Holy Terror

Koete

More than three months after confirming that his long-discussed Holy Terror graphic novel no longer involves Batman fighting Al Qaeda, Frank Miller has revealed who's taking the Dark Knight's place.

"The character is called The Fixer and he's very much an adventurer who's been essentially searching for a mission," he tells Hero Complex. "He's been trained as special ops and when his city is attacked all of a sudden all the pieces fall into place and all this training comes into play. He's been out there fighting crime without really having his heart in it -- he does it to keep in shape. He's very different than Batman in that he's not a tortured soul. He's a much more well-adjusted creature even though he happens to shoot 100 people in the course of the story."

Miller says that Holy Terror, which was announced in 2006 (as a Batman project from DC Comics), will be released "next year, certainly," although he hasn't signed a publisher. He also addresses the leeriness of DC Comics executives, and his reasons for replacing the Caped Crusader with the new character.

"I pushed Batman as far as he can go and after a while he stops being Batman," he says. "My guy carries a couple of guns and is up against an existential threat. He's not just up against a goofy villain. Ignoring an enemy that's committed to our annihilation is kind of silly. It just seems that chasing the Riddler around seems silly compared to what's going on out there. I've taken Batman as far as he can go."

Source

• 10 months later...