Every comic you've read in 2011

Missy

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alien VS Predator Omnibus volume 1 by Dark Horse: This was at the end of the day, a mixed bag. The first 30 pages were pretty fucking dull, with just people talking over Predators killing the aliens. Then an actual story arc kicks in with humans on a different planet and the Predators using that planet as hunting ground for the aliens. That story I really enjoyed as it was given plenty of time to progress and unlike the movies, didn't feel horribly forced. Ended was strange, but still enjoyable. This is followed up by a crappy fill in with a marine team taking on the Predators, which was a crappy fill in. Following this up was the sequel to the long story arc I liked, and like most sequels, it wasn't as good as the first. After that we have one more long story about a reporter finding out about a man who's using Predator tech to live for hundreds of years. It was not bad. Then finally another 2-3 fill in stories which were just crap.

A very, very mixed bag, and when the book was good, it was great and kept me reading, however when it was bad, it was downright crap. I don't think I'll be bothering with the separate Aliens or Predator omnibuses from Dark Horse, as not only are these things £19 a pop (Hooray for giftcards) but I just don't think I'd want to read about the Predators without the Aliens, or vice versa, they go so well together in this book. And the stories here should have been adapted for film.

I may get the second volume of this at some point, but like I said they are pricey and over a quarter of the book was filled with pointless shit.

Trades: 0

HC:0

Comics:

GN:0

Omnibus: 1

Alien VS Predator Volume 1 Omnibus.

Tiny Titans #35: I dropped this book about a year and a half ago for trades, as it just wasn't as fun as it used to be. And I am now behind on the trades. So, I got this issue about Titans from the Multiverse. Fuck was it awesome, Tiny Titans is back to being fun again! The monitor and Anti-Monitor discussion was the best part, and any book that can make you laugh out loud every other page is awesome.

Trades: 0

Comics: 1

Alien VS Predator Volume 1 Omnibus. Tiny Titans #35

The Walking Dead #79-What do you think? Awesome.

Teen Titans Cold Case Oneshot-I thought this was an alright little yarn. It would have been more impactful if it was released closer to Identity Crisis as I have seemed to have forgotten a lot of Titans stuff from that period. It made me want to go back and read IC again, though. Sean Murphy's art is pretty awesome on the Titans.

Nightmaster: Monsters of Rock Oneshot-Beechen. Should have known better. It's a turd. Not even Kieron Dwyer can save it.

Comics: 3

I can actually read! But sadly, since I only read what can be found in most dime boxes, I got what I paid for.

Bodycount 1-4 : Absolutely horrid art. And I really don't need my Ninja Turtles packing heat, shooting people with machine guns.

The Punisher: The Origin of Mircochip 1-2 : I think my main problem, besides reading these sub-par older books, is that petty much anything gained has probably been retconned by now and thus makes the entire thing kinda feel pointless.

Teen Titans Drug PSA : It's an anti drug comic from the early 80s. What do you really expect?

Batman: Jazz 1-3 : Not a bad little three issue story, if not linear and somewhat predictable. While not a huge fan of the art, it seemed to fit the story well.

Comics: 10

Shazam: Monster Society of Evil: It was good, enjoyable and looked nice. I don't know if it would hold up well on second reading, as it felt like he was really running towards his finish point pretty fast by the last issue. But for the most part the Jeff Smith art was nice.

Also, I think in a live action film, Wallace Shawn should play Dr Sivana.

Red Robin #19: Great issue. The Unternet seemed so awesome. Shame the real world parts of the book were pretty boring.

Titans #31: An issue where the only memorable things are bad art, and a z-list villains head being cut off? Yip, that's this. The book looked awful for the most part, and that last page reveal was had the worst art I've seen in god knows how long. Fucking crap.

Trades: 1

Comics: 4

Alien VS Predator Volume 1 Omnibus. Tiny Titans #35, Brightest Day #17, Shazam: Monster Society of Evil TPB. Red Robin #19, Titans #31

Latest chunk: first I'll mention the Marvel Sneak Peeks thing DCBS sent. A sneak peeks issue with a coverfeaturing Ghost Rider, Punisher, Moon Knight, Elektra and Iron Fist and yet NONE of those characters appear in the issue...also, not one worth giving the one issue treatment when they're released. I won't count this as a comic in the tally.

Ultimate Avengers 3 #5-a bit of an improvement here over past issues. Dillon's art is aggravating. 6/10

Captain America #613-I'm a little pissed off that Sin is involved with Fear Itself. I still won't buy it. If this series is too hard to follow during FI then I'm just going to drop it and read no Marvel books. Loved this issue though. 9/10

Nemesis #4-This one is just big dumb crazy and I loved it. Fucking insane. McNiven's art is stellar. 8/10

Northern Guard #1-Oh boy! Am I a mark for Canadian superheroes? Yes, yes I am. Ty Templeton's amalgamation of Canadian Pulp heroes from the forties in a Moonstone comic seemed so good. Then I read it. It took two pages of text to set up the world the story takes place in. The art was childlike. The only thing worse than reading this issue right now is the feeling I have in my stomach knowing that I've already bough up to issue three... 2/10

Batman Inc. #2-Well alright! This is shaping up to be my favorite book. Lovce it. Love Paquette. Loved the two issue storyline and am excited for more. This is the Batman Morrison was meant to write...or is that Batmen? 9/10

DC Universe Legacies #8-Woof! How the mighty have fallen...One thing that only just occurred to me. The lead of this series has hardly aged since about issue three when he became a cop. and here we are looking at the events of the Reign of the Superman and Knightfall, and yet as our lead talks to us in the opening pages, he is a decrepit old man. So how long ago, DC time, did the Reign of the Supermen take place? IT would have to be at least twenty years for this to make sense at all. Ugh. The backup, as almost always, was very cool. Quitely drawing some of the events from New Gods #8 is just fine with me. Too bad he never got to draw Dan Turpin and Kalibak throw down. Regardless, I am eBaying the whole series the moment I finish reading issue 10. 3/10

Green Lantern/Plastic Man: Weapons of Mass Deception-If you'd have told me that Marv Wolfman was writing and Brent Anderson was drawing a team up between Hal Jordan and Plastic Man as they take down mobsters being controlled by alien ducks being bad, I would have laughed at you. I'm not laughing now. This is awful. Art, story, everything. 1/10

Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special-This is likely my favorite issue of the year. Beautifully written and beautifully drawn. Brett Booth has really come into his own. I remember his Lee-derivative stuff from Backlash back in the day and this is completely different. The last page is one of the most beautifully sad things I've ever seen in a comic. Add that to the mad genius of Hal trying to explain that Santa doesn't exist and this is pure entertainment. 10/10

GL Corps #55-the shine is coming off this Weaponer arc. I need Sinestro to show up quick. 7/10

GL #60-Parallax infecting Flash, Hal don't like that. The story for this one was kind of meh but the art, as always, briliant. 8/10

GL #61-Another candidate for issue of the year for me. Hal doesn't even appear, except the cover, but Atrocitus versus the Spectre was brilliant. The Butcher appears in an rage and revenge driven issue. Atrocitus is becoming one of my favorite Lanterns. 10/10

GL Emerald Warriors #5-I'm kind of torn. I know they're trying to keep the mystery but the less I know about the villain as things move oon, the less I care about their mission. Still liking this though. I just wish they'd get on with it. 7/10

Brightest Day #15-Liked it enough but it carried no weight given that you know it's fake from the get-go. So, when did Starman become purple? I thought he was a white dude with brown hair and a beard and here he is, purple. I don't get it? 7/10

Brightest Day #16-I care about Aquaman. Congratulations. I also care about Blaqualad. Double congrats. 8/10

Comics: 17

Batman #706: An alright issue. Art was a step down from last issue, but the story was better. Average at best I'd say.

Streets of Gotham #19: Fun issue, gibing a new slant on the Joker's first meeting with a mobster back when he first started. Don't know how they will wrap this House of Hush story up in two issues, but it should be interesting.

Brightest Day #18: Almost all hawks issue. Was good for a mostly Hawks issue. I've posted what happens in the BD thread, so all I say here is, well that was interesting. I'm really liking Deathstorm, just for the simple fact that I am imagining him having the voice of Michaelangelo from the original TMNT cartoon.

Brave and Bold #33: The JMS girls night out issue. I saw the end coming (Mostly because someone said "That ending...") still it was enjoyable. Art wasn't to my taste, but still good.

Comics: 8

Alien VS Predator Volume 1 Omnibus. Tiny Titans #35, Brightest Day #17, Shazam: Monster Society of Evil TPB. Red Robin #19, Titans #31, Batman #706, Streets of Gotham #19, Brightest Day #18, Brave and Bold #33.

REBELS vol 3 The Son and the Stars-Love it still. Fantastic space opera. Vril Dox is edging closer and closer to being my favorite DC character...again! I loved him in the nineties and I love him now. Best Blackest Night tie-ins I've read to date as well. 9/10

Vampirella Masters Series Vol. 2 Warren Ellis-Awful. Yuck. Stay away. 2/10

Irredeemable Vol. 5-I was getting a little bored with this series with the last trade but this one is phenomenal. I could easily read this monthly. This has the greatest cliffhangers leading to a mind-blowing cliffhanger. One of the best superhero stories I have ever read. 10/10

Incorruptible Vol. 3-Excellent. Max Damage is one of my new favorite characters as well. His reluctant redemption is brilliance. Mark Waid is the fucking man. The art didn't bother me so much in this volume. 9/10

Trades: 4

Editing new comics into previous post.

Batman Beyond #1: That was crap. Piss poor writing, and awful art, I could not wait to end this piece of shit.

Detective Comics #871: First issue by Snyder, and his new art team. It was alright, Jock's art took some time to get used to, and the back up was interesting.

Detective Comics #892: Holy shit. This was awesome. The main feature was dark and brooding, and the back up, it was like a deleted scene of the main feature. Both had awesome cliffhangers. Already Jock's art has improved. The back up was awesome, Snyder has created a new villain from an old character in James Gordon (Jim's son who disappeared a while ago) and he seems so creepy, yet so awesome.

Detective Comics #893: End of the first arc for the main feature. The first half the book dealt with the last issues cliffhanger, and was great. However, the way it is resolved is a bit, odd. Not great.

Dick takes a leap of faith, and it works out for him. However when he wakes up, he finds that he has no legs. Then he wakes up from that dream.

The story deals with an arms dealer selling villains old weapons and items. One of the weapons sold, is the crowbar that originally killed Jason Todd.

Comics: 12

Alien VS Predator Volume 1 Omnibus. Tiny Titans #35, Brightest Day #17, Shazam: Monster Society of Evil TPB. Red Robin #19, Titans #31, Batman #706, Streets of Gotham #19, Brightest Day #18, Brave and Bold #33. Batman Beyond #1. Detective Comics #891, Detective Comics #892, Detective Comics #893.

Edited by SuaveStar

Action Comics #897: As awesome as the preview.

Shazam 1 shot: Fucking awful. Billy and Mary are just annoying, and Freddy comes across as a tool. Did not enjoy in the slightest.

Comics: 14

Alien VS Predator Volume 1 Omnibus. Tiny Titans #35, Brightest Day #17, Shazam: Monster Society of Evil TPB. Red Robin #19, Titans #31, Batman #706, Streets of Gotham #19, Brightest Day #18, Brave and Bold #33. Batman Beyond #1. Detective Comics #891, Detective Comics #892, Detective Comics #893. Action Comics #897, Shazam 1 shot.

Justice Society of America #47

I felt like picking up a JSA book for the heck of it. Just pulled it off the shelf and bought it. I am not disappointed! Even though I was jumping into the middle of an arc I was able to pick up most of what was going on. The art was cool and the characters were great. The next issue should be exciting.

Teen Titans #91

This is the conclusion to the climactic battle that started last issue. The confrontation cleans up nicely while setting up the next leg of the plot, there are lots of nice character moments (including teenage love drama! :cry:), and to me the art is solid throughout. The only thing that bothered me was that the crossover cliffhanger felt forced.

Superman/Batman #79/#80

This story takes place in the future where Superman and Batman have essentially evolved into living plot devices that can do anything, a time-traveling villain comes to steal certain items so he can take over the past. I don't know what to think when he jumped back in time, It really felt and looked like I was reading a pre-crisis book. Oh, and massive amounts of techno-babble.

(Superman:)

It's all down to quantum fluctuations and the uncertainty principle. All around us, all the time, virtual particles are spontaneously generated outside the vacuum--always in particle and anti-particle pairs that destroy each other immediately. With my heat vision, I should be able to excite the vacuum just inside the omega barrier, to accelerate the process. Normally, the particles and anti-particles collide and destroy each other almost as soon as they appear--but do to the uncertainty principle, the exact locations of the virtual particles is indeterminate.

(Batman:)

And in the case of a black hole, sometimes one half of a virtual pair can appear inside the event horizon and the other outside...

(Robin:)

Of course! If Superman is able to generate enough of these virtual pairs then he's bound to cause some of the particles to appear on the other side of the omega barrier. Then it's just a matter of time.

All that to say that, "Yes, Superman can use his heat vision to bust out of the impenetrable omega barrier."

Even though we have all these cool January covers, anyone who picks this up seeing the "modern" Batman and Superman on the front are going to be WTFing at why this seems to be a silver-age book.

Is Superman/Batman "selective" canon? Because some of these stories are really out there and don't always make sense in continuity.

Detective Comics #873

Richard has been drugged by the bad guys and manages to escape, he trails the bad guy and they end up in a final confrontation. Oh, and the old guy turns into a meta-human. Did we really need that? I mean, it all ended well and was explained, I had hoped they wouldn't've needed to resort to using a meta-human villain as the climax to the issue.

A thing I really like about this is that the issue closed up the three-part story up very nicely. If I wanted to , I could drop the book without worrying that I might be missing something later on down the road. It's very refreshing to read a story with a set beginning, middle, and end.

Red Robin #18/#19

The first part is full of intrigue and fun, but in the second issue...

Tim Drake ends up in The Matrix for Supervillains basically, where anyone and everyone have the power to reshape world as they see fit. As you can imagine all sorts of amazing shenanigans ensue. And the result is probably one of my favorite splashes ever! (When the virtual heroes burst out of the statue. I love all the costumes the artist (I assume) came up with.) And at the end of the issue the Teen Titans crossover gets set up. I'm so thrilled.

:rolleyes:

Batgirl #16

This whole series is so full of spunk, wit, charm, and humor that makes it all very enjoyable to read. Fun, fun, fun all the way through. Though the reveal at the end looked a bit silly.

Batman: Streets of Gotham #19

This issue is very dark. One thing I think that gets overlooked with the Joker is his ability to torture and torment people. There is some hardcore stuff in this book! And while I like Dustin Nguyen's art, I don't think his Joker stood out enough, though that may have been the colorist more than the former. Anyways, after all the torture and some entertaining Hush moments we arrive just in time to see Bruce and Selina randomly making out while being stalked by Ragman, I think. (Here's another art thing that bugged me, Nguyen (deliberately?) doesn't show Batman's emblem, and the writing isn't clear enough to tell if it's Bruce or Dick, until two pages later when we actually get to see that it is Bruce.)

Action Comics #896

Since I never read Blackest Night, I'm assuming that a lot of the value in this run is going over my head. Though I am entertained by the story, I find the focus on the Black Lantern orbs to be distracting at times. (Even though they are the drive of Lex Luthor, this story could've been easily told with him after some other great power.) I don't know why, but this Vandal Savage stuff, especially last issue, really bored me. The Jimmy Olsen backup was fun though, and I am definitely picking up the full comic in March.

Secret Six #29

Conclusion to the story started in Action. I did get more involved in the characters, but not enough to warrant me checking out any other issues.

Action Comics #897

Joker has a black energy ball that's turning him darn near philosophical. And after a heady debate with Lex, stuff goes down, and it ends with (orange lanterns?) showing up.

*bigsarcasticwhoop* (I'm just finishing this thing to see how it ends.)

Superman #707

Superman is a depressed douche, his wife is wearing an outfit that would make Lara Croft blush, and the art is terrible.

Superboy #3

My personal "flashback" is when a story starts off with something to hook you, and then rewinds a few days/hours. I hate how often it's done, once in a while it'll be okay. But the frequency that this kind of storytelling occurs really bothers me. The story however is nice. Conner is a cool and the reveals are great. The art is a bit loose, but it doesn't necessarily bug me. What does bug me is Conner's secret identity. You're not fooling anyone with the reading glasses and plaid. And if that shirt ever gets removed somehow, you are in deep crap. Conner really needs a revision on his secret identity. (Oh, and why is Krypto wearing his freaking cape and collar in the middle of the house? Aren't you worried about visiting neighbors or anything?)

Supergirl #60

Bernard Chang's artwork bugs me. I'm not sure if it's how it seems to be stuck indecisive on whether it wants to look cartoony or realistic, however, I do like his Kara and Lois, good stuff. And the cliffhanger, dear lord, the cliffhanger. That's my cliffhanger of the month right there gents, freaking cool.

Trades:

HC:

Comics: 15

GN:

Omnibus:

Batman: The Return - This was an okay set-up issue for the next chapter of Morrison's Batman opus. I will say that, particularly in the Bat-Cave scene, there were points where Batman's voice slipped from Batman's to Morrison's. I'm not a fan of David Finch's artwork, but I didn't mind it here.

Batman, Inc. #1-2 - These didn't blow me away like the first arc of Batman and Robin, but I thought they were very good Morrison Batman comics. Lord Death Man has the potential to be a really cool villain and I hope Morrison uses him again. Yanick Paquette is a great artist and kicks the quality of the title's debut up a few notches.

Batwoman #0 - I haven't read Batwoman: Elegy yet, but this did a pretty good job of bringing the reader up to speed. As its purpose is to serve as a recap, I'm not going to judge Williams and Blackman's writing skills on it. Williams' art was gorgeous as always; he's probably the best artist in comics right now. This was the first story I've read with Amy Reeder Hadley's art and I quite liked it. I don't think I'll mind the art alternating from arc to arc.

Mage: The Hero Discovered #1 - The beginning of a modern retelling of the Arthurian legend and one of Matt Wagner's earliest comic works. The word that best describes it is rough. Storywise, it's a mix of clunky exposition and long fight scenes. Artistically, it's not bad, but it's not at the level that Wagner has reached today. I do see a lot of potential in the story and will pick up the hardcover that came out a few months ago sometime.

The Punisher #1-9 and Annual #1 - People who complained about Franken-Castle must not have been reading Remender's Punisher run. Within a few issues, as Frank rages his war against Norman Osborn's Dark Reign, and later The Hood, he dons super-hero and villain equipment taken from a criminal hideout. Remender realizes that The Punisher in the core Marvel Universe is ridiculous and he embraces it. But be assured, The Punisher still brutally takes out the criminal element with his guns and grenades in his. The book starts off on a high note, with Jerome Opena; his dark and gritty art balancing out the more ridiculous aspects. The quality drops a few notches when Tan Eng Huat comes onboard for the second arc. He isn't a bad artist, but his work doesn't match the quality or strength of Opena's. Overall, I like Remender's Punisher, which indicates to me that I'll love Franken-Castle when he cranks it up to 11.

The Sixth Gun #1-4 - A supernatural western written by Cullen Bunn, with art by Brian Hurtt. The plot centers on six guns that each have a supernatural power, with the sixth unaccounted for and pursued by the villains and anti-hero of the piece. While the premise is interesting, Bunn falls back on standard western cliches and tropes. He does a good job keeping the plot going forward from issue to issue, but I can't say I care about the characters. On the flip side, Hurtt's art is excellent. He provides pencils, inks, and colors (and lettering), allowing him to put his full artistic vision on the page. Hurtt's style leans toward cartoony, which you wouldn't immediately expect for a supernatural western, and it perfectly suits the story; his facial expressions sell the emotions of the characters when the story needs it. This isn't a terrible series by any means, but it doesn't live up to the high praise I've heard across the 'net.

Total

Comic Books: 19

TPBs:

HCs:

Graphic Novels:

Manga:

Batman: The Return, Batman, Inc. #1-2, Batwoman #0, Mage: The Hero Discovered #1, The Punisher #1-9 and Annual #1, The Sixth Gun #1-4

Just saw your post Shaun, so I'm going to answer some points you bring up:

Detective Comics #873

Richard has been drugged by the bad guys and manages to escape, he trails the bad guy and they end up in a final confrontation. Oh, and the old guy turns into a meta-human. Did we really need that? I mean, it all ended well and was explained, I had hoped they wouldn't've needed to resort to using a meta-human villain as the climax to the issue.

A thing I really like about this is that the issue closed up the three-part story up very nicely. If I wanted to , I could drop the book without worrying that I might be missing something later on down the road. It's very refreshing to read a story with a set beginning, middle, and end.

The bad guy uses the man-bat serum. So it keeps with his collector/seller gimmick, and he is not a meta human, he just lucks out and finds that.

What did you think of the scene:

Where Dick wakes up to find his legs ripped off.

Batman: Streets of Gotham #19

This issue is very dark. One thing I think that gets overlooked with the Joker is his ability to torture and torment people. There is some hardcore stuff in this book! And while I like Dustin Nguyen's art, I don't think his Joker stood out enough, though that may have been the colorist more than the former. Anyways, after all the torture and some entertaining Hush moments we arrive just in time to see Bruce and Selina randomly making out while being stalked by Ragman, I think. (Here's another art thing that bugged me, Nguyen (deliberately?) doesn't show Batman's emblem, and the writing isn't clear enough to tell if it's Bruce or Dick, until two pages later when we actually get to see that it is Bruce.)

That's a new villain created by Dini for the story called Bed-Bug. Basically, he's quirky for the sake of being quirky, and his power is making people his sleepwalking slaves. Also, the Joker part of the story is from when the Joker started, so a justification could be, that the Joker wasn't as recognisable as he is now.

Action Comics #896

Since I never read Blackest Night, I'm assuming that a lot of the value in this run is going over my head. Though I am entertained by the story, I find the focus on the Black Lantern orbs to be distracting at times. (Even though they are the drive of Lex Luthor, this story could've been easily told with him after some other great power.) I don't know why, but this Vandal Savage stuff, especially last issue, really bored me. The Jimmy Olsen backup was fun though, and I am definitely picking up the full comic in March.

All you really need to know, is that Lex got the power of the Orange Lantern, and wants more of the power he had. The Jimmy Olsen story was/is a lot of fun. The story of Lex looking for the Black Lantern energy is entertaining, partly because it's something different, and each issue almost has a running thread, but to an extent can stand on their own as fun and entertaining.

Action #897: That's Larfleeze, the only Orange Lantern. Who had to split power with Luthor during BN, and hates Luthor because he had to share.

The story goes through to Action #900.

Vertigo Resurrected: The Extremist-I'm not sld completely on this. It's dark and contains a hidden world within our own, which I like. It delves into the world of a hitman assassin tied to sexual depravity. Which I also like. But it also tends to be a bit boring which I find weird. Needs more story and to be longer, or less and shorter. 6/10

Essential Godzilla-Late 70s Marvel fun. I forgot Jimmy Woo was in this until I reread it. I want more Dr. Demonicus. The art is terrible though...7/10

Weird Business-At times, one of the greatest collections of stories ever published. At others, a little plodding and uneven. Still a brilliant book and a massive achievement. 9/10

Trades: 5

Omnibuses: 2

Justice League: Generation Lost #19: Alright, but nothing special. Remember when comic deaths meant something?

Secret Six #30: A real mixed bag. The parts with just the SS or the story going on itself, enjoyable. The parts with the Doom Patrol and the fight? Crap. I had to look at a page twice to notice that Giant Girl (The tall woman from the doom patrol) had her leg ripped off. The art was alright, apart from that one page, so an average issue is rounding out.

Red Robin #20: Another first issue in a two part crossover. This was slightly weak compared to the last issue, with a lot of set up, that will probably be paid off in Teen Titans. I don't give a shit about Catman, outside of Secret Six. There, I said it. He's just not been made that interesting to me.

Time Masters: Vanishing Point #6: This explain some little things, and didn't explain others. Art was alright, but christ was this wordy. It felt like he had so much to explain, that he just rammed as much as he could in, and then the set up for Flashpoint. Too much, is my final response.

Flash #9: This was alright. Fast, and short. Art was nice, it was a set up for the next issue. But I'm intrigued at what is going on here.

Batman and Robin #20: Was a good issue, but at the same time, it wasn't that great. I'll give it another issue, but this just isn't that great, in neither writing, or art.

Titans #32: Creative team of Eric Wallace and Fabrizio Fiorentino just continuing their story from FCA: Ink with the tattooed man. That story was slightly dull, with bad art, which is a shame, as the main selling point of this series for me was Fabrizio's art. Didn't really care about this issue. Brightest Day is wrapping up soon, and so this series seems like it it trying hard to get all it's pieces in place at the last minute. The fill in art by Phillip Tan on the Captain Marvel VS Osiris pages were fucking awful. I've never seen such bad art in a comic in a while. Awful, and the end of the issue. Just bad. Osiris has completed his mission from the White Lantern, which I mentioned in the BD thread, and it is stupid and pointless. Waste of time issue.

Batman: Dark Knight #1: Crap. Story was boring, and a waste of time, and the art, just wasn't for me.

Comics: 22

Alien VS Predator Volume 1 Omnibus. Tiny Titans #35, Brightest Day #17, Shazam: Monster Society of Evil TPB. Red Robin #19, Titans #31, Batman #706, Streets of Gotham #19, Brightest Day #18, Brave and Bold #33. Batman Beyond #1. Detective Comics #891, Detective Comics #892, Detective Comics #893. Action Comics #897, Shazam 1 shot. JL: Generation Lost 19, Secret Six #30, Red Robin #20, TMVP #6. Flash #9, Batman and Robin #20, Titans #32. Batman: Dark Knight #1

Edited by SuaveStar

I just got done finishing the entire Thor Omnibus from J. Michael Straczynski, I read about a chapter (issue) a night.

It was the first Thor I've ever read (outside of Millar's Ultimates) and I have to say, I think it's incredibly well written. There's a lot of moving pieces and it balances the humor, the regality, and the mythology quite well. I love that there's very little cross-over with the rest of the Universe it helps build up a stand-alone epic much easier. I thought the art was appropriately spectacular throughout the book, the full page splashes were used sparingly but super effectively. And I really enjoyed all the characters.

I really liked it. BUT...where the fuck is the ending? I mean, I understand that it's a comic book that will be continuous, but a lot of writers will tie up some of the major plot threads of their arc (see DD from Miller, from Bendis, Mark Millar's run on Ultimates, Wolverine, and Spidey, and I'm sure there are numerous other examples). That doesn't happen here, it just kind of trickles off in the middle of the story. In fact, I'd say it left right at the climax. That really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I want to see more, but the writers change, and I have no idea who Kieron Gillen is and how his run was. Anyways, anybody got any comments?

I really liked it. BUT...where the fuck is the ending? I mean, I understand that it's a comic book that will be continuous, but a lot of writers will tie up some of the major plot threads of their arc (see DD from Miller, from Bendis, Mark Millar's run on Ultimates, Wolverine, and Spidey, and I'm sure there are numerous other examples). That doesn't happen here, it just kind of trickles off in the middle of the story. In fact, I'd say it left right at the climax. That really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Siege happened.

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 434

Green Lantern (1960) #136

Green Lantern (2005) #60

Star Wars (1977) #43

Star Wars: Knight Errant #4

Uncanny X-Men #141

Uncanny X-Men #530

Daken: Dark Wolverine #5

I don't get Daken. He has daddy issues and wants to control the criminal underworld, is that it? And now he wears a crappy costume? Okay.

Anyway, this issue wasn't bad, but I had no clue what was going on.

Nemesis #1-4

Schlock.

Comic books: 11

Trade paperbacks: 3

Graphic novels: 0

I’m always reading comics, but I never post about them. I should change that:

Set to Sea. Man, this is a beautiful book. It’s the story of a poor, lumbering poet who finds himself shanghaied onto a ship set for sail to Hong Kong. Initially alone and miserable, he slowly grows to love sailing and uses it to rekindle his interest in poetry.

I’ve only seen the one panel per page graphic novel done once before, but it was handled a lot better in this one. It’s just really well paced, and it helps that the artwork is so good. I’d love to read whatever Drew Weing does next.

Scenes from an Impending Marriage. It’s a short memoir from Adrian Tomine about the weeks leading up to his wedding. Another really fun, brisk read. The only other work I’ve read from Tomine was Shortcomings, so it’s nice to go into something a little more upbeat. Did I mention how much I like his artwork?

X’ed Out. This is the first book I’ve read from Charles Burns, and I enjoyed it enough that I picked up Black Hole and Skin Deep shortly after. It’s kind of hard to layout the story without spoiling things, but basically it’s about a young man who’s is constantly slipping into a nightmarish dream world that’s shaped by all the strange things he’s experienced in the real world. I love all the Tintin references and again; huge fan of Burns’ artwork.