lion-turtle deus ex machina. Whether that sentiment extends to the actual skill of energybending I can't remember, but I have my doubts that it will show up in Korra.

I really think Amon is an energybender based on this ad...

Holy crap, you were right. Though his followers do definitely have Chi-blocking. I wonder how Amon was able to do it? Seems like maybe it's not the same thing Aang did, since it didn't have that same glowy face effect. Maybe it's a super-advanced form of chi-blocking that isn't as permanent as Amon says it is?

• 3 weeks later...

Some awesome stuff in this week's episode, especially the flashback Korra had to Aang's life. I want a movie of that story!

Spoilers of only theories and this episode but I'll throw it up in a tag anyway

Based on my current theory Amon is Aang's non-bending kid. What the flashback showed was

-Aang with beard talking to Toth in full metalbending geal, who was pointing at someone accusingly

-Firelord Ozai as an older man talking to Aang and looking villainous

-Another shot of Ozai looking evil

-Aang looking like he was engaging the Avatar state as someone cowered before him

-Close-up of Aang in the same situation, looking mean as hell

So, theory update- Ozai learns of the existence of Chi-blocking when Aang does it to him, and either learns how to do it himself or teaches Aang's son his ideas about it. Aang then gets royally pissed at his own son. Or it's entirely possible that the son saw Aang as this terrifying person and is attempting to remove all bending as a way to get rid of that threat.

I really want to see how Ozai and Zuko fit into all this. Give me a show about that story! Or an entire season of this one devoted to it!

Except in the finale Aang wasn't chi-blocking, he was energybending. And how do you know that guy was Ozai, I didn't get that impression at all.

Anyway, amazing episode, I honestly can't believe what they can do on this show. Honestly some of the set peices in the climax rivaled the ones in Sozin's Comet. Also Jeremy Zuckermans score is incredible, he's improved so much since the first series, which had great music to begin with!

I am consistently blown away by this show, just wish they'd move it to a nighttime slot...

Aang took Ozai's abilities, Amon does the same. You're right though, chi-blocking could be different to the actual power-stealing technique.

This is a picture of the guy-

0.jpg

I'm realising now that he actually looks more like Zhao-

Commander_Zhao_Southern_Air_Temple.png

But I don't rule out Ozai, in fact I still favour him. The character shown in the flashback is the right age and looks similar to those two men. He's clearly from a generation before Aang and his friends.

Here's an earlier flashback of what looks like the same events-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKoOSYdcwYs

and the new one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYeq393bZSE

It looks like whoever it is on trial. Sokka is also there in some capacity, which is interesting since whilst Aang is the Avatar and Toth is a guard, we still don't know what he did in later years.

Aang took Ozai's abilities, Amon does the same. You're right though, chi-blocking could be different to the actual power-stealing technique.

What Aang does to Ozai in the finale is energybending, a completely different technique than chi-blocking (Ty-Lee). So far we know Amon's followers are chi-blockers, but what he's doing doesn't match either of those two techniques. Also chi-blocking (as far as we know) isn't perminate. And when he takes away people's bending there isn't an incredible light show like there was when Aang energybended.

Anyway there are 2 different techniques, and its unknown which one (if either) Amon is using.

Yeah, and as for the guy in the picture, I don't recognize him as anyone from the original series. The bigger question for me is why does Korra have these flashbacks to Aangs life whenever she's near Amon? I guessing this will continue and will become something of a puzzle. But god a movie/miniseries of the aang gangs adult life would be epic, hell, I'd even take a regular avatar and the firelord type episode for this series.

I've started thinking what's after Korra? At the rate their world is developing the next avatar show would have to take place in modern day. They could also go back and make a series about an avatar before Aang, but I really don't see them back tracking. But however that decided to do it I don't see the avatar universe ending anytime soon.

What Aang does to ozai in the finale is energybending, a completely different technique than chi-blocking (Ty-Lee). As of yet we know Amons followers are chi-blockers but what he's doing doesn't match either of those two techniques. Also chi-blocking (as far as we know) isn't perminate. And when he takes away people's bending there isn't an incredible light show like there was when Aang energybended.

Anyway there are 2 different techniques, and its unknown which one (if either) Amon is using.

Just to ask, how is what Amon does different from what Aang does? Minor differences in finger position aside the result is exactly the same, the unwilling participant has their power removed. Any difference seems semantic.

http://avatar.wikia....#cite_note-TR-3

I looked up Amon, it doesn't look like his identity is a big mystery after all. I do think the court case in the flashbacks directly relates to what happened to him though. The man in court is probably the one responsible, a Firebender but unlikely to be one we actually know.

The biggest difference that I see is: this is what it looked like when Aang took away Ozai's bending

Energybending.png

But this is when Amon took away someone's bending

The_Revelation.png

I looked up Amon, it doesn't look like his identity is a big mystery after all. I do think the court case in the flashbacks directly relates to what happened to him though. The man in court is probably the one responsible, a Firebender but unlikely to be one we actually know.

Well at least that's what Amon claimed during the equalist rally, from what I've seen most fans are skeptical that it's the truth. But if everything Amon claimed was the truth than there's a very good possibility that that is the man responsible. Maybe Aang knew Amon's parents and even him as a boy. Then they were killed by this guy and Aang's not happy.

I took the lightshow in the first instance to be more spiritually representative than literal, at least with the red/blue split. The light that does emanate into the sky would be indicative of Aang using the Avatar state to win that spiritual battle, the way his arrow shines that's what it looks like. The way Amon does it the thumb is in the same spot and like I said, the result is the same. It wouldn't be appropriate animation-wise for the same lightshow to take place when Amon robs someone of their abilities, especially a crime lord as here.

Okay then assuming Amon is an energybender, either Aang or a lion turtle must have granted him that power. Because in the last episode of the first series the lion turtle granted Aang that power to take away Ozai's bending.

Aang_and_Lion_Turtle.png

Wow, now I'm really interested to see how this will all play out.

Oh, I thought of it like the lion turtle gave Aang the ability to energybend I didn't realize it was something you learned. Much like a non-bender can't learn to waterbend. I didn't realize it was possible to energybend without being touched by a lion turtle, or whatever he did.