• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Hey, comics readers - riddle me this.

I'm currently watching through the first season of the 90s Spider-Man series (THAT season, not the 35 that followed) and I've watched the Scorpion origin story. Now in both the cartoon and, according to wikipedia re: the comics origin, Jameson basically turned Gargan into the Scorpion to take down Spider-Man. So my question: has Jameson EVER been jailed/held responsible for this, other than Gargan targetting him out of vengeance? You'd think that'd be quite disqualifying for him holding his brief as editor of a newspaper.

4 hours ago, slothian said:

Hey, comics readers - riddle me this.

I'm currently watching through the first season of the 90s Spider-Man series (THAT season, not the 35 that followed) and I've watched the Scorpion origin story. Now in both the cartoon and, according to wikipedia re: the comics origin, Jameson basically turned Gargan into the Scorpion to take down Spider-Man. So my question: has Jameson EVER been jailed/held responsible for this, other than Gargan targetting him out of vengeance? You'd think that'd be quite disqualifying for him holding his brief as editor of a newspaper.

Jameson was able to keep his involvement in the creation of the Scorpion a secret for years, but he came clean when the Hobgoblin used it against him in a blackmail scheme. He did end up having to step down as the Bugle's editor-in-chief and eventually had to sell the paper altogether. (For a while. Because, you know, comics.)

I think it was public at some point, but I forget. However, Jameson's remained the publisher with Robbie Robertson the EIC ever since, that's not changed. Robbie's been running the Bugle for decades, and ever since Jonah got a heart attack and later became mayor for a while, he's not been at the Bugle for about ten years.

BTW the 90s Spider-Man show rules but the first season is far and away the best. The animation is more consistent and great and Peter's sense of humor is super on point. He's such a huge smartass during the Spider Slayer story.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I really made a promise to myself to calm down on comic spending. But then they had to announce this...

https://www.dcbservice.com/product/sep221108/what-if-into-the-multiverse-omnibus-hc-vol-01-milgrom-cvr

This is the What If? heyday. The best WI? stories (at least the top 10) are in this collection. After issue 39, there's like three or four decent issues. Good stuff.

• 1 year later...

Two things I noticed about this month's Previews:

1. It looks like DC has found a suitable way to finish the Bwahaha era with respect, while also including a certain writer's work without mentioning his name at all in the solicitation. 

2. I would have been the first in line for this release if I haven't spent the last FIVE YEARS collecting epic collections to complete Gruenwald's run on my own. Not sure how many copies of the omnibi they are going to sell at the 150 dollar price point when there's probably going to be four or five volumes. Especially since all the Gruenwald fanboys (see: me) have already completed the run.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Question regarding the DC Universe: Do Green Lanterns get paid?

Surely the Guardians of the Universe do not have an all-volunteer army, right?

If they do get paid, how are taxes handled? How exactly would the Internal Revenue Service handle income derived from other galaxies? Do the Guardians withhold income taxes? Do they provide W-4 forms? Do they provide the lanterns a W-2 at the end of the tax year, by the January 31 deadline? Are they paid in American dollars or do they have to exchange their currency for dollars? How exactly would interplanetary currency exchange work?

Notice I don't mention the taxes of other countries. This is not an oversight. Interestingly enough, all of the Green Lanterns of Earth are American citizens. Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, John Stewart, Kyle Rayner, Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz and Sojourner Mullein are all from the USA.

So no other country on Earth could produce someone worthy of being in the Green Lantern Corps?

'Merica!

But seriously... I understand that DC Comics is based in the USA, but when you think about it, that makes no sense. The X-Men had a multinational team in the 1970's, and they are based in Massachusetts. Keeping things in the DCU, the Justice League had Justice League Europe, etc. The Green Lantern Corps are not even in the Milky Way Galaxy, IIRC.

On 3/15/2024 at 3:49 AM, S-T said:

Question regarding the DC Universe: Do Green Lanterns get paid?

Surely the Guardians of the Universe do not have an all-volunteer army, right?

If they do get paid, how are taxes handled? How exactly would the Internal Revenue Service handle income derived from other galaxies? Do the Guardians withhold income taxes? Do they provide W-4 forms? Do they provide the lanterns a W-2 at the end of the tax year, by the January 31 deadline? Are they paid in American dollars or do they have to exchange their currency for dollars? How exactly would interplanetary currency exchange work?

Notice I don't mention the taxes of other countries. This is not an oversight. Interestingly enough, all of the Green Lanterns of Earth are American citizens. Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, John Stewart, Kyle Rayner, Simon Baz, Jessica Cruz and Sojourner Mullein are all from the USA.

So no other country on Earth could produce someone worthy of being in the Green Lantern Corps?

'Merica!

But seriously... I understand that DC Comics is based in the USA, but when you think about it, that makes no sense. The X-Men had a multinational team in the 1970's, and they are based in Massachusetts. Keeping things in the DCU, the Justice League had Justice League Europe, etc. The Green Lantern Corps are not even in the Milky Way Galaxy, IIRC.

The high likelihood of many of the Lanterns being from post-money societies tells me they get paid nothing. Earth Lanterns had to keep day jobs.