DC reboot

dc20willsave

Here's our new JLA, kids.

jl.jpg

""We looked at what was going on in the marketplace and felt we really want to inject new life in our characters and line," says Dan DiDio, who co-publishes DC with Lee. "This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

Fuck. This.

Oh, also, just to remind you, what's all currently at stake right now:

DiDio's remarks would seem to indicate that existing DC readers are going to see major changes in the status quo and continuities of their favorite characters and titles. Among the major events that have informed various characters' modern histories include the death of Superman; Clark Kent's marriage to Lois Lane; the death of the second Robin, Jason Todd; the activities of Damian Wayne, the son of Batman and Talia al Ghul; Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis and 52, the stories that defined the nature of the DC Multiverse itself; the crippling of Barbara Gordon, the original Batgirl; the defeat of Batman at the hands of Bane, resulting in the installation of the homicidal Jean-Paul Valley as Batman; the fall and redemption of Green Lantern Hal Jordan; The Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night and the rest of the Green Lantern "emotional spectrum" mythology; Final Crisis and the journey of Bruce Wayne across time; the emergence of Batwoman Kate Kane; and the consolidation and reconciliation of dozens of characters from the Golden Age of DC Comics and their descendants, as depicted in books like JSA, Justice Society of America and Starman.

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/05/31/dc-comics-comics-relaunch-digital/#ixzz1Ny2bQ6Lq

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's our new JLA, kids.

jl.jpg

""We looked at what was going on in the marketplace and felt we really want to inject new life in our characters and line," says Dan DiDio, who co-publishes DC with Lee. "This was a chance to start, not at the beginning, but at a point where our characters are younger and the stories are being told for today's audience."

Fuck. This.

Oh, also, just to remind you, what's all currently at stake right now:

DiDio's remarks would seem to indicate that existing DC readers are going to see major changes in the status quo and continuities of their favorite characters and titles. Among the major events that have informed various characters' modern histories include the death of Superman; Clark Kent's marriage to Lois Lane; the death of the second Robin, Jason Todd; the activities of Damian Wayne, the son of Batman and Talia al Ghul; Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis and 52, the stories that defined the nature of the DC Multiverse itself; the crippling of Barbara Gordon, the original Batgirl; the defeat of Batman at the hands of Bane, resulting in the installation of the homicidal Jean-Paul Valley as Batman; the fall and redemption of Green Lantern Hal Jordan; The Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night and the rest of the Green Lantern "emotional spectrum" mythology; Final Crisis and the journey of Bruce Wayne across time; the emergence of Batwoman Kate Kane; and the consolidation and reconciliation of dozens of characters from the Golden Age of DC Comics and their descendants, as depicted in books like JSA, Justice Society of America and Starman.

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/05/31/dc-comics-comics-relaunch-digital/#ixzz1Ny2bQ6Lq

Oh. Maybe I overreacted. So then they might only be removing EVERY MAJOR COMIC EVENT AT DC IN MY ENTIRE FUCKING LIFE!?

As one who has been a staunch and level-headed supporter of what I have always thought was the superior of the big two with the greatest stable of characters in comics period, I want to say: Fuck you, DC. Fuck you to everybody at that company who will allow this to happen in the face of some of the greatest moves the company has ever made. My initial dropping monthlies meant just that, monthlies. If the above is true, then I'm done with modern DC altogether. Finish publishing your Omnibus Kirby properties and I'll not let the door hit my ass on the way out.

I very highly doubt that Question would be big enough on their radar to restore Vic, honestly. And lesbian Jew!Question is more modern and hip. :P

She's not a Jew, she's a Lesbian Latina. She should go over to Marvel with that kind of alliteration.

You know, I wanna be pissed, but this little voice keeps saying: "If they undo 52, that means Vic Sage is alive again." Fuck it, I'm still mad

And Blue Beetle. But that's offset by Batman never having punched Guy Gardner. Two steps forward, two steps back (we come together...)

With 52 new first issues, I wonder if each one will be set on different Earths. That would leave the possibility of the long-running comics remaining untouched, while rebooting some characters in their underutilized multiverse.

With 52 new first issues, I wonder if each one will be set on different Earths. That would leave the possibility of the long-running comics remaining untouched, while rebooting some characters in their underutilized multiverse.

That would mean that every single DC book would be set in its own separate continuity. No way that's happening.

Included in the 52 series will be:

* A new title starring Superman written by Grant Morrison.

* Birds of Prey #1 - This new ongoing series will not feature the work of longtime "BoP" writer Gail Simone. In fact, many tried and true approaches to books will be getting a second look at DC in September.

* Teen Titans #1 - The new start for the teen team will be written by "Red Robin" scribe Fabian Nicieza.

* Justice Society of America #1 - Only one of a number of current titles that will welcome a creative team shift, the future of the original superhero team will apparently not involve current writer Marc Guggenheim.

* Wonder Woman #1 - Don't expect the recent changes from writer J. Michael Straczynski to stick when the Amazing Amazon sees another new #1 hit.

* Green Lantern #1 - Even with a new #1, Green Lantern remains in Johns' hands, and readers can expect the effects of major crossovers like "Blackest Night" to stay in place moving forward.

* Hawkman #1 - While fans have known a "Hawkman" series by James Robinson has been in the works since the writer mentioned it on a panel at New York Comic Con, Bleeding Cool's Rich Johnston has been reporting the rumor that the book will be drawn by "Batman & Robin" and "Outsiders" artist Philip Tan.

* Aquaman #1 - No surprises here. The already announced series featuring the sea king by Johns and Ivan Reis will be part of the relaunch wave.

Source

I fully approve of this reboot.

I do find it rather funny how people are judging this entire move based on very specific things that are not confirmed to actually be happening.

DC have confirmed all new #1's, which will just flood the market, nobody is going to drop $156 minimum on DC books, this isn't Pokemon, nobody wants to get them all. It is also sounding like, characters that people like, such as Damian Wayne, could be screwed over, as he makes Bruce look old, if he has a twelve year old son, who's been trained by an enemy, that Bruce didn't meet till he was Batman for several years.

From Tom Brevoort's Twitter:

You know what this means? There's no point buying any DC Comics until September, since none of them will "count" anymore. #moreroomforMarvel

I can't tell if he's trying to be funny or not.

I should say that I'm not invested in the DC Universe, so this reboot doesn't affect me as much as it does others. Having gone through something similar to this with "One More Day" though, I do sympathize with people where this is a punch in the gut.

A little relieved about GL. Looks like they're stripping the GL universe down to one book? I hope it's Mahnke. With Reis on Aquaman that makes it more likely. CRossing fingers.

Guess I will also find out about Twitter exposure as I've been tweeted by Brevoort and retweeted by Brian Keene.

Well, we're supposed to be less one Lantern soon, but that universe is way too big for one book. If Batman can have 27 titles, I don't think 2 or 3 is too much to ask for GL.

More points about the DCU reboot from USA Today

Highlights:

In the rollout of the revamped DC Universe, some titles will return, a lot of titles won't, and DC will have a wider range of books starting in September, DiDio says. In addition, three-quarters of the creative teams will be shuffled around — series that are successful and writer/artist combinations that work well together won't be tweaked too much, he says.

"We've got a new set of creators coming in with new voices in the DC Universe," DiDio says. "We really want to bring a new energy and excitement to our books."

--

The recent emphasis on diverse characters such as lesbian superheroine Batwoman, Hispanic hero Blue Beetle and African-American adventurer Cyborg (who will be a core member of Johns and Lee's new Justice League) also will continue.

"He's a character I really see as the modern-day, 21st-century superhero," Johns says of Cyborg. "He represents all of us in a lot of ways. If we have a cellphone and we're texting on it, we are a cyborg — that's what a cyborg is, using technology as an extension of ourselves."

--

In other news, I think I'm starting to figure out what's bugging me about this. It feels like DC is trying to go the Ultimates route with the reboot.