WiiU

Missy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So I went to a game convention here in Brazil today, and there was a big Nintendo booth with multiple Wii U games. Got to play that Project 101 game, Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed 3, Zombi U and New Super Mario Bros U. I gotta tell you, if all games are like that... then I'm pretty much buying the system. I liked everything about it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I'm in Australia. Picked up my Wii U on November 30th and have been playing it since. Got the deluxe edition with Nintendoland which has taken up a bit of my time. Plus ZombiU. But I've only been getting to that durin the day. It is some intense gaming.

The game I've been playing most though would have to be Sonic Racing Transformed. Best thing is playing two player with my girlfriend. She gets my tv screen and I play along on my gamepad. No lag at all, and just as fun.

• 2 months later...

Third party developers seem to be wary of the WiiU. The Managing Director of Sidhe Studios said this:

At DICE, nobody has been talking about the new Wii U projects they have started, only the Wii U projects that have just been cancelled.

Platform is in serious trouble.

Pubs and devs never recoiled from PS3 like they seem to be with Wii U (though this is anecdotal). There was always the confidence that the numbers would get there over time with PS3. I'm not sensing that with Wii U.

I had a data point yesterday at lunch with a high budget Wii U game that was hoping to sell "millions" over time. It only managed "tens of thousands".

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512515

• 2 months later...

To be slightly more specific, Nintendo is appearing at E3 and will be making announcements, just not with a major press conference. They're choosing instead to unveil new things through social media and the like, as they've done for the past year or so. They're apparently shifting their focus to directly informing gamers about their games rather than showing the media epic presentations (which is something I like).

Still, though, it is a pretty big deal. That entire briefing basically said, "we did great with the 3DS, but we pretty much screwed everything up with the Wii U. We've got new stuff coming and we're entirely refocusing our marketing, so stay with us."

Social media is mandatory now, but you also need to get the word out to people who aren't actively following you.

I'm very glad that they seem to get that they could have done a hell of a lot better with the Wii U (not adequately getting the word out that it was a new console and not just a peripheral and not having a Wii Sports-type game for the new system were both terrible flubs they should have seen coming), and hopefully the next steps will be successful. It's great that they're doing so well with handheld, but now that even my 65-year-old mother plays games on her smartphone, dedicated handheld consoles aren't going to keep them afloat for much longer.

The day Apple comes out with a proprietary controller peripheral for the iPhone/iPod, it's all over. I do think, though, that the 3DS will live long enough for Nintendo to make a course correction with their next handheld. I think standalone handhelds will survive, primarily because of kids and people who won't or can't get into the smartphone market. The percentage of people who have a phone that can play top-tier games is actually pretty low overall; a standalone handheld won't ever have that problem because they're (at this point) contract-free.

I like Nintendo, and I want to see them do well. However, the handheld market will be dead in a few years. Use of smartphones and tablets are growing exponentially. Hell, I have nieces and nephews not even school-age yet who have tablets. A device that does nothing but play games can't last forever.

However, I can see Nintendo building a hell of a tablet.

Calling it now.

This erratic desperate Nintendo we're seeing here, shifting focuses, struggling for software, admitting out loud that maybe they don't actually know what next gen gaming is supposed to be?

In a few years, Sony and Microsoft are going to go through the same thing.

The next generation is going to suck for everyone.

Couldn't agree more. The only difference being that gaming was only part of Sony and Microsoft's business. Nintendo doesn't have anything else to fall back on.

Sony could integrate gaming into its smart TVs tomorrow if it wanted to, and Microsoft would be able to integrate the XBox into its other products fairly easily.

Couldn't agree more. The only difference being that gaming was only part of Sony and Microsoft's business. Nintendo doesn't have anything else to fall back on.

Sony could integrate gaming into its smart TVs tomorrow if it wanted to, and Microsoft would be able to integrate the XBox into its other products fairly easily.

Nintendo might very well have to do a Sega: sell its intellectual property on other systems. This sucks because Nintendo consoles are generally brilliantly designed pieces of kit (the Virtual Boy never happened btw) and for the most part their games have echoed the design features of the time which made them so much more memorable/special:

• Mario 64 + N64 Analogue stick = 3D gameplay
  • WarioWare Touched + DS touchscreen = Versatile awesome
  • Wii Sports + Wii controller = Wilson Family Xmas 2005
  • Eyes + Virtual Boy = Nosebleeds

The Wii U just got a price cut from a major retailer in the UK, ASDA (Walmart's UK Brand) has cut the price of the WIi U basic bundle to £149, and the premium is now £199.

I for one am still not interested as there's just currently nothing on the console that grabs my interest in the way that Mario World, Mario 64, Zelda: Windwaker or Super Mario Galaxy did before.

Nintendo Land is still occasionally played but I foresee a layer of dust on my Wii U pad until the big titles come out.

I think the updated Virtual Console titles are a great idea but I already have these games on my 3DS! Give us some variety!

I think the updated Virtual Console titles are a great idea but I already have these games on my 3DS! Give us some variety!

That is one of Nintendo's biggest problems. They keep releasing the same old games so you have to buy it 3 times. That's why having games tied to your console instead of your account is stupid.

• 4 weeks later...