Episode 96

RSS

An archaeologist by the name of Carter Hall claims he and Shayera are the resurrected souls of two Thanagarian lovers ("Shadow of the Hawk"). Green Lantern, Supergirl, and an exceedingly whiny Stargirl are transported to the center of the Earth to fend off the evil Demos and his two new allies: Metallo and Silver Banshee ("Chaos at the Earth's Core"). Grodd seeks the key to immortality inside the corpse of a Viking ("To Another Shore"). Fed up with The Flash ruining their schemes, Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Captain Boomerang, and Trickster plan one final attack to bring the speedster down ("Flash and Substance"). And as Grodd's ultimate plan comes to a head, Deadman seeks revenge on the one who seemingly killed his master ("Dead Reckoning"). [ 1:56:07 || 52.3 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_096.mp3

Ooooh! Depending on which actor they used for Scarecrow if the episode also had Question in it we could have scenes with Jeffrey Combs talking to himself. And I have no doubt he could pull it off.

I'm not 100% sure on my Hawkpeople comics mythology, but I think Shayera and Carter are always destined to meet, fall in love, die, repeat. Well, if similar is true in DCAU then the universe has to make sure they meet, so if Shayera was going to be on Earth and exiled then Carter had to be born there (that or meet her before she left Thanagar).

Guest TFG1Mike

Ya know seeing as Epilogue was at the tail end of the season before this... I truly thought that when this season started we would have seen Waller as the JL liaison not Faraday. But he works. Great episode guys... I can't believe WFP is almost over.

I thought of something that looked very similar in the DCAU Batman with the gun in Dead Reckoning and Batman with the gun in Rebirth from Batman Beyond. YES I know it was two very different circumstances but damn they look so similar

BatmanUsesGunDamnDeadman.jpg

BBGun.jpg

Guest TFG1Mike

Also in the flashback scene in Ancient History if you look close enough you can see the love scene between Chay-Ara and Bashari is flopped animation from Wild Cards when John and Shayera kissed at the end. Bruce Timm even says that's what they did on the special feature justice League Chronicles on the same disc. Although Timm says it wasn't intentional that they did it that way. It just came out that way.

Guest TFG1Mike

I can understand that point, but I've always seen all 5 seasons as Justice League. Yes I know they changed the format of the show and expanded the league. But lets be honest Justice League Unlimited isn't a totally different show with different cast. It's just more seasons of the original cartoon..... A name change, ntro theme change, and format change are the only big differences. It's still DCAU superhero awesomeness.

I'd say War World and Chaos At The Earth's Core are two of worst episodes of the entire 5 seasons, but War World wins in the end For worst episode.

I can understand that point, but I've always seen all 5 seasons as Justice League. Yes I know they changed the format of the show and expanded the league. But lets be honest Justice League Unlimited isn't a totally different show with different cast. It's just more seasons of the original cartoon..... A name change, ntro theme change, and format change are the only big differences. It's still DCAU superhero awesomeness.

I'd say War World and Chaos At The Earth's Core are two of worst episodes of the entire 5 seasons, but War World wins in the end For worst episode.

I actually agree. The fact that JLU's worst episode is still head and shoulders over The Terrible Trio or even War World speaks to how great the series is.

Going back to Chaos at the Earth's Core, though--one reason James didn't mention why the episode stunk is that the voice acting for the Warlord and Demos both stunk: The guy who voiced Warlord delivered his dialogue rather flatly, while Demos' voice was a bad imitation of Christopher Lee's.

James made a comment about what Carter Hall claimed having been proven true. The facts of the Thanagarians in Egypt wasn't really contested. Were you claiming that his claims of reincarnation were proven true? I never really saw that as established. I thought they were always leaving it up in the air whether he and Shayera were really reincarnated, or whether her explanation of the Absorbacron was the correct one.

Mike, about Batman's costume change at the end of "Shadow Of The Hawk" - Batman having a costume in the Javelin could be supported by going back to "The Terror Beyond". At one point, Superman's costume is torn. While he, WW, and Hawkgirl are traveling in the Javelin, we see him pulling on a spare costume tunic, so presumably Superman at least kept a spare in the Javelin. If Superman is that prepared, well...

"To Another Shore" did call back to "Hawk & Dove", when J'onn was talking Diana through some of her frustration with humanity. Now, she's taking on the other role in that dynamic - after all, they're the two founders who had had the least experience with the outside world (Even at the beginning of JL, Hawkgirl had already been on Earth for several years, given that she had been on Earth for 5 years as of "Starcrossed".)

Mike missed a great chance, though. Prince Jon is invulnerable to metal, wood, water, and fire. If he wanted to get to Valhalla, all he needed to do was get in a fight with someone who would HIT HIM WITH A ROCK! All he needs to do is piss off someone with a catapult (or a sling).

It should be mentioned that among the other Flash moments in "Flash & Substance" was the only DCAU use of the costume ring. I love that after Flash uses it, Batman's taking a close look. You know he's trying to figure out how he can use this to fit more on his utility belt.

Speaking of the Flash live-action show, Linda Park actually had a blink and you miss it appearance in the pilot. I have to say, every time I watch "Flash & Substance", I feel for her. Towards the end, she's thrown over the Flash's shoulder while he's fighting the Rogues at superspeed. You know that as soon as he put her down, she went and threw up. A lot.

Chris

Stargirl wouldn't have been crushed by Metallo, the Cosmic staff isn't her only power source. She was given that some time into her hero career, back before that she was the Star Spangled Kid and got enhanced physical abilities from her Cosmic Converter belt which she continues to wear.

All the offensive powers she uses these days come from the staff so that's why she said that, but that doesn't mean the belt does nothing. As Knightwing says, she's wearing the thing, so I think my point stands regardless of whether they had time to explain it in the show. Even though they never mention the belt I think it's allowable as an excuse here.

I loved this podcast!

James, get some rest, and Mike congrats on moving in with you fiance :)

About the Carter Hall episode: I'm surprised no one mentioned how gorgeous the spaceship was. It would have made a beautiful jewelry piece. My favorite part was John Stewart gasping "Judas Priest!" Who says that? And of course, Batman cockblocking to the max. Classy.

Flash & Substance is one of my favorite episodes ever. I lot of people have mentioned Orion is very similar to Batman, but I think this episode clearly makes Batman seem more human and almost kind of sweet. Also, did anyone notice that Linda Park is the only girl that Flash doesn't throw himself at? Ironic, isn't it?

• 8 months later...

CORRECT JAMES! "Chaos at the Earth's Core" IS the worst episode of JLU! Give that man a cigar!

This might be the case. Though I think I have at least a softish spot for it because of some decent Stargirl action (granted, she is kind of a jerk here), and because I like GL's 'Morgan the Barbarian' line, even though it's not terribly funny or clever.