The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

So I thought I would make a general thread, just for laid back discussion about currently read comics between the friendly chaps at Earth-2.

Myself, I’ve recently read through the first volume of Daredevil (the big thick hardcover). Wasn’t a big fan of Kevin Smith’s writing, but the second story “Parts of a hole” I really enjoyed. It made for a great introduction to Daredevil, Kingpin and Echo, since it delved into their back stories.

I also read the Watchmen. Really, really enjoyed it.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Laid back... discussions... about comics? I'm sorry, I don't understand.

Watchmen is, of course, amazing. It's such a hack cliche, but I really do come away with something new every time I read it. It's the only book (thus far) that I've been able to talk myself into shelling out for the Absolute Edition.

Maybe I have to reread it, but I really liked Smith's take on Daredevil. That said, I can see how the ending might feel disjointed from the rest of the story, but I don't think the "it was me all along" hurt the book too much. It, more than any other book, set the tone for the Marvel Universe we're seeing right now.

Maybe I have to reread it, but I really liked Smith's take on Daredevil. That said, I can see how the ending might feel disjointed from the rest of the story, but I don't think the "it was me all along" hurt the book too much. It, more than any other book, set the tone for the Marvel Universe we're seeing right now.

Of all the surprise villian dealies we've seen I think that Kevin Smith's run on DD is one of my favorites. Its a big turning point in the characters history as well, it really sets up the later Bendis run that redefined the modern character. Its pretty much the same thing Smith did for Green Arrow.

You know whats blowing me away right now? Justice Society. The Kingdom Come Superman combined with the sprawling cast and old favorites is really working to make this my standout book at the moment. The Supermen vs Hercules scene in the last issue was flat-out AWESOME.

Oddly enough of all the books I got last week the one I liked most was the one I expected to like least. Deadpool in Wolverine Origins is great at the moment, he's like one of the few people who can go toe to toe with Wolverine and be competitive.

Next week should be better- All Star Superman, Ultimate Spider-man, Daredevil and both Avengers. Hard to go wrong there.

Compared to Nicieza's writing over in Cable & Deadpool, I'm not too keen on Way's portrayal of Deadpool in Origins. Way's jokes seem forced, whereas the ones in C&D had a certain flow. That's not to say the Origins Deadpool is terrible; it's just not what I'm wanting from the character.

Compared to Nicieza's writing over in Cable & Deadpool, I'm not too keen on Way's portrayal of Deadpool in Origins. Way's jokes seem forced, whereas the ones in C&D had a certain flow. That's not to say the Origins Deadpool is terrible; it's just not what I'm wanting from the character.

I was pleasently surprised when I first picked up this run, as 'Pool is shown as utterly nuts and yet brutally effective. I'm a huge fan of Cable & Deadpool but that series has been quite hit and miss from beginning to end if I'm honest (Cable stuff was a miss, Deadpool was a hit). What I like here is that Deadpool is depicted as insane in a very violent and realistic world. He's great in C&DP when he's spoofing marvel icons (Jean Grey Costume) but it never feels like it has consequences or larger implications. 'Pool shown here is a much more brutal proposition and after 50 issues of him leaping around like a ninja and dancing around the big storylines I'm ready for a new take. Plus when he and Cable finally reunite its going to be really interesting given the old homo-erotic vibe between the two.

That reunion, I think, is a long ways off. Cable's comic is set in the future, and Deadpool won't have a new book until August-ish.

I might give the Kingdom Come JSA story a try once a trade is released. JSA is one of those books I want to like, but it never hooks me. :shakehead:

That reunion, I think, is a long ways off. Cable's comic is set in the future, and Deadpool won't have a new book until August-ish.

I might give the Kingdom Come JSA story a try once a trade is released. JSA is one of those books I want to like, but it never hooks me. :shakehead:

I'm a long time fan going back to when James Robinson was writing the JSA when they restarted. Or at least, I've read those trades. I'm always going to be invested in the welfare of classic characters like the original Flash & GA as well as the updated Mr Terrific & Mr Midnite. I was a little intimidated by the sheer number of new people Johns was bringing in and I think that the series occasionally loses focus due to this but the one thing thats absolutly golden in this right now is KC Supes.

Actually with the way they are bringing in all the new heroes that are the product of legacies it almost feels more like the X-men, with the experianced guys leading and running the mansion whilst the new guys kick around and learn the ropes. Its so much more natural a way to bring new heroes into the DCU than just sticking them somewhere no-one is going to read them. I just wish some of the existing roster got a little more time. You could really have two JSA team books if you wanted but unlike the X-men the JSA arn't going to stick all the newbies in one team and send them out to fight dangerous killers unsupervised. The way its done just makes sense.

I'm a long time fan going back to when James Robinson was writing the JSA when they restarted. Or at least, I've read those trades. I'm always going to be invested in the welfare of classic characters like the original Flash & GA as well as the updated Mr Terrific & Mr Midnite. I was a little intimidated by the sheer number of new people Johns was bringing in and I think that the series occasionally loses focus due to this but the one thing thats absolutly golden in this right now is KC Supes.

I love Robinson. His Golden Age mini is in my top five stories, all time.

I read somewhere that Johns wants the JSA roster to expand to roughly two dozen members! I'm sorry, but that's way too huge! Yes, I understand it's supposed to be a family and families can get big, but 24-ish people running around will hinder how well we get to know the characters.

I read somewhere that Johns wants the JSA roster to expand to roughly two dozen members! I'm sorry, but that's way too huge! Yes, I understand it's supposed to be a family and families can get big, but 24-ish people running around will hinder how well we get to know the characters.

*COUGHCOUGH*X-Men*COUGH*

*COUGHCOUGH*X-Men*COUGH*

At least the X-cast is spread out over several books. With seven members each, Uncanny and Astonishing have the largest rosters. The other books currently have about five members each (with Wolverine being on three of the teams):

Astonishing: Wolverine, Colossus, Emma, Scott, Kitty, Beast and Armor

Legacy: Xavier, Magneto and a bunch of bad guys

Uncanny: Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Emma, Scott, Angel and Hepzibah

X-Factor: Madrox, M, Strong Guy, Rictor and Siryn

X-Force: Wolverine, X-23, Warpath and Wolfsbane

Young X-Men: Dust, Blindfold, Wolf Cub, Rockslide, Ink and Greymalkin

*COUGHCOUGH*X-Men*COUGH*

At least the X-cast is spread out over several books. With seven members each, Uncanny and Astonishing have the largest rosters. The other books currently have about five members each (with Wolverine being on three of the teams):

Astonishing: Wolverine, Colossus, Emma, Scott, Kitty, Beast and Armor

Legacy: Xavier, Magneto and a bunch of bad guys

Uncanny: Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Emma, Scott, Angel and Hepzibah

X-Factor: Madrox, M, Strong Guy, Rictor and Siryn

X-Force: Wolverine, X-23, Warpath and Wolfsbane

Young X-Men: Dust, Blindfold, Wolf Cub, Rockslide, Ink and Greymalkin

It's definitely been improved. I can remember the late 90s, when it seemed like a new X-Man joined the team every two or three months or so, and everyone who had ever been an X-Man was shoved into either X-Men, Uncanny, or both, and there were close to thirty characters all fighting each other for screen time. It was chaos, and I would hate for JSA to go down that road.

Hopefully Johns is building to something big, something that calls for this huge cast. Afterwards he can then establish a core team, with the other members acting as support. Or, hell, maybe they're going to create a second JSA title: KC Superman with his own team, and someone else with another.

Hopefully Johns is building to something big, something that calls for this huge cast. Afterwards he can then establish a core team, with the other members acting as support. Or, hell, maybe they're going to create a second JSA title: KC Superman with his own team, and someone else with another.

That could definitely work. So long as each book wasn't too crowded, because there are a lot of really good characters there.

On another track is this the best idea ever or what?

http://www.kidscomiccon.com/kidscomiccon2008.html

Y'know, it's odd. I've been singing the praises of Justice Society since it began and was shocked when Mike said he liked Justice League better. But this Kingdom Come arc has been dragging for me. Not that it's horrible, I still dig the book, it's just not knocking my socks off like it did in the beginning. As a life long Marvel Zombie, I've been enjoying DC a lot more than Marvel recently. Booster Gold has been excellent, Green Lantern is brilliant, and Brave and The Bold is a lot of fun. I've also been really ejoying Grant Morrison's Batman run. As a fan of the 50's era Batman, it's been great seeing which Silver Age element he brings in next (Batmite's back baby!).

I'm also really enjoying the JSA KC storyline right now, although I'd be a little surprised if the KC Superman becomes a regular in the book in case he over-shadowed regular Supes. I wouldn't complain about it if he did.

Currently I'm reading a ton of DC stuff from throughout the 1990's, inc. JLA v2 and Morrison's Doom Patrol. Also read a Silver Surfer/Superman crossover that takes my vote as the single worst comic of all time.

Laid back... discussions... about comics? I'm sorry, I don't understand.

That's my roundabout way of saying "let's try to keep this argument free”.

It’s not that I dislike Smith’s take on the characters, it’s just that the story never really clicked with me. The ending didn’t exactly help things though.

Picked up Madrox: Multiple Choice. Thoughts to come.

I’m really tempted to pick this one up; I’ve heard good things about it.

Also read a Silver Surfer/Superman crossover that takes my vote as the single worst comic of all time.

Have you read Batman / Spawn: War Devil?

I haven't sadly, though funnily enough I did read a little about in an old Wizard yesterday. Between that and your quite astounding review, I'm morbidly curious, espcially to hear Batman call Spawn 'punk' fifteen times.

Also read a Silver Surfer/Superman crossover that takes my vote as the single worst comic of all time.

Have you read Batman / Spawn: War Devil?

I haven't sadly, though funnily enough I did read a little about in an old Wizard yesterday. Between that and your quite astounding review, I'm morbidly curious, espcially to hear Batman call Spawn 'punk' fifteen times.

Oh, Jesus. Was it this or the Batman/Punisher one that had Batman incessantly using the word "twit" like he was a ten-year-old who just learned a new swear word?