Random MMA thoughts

SuaveStar

Seems out of the blue, but I am a very casual fan at this point.

The thing that does intrigue me most is the constant "business as usual" talk. I totally buy that for the short term, but not entirely for the long term. Strikeforce has contract/relationships with people that I doubt wish to do business with Zuffa/UFC or more specifically Dana White. Dana can talk all he wants about not being involved, but I don't believe it. I can see Showtime ending the agreement with Strikeforce once the current deal runs out.

On the other hand, I like the idea of having one main MMA company. We pretty much do: speaking in public opinion, MMA and UFC are interchangeable. A main problem I have with boxing, is that I have no idea what the championships are. Last week, I see on the ESPN news crawler, that someone is defending their ACB/DEF/GHI/JKL title. What they hell does that mean?

I want to know that this guy is the best at his weight class and is the champion. I don't want a UFC welterweight champion and a Strikeforce one too. It is kinda like calling the World Series champ and the minor league champs the same thing, even tho everyone one is better than the other.

At the end of the day, like I said, I see nothing changing overnight; but I really cannot see Strikeforce lasting past the current Showtime deal.

• 2 weeks later...

He fucking sucks, and would be destroyed by anyone who wasn't a total can. They talking about it on Observer Radio and I think they're right, the difference between Lashley and Lesnar is that Lesnar enjoys hitting people. They're both strong wrestlers, they both suffer when they're getting hit but Lashley has almost zero aggression. And less cardio if that video is anything to judge by.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Source

I think this story is getting a little out of hand. Not only did Brian Ebersole get a 70,000 bonus for defeating Dennis Hallman, but now I am hearing rumors that several people (UFC employees) could lose their job because of this. Since there was no strict dress code, I don't see any justification for firing people. And I know Dana White is Dana White, but some of the words that he used (horrified, disgusted, ect) are way over the top.

UFC and Fox Agree to Long-Term TV Deal with Up to Four Events Per Year on Broadcast TV

The UFC and Fox have reportedly reached a long-term TV deal that will see up to four UFC events air on the broadcast channel each year, while other UFC content like The Ultimate Fighter and UFC Fight Night events will shift from Spike TV and Versus to Fox’s FX and Fuel channels beginning in January.

According to Sports Business Journal, Fox with pay the UFC up to $90 million per year for the seven or eight year deal.

The deal could be made official as early as this week, while broadcast details will be finalized in the coming months.

Source

• 2 months later...

I will preface this by saying that I did not watch the show, but I know it was said this was a one match card. As such, I don't know if this was the best fight (2ish minutes on an hour show) to draw in new fans. No way you can predict these things, but I can imagine some casual fans not coming back after that.

Yeah, the general consensus seems to be that the hour was wasted on just that fight. Heck, there were about 5 fights on that card I'd have shown a potential fan before that one, Bendo vs Guida for starters, but also Yamamoto vs Uyenoyama as a masterclass in what a great ground fighter can do to a standup guy. That fight told so much more of what MMA is about. Leeroy vs Escuvedo was a great standup fight, demonstrating the skills of MMA on the feet. Swanson vs Lamas and Poirier vs Garza were good fights that ended in submissions. ANY on those would be better choices for first time fans than the actual main event. In fact the whole damn show apart from the actual main event was a good intro to MMA.

• 1 month later...

Looking at this strictly from a UFC position (as I care little about possible WWE returns), Lesnar retiring is a somewhat big hit.

Just looking at it from a business standpoint, Brock was a draw. He was a name that even the most casual of fans knew. Even after this loss, there were money fights left on the table. Lesnar/Mir III anyone? And I can only imagine what a Lesnar fight on Fox could generate ratings wise. I could have seen Lesnar in almost a Tito Ortiz role, of not being in title contention, but a name fighter for a card.

Let's face it, UFC has too many shows. Add in re-upping the Strikeforce deal with Showtime (to basically block anyone else from getting on Showtime), and you have a shit-ton of cards to fill out. Losing one of your most recognizable fighters is not a good thing.

Looking at this strictly from a UFC position (as I care little about possible WWE returns), Lesnar retiring is a somewhat big hit.

Just looking at it from a business standpoint, Brock was a draw. He was a name that even the most casual of fans knew. Even after this loss, there were money fights left on the table. Lesnar/Mir III anyone? And I can only imagine what a Lesnar fight on Fox could generate ratings wise. I could have seen Lesnar in almost a Tito Ortiz role, of not being in title contention, but a name fighter for a card.

Let's face it, UFC has too many shows. Add in re-upping the Strikeforce deal with Showtime (to basically block anyone else from getting on Showtime), and you have a shit-ton of cards to fill out. Losing one of your most recognizable fighters is not a good thing.

Yeah, but after seeing that fight. He must have retired for the good of his health. The way he crumbled after that kick to the kidneys looked like it half killed him.

Don't misunderstand, I have zero problems with Brock retiring. I think his health problems in recent years have had taken a toll on him, body and mind. Specially in MMA, if you are not 100% focused you are putting yourself in a very bad situation. So better that he retires than get hurt trying.

I'm just saying that it is a somewhat big loss for the UFC, business wise.

Cyborg Santos tested positive for steroids.

Link

Man, what a shocking turn of events. <_<

In all seriousness though, as an amateur body builder, I can tell you that women do not naturally look like that.

I've always said she was either taking steroids or is very good at tucking it back.

• 7 months later...

UFC 151 has been canceled. The next event will be 152 and 151 will simply not exist.

Cliff notes version:

Dan Henderson was scheduled to fight Jon Jones.

Henderson partially tears his MCL and pulls out.

UFC finds a replacement in Chael Sonnen.

Jones says no.

UFC 151 canceled.

I don't know how I feel about this. I get that this was your main event (and biggest fight on the card), but I do not know why you wouldn't still put on the show. All the fighters are left without their paychecks and the fans are left without a show. One fight can make a show, but the show is not one fight. With MMA, a card with a bunch of no name scrubs can be an awesome show. And conversely, a card with big name fighters can be an absolute bomb (this I have witnessed). So, put on the show, take a potential loss on the event, and move forward.

On the other hand, you would like your Champion to be a fighting Champion. Jones would have been fighting an 'out of shape' Sonnen from everything I have read. Also, according to Dana White, this is the first time a Champion has refused a fight on short notice.

On the third hand, this is a bit like a WWE MITB cash in. Jones was focused on fighting Henderson. He was not studying Sonnen and working a game plan for him. All it takes is one right hand and Jones is a former Champion. So I can understand not wanting to fight on short notice.

So, I have no idea how to feel about this.

Link

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Absolutely nasty ending to UFC 168. Anderson Silva snapped his leg while throwing a low kick. I'm talking Sid levels of nasty.

What is truly sad is this may be the last time we see Silva in the Octagon. You never want to see a guy end his career on an injury. A loss? It happens to the best of them. But this isn't the way you want to see The GOAT end his career.

Put a sour ending on a really enjoyable card too.