Episode 49

RSS

The Doctor faces Sutekh, the most powerful, evil alien to have ever lived ("Pyramids of Mars"). Then he must stop an alien race from taking control of the planet ("The Android Invasion"). If the last plot sounds a little familiar (RE: generic), well, there's a reason for that. [ 1:11:42 || 32.9 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_049.mp3

• 2 weeks later...

As I wrote in earlier, Pyramids was the first ep I seriously watched. It was shortly after King Tut's tour of the States (1979) so I was into Egyptology at the time. I think the amazing thing about Sutekh is that he can be menacing without moving. I love the gothic tinged episodes and we have another with Morbius coming up.

I think the amazing thing about Sutekh is that he can be menacing without moving.

Exactly. The man is in a chair for the bulk of the episode, yet he kicks so much ass! If only Professor X were that badass, mutantkind wouldn't have to worry about mankind at all.

I love the gothic tinged episodes and we have another with Morbius coming up.

Dan and I will be recording BOTI 50 this evening, in which we'll discuss "The Brain of Morbius" and its Gothic themes.

• 3 years later...

Pyramids - This is one of those stories that people either love or hate. I'm in the love category. I was happy to hear you two gushing over it like the fanboys you are. I was doing the exact same thing. I could hear the joy in both of your voices while talking about this classic (and it IS a classic!).

Android - Meh. I'm sorry, but every time we get another Terry Nation script, it just reinforces my perception that he's a one trick pony. He hit it big with the Daleks, and basically coasted for the rest of his career. I'm kind of surprised it was only four painful parts instead of six excrutiating parts.