Ross Hughes Colors

RHughes

Wow, I haven't posted here in nearly three years. I guess that's long enough. What have I been up to you ask? (or maybe not...) Well, I'm currently a colorist for Hi-Fi Studios (when I'm not busy helping to put the Space Shuttle into space) and have been sinking my teeth into a plethora of new work. I am available to do commission work, so if you have something that needs to be professionally colored, or know anyone who does, let me know and we can work out the details. Here are some samples of my recent work. I'll try to do a better job of updating this thread as I go along.

JLGL_24_30_450_RH.jpg

JLGL_24_31_450_RH.jpg

JLGL_24_32_450_RH.jpg

JLGL_24_33_450_RH.jpg

ADVC_525_01_450_RH.jpg

ADVC_525_02_450_RH.jpg

ADVC_525_03_450_RH_v2.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Colored this little beauty for the back cover of the Sniper and Rook trade paperback coming out from Beta 3 Comics. I was originally just supposed to color Sniper and Rook and a bit of the background, but since Battle of the Planets was my favorite cartoon as a kid, I couldn't pass up doing the whole thing. :) Of course, I probably should have colored the background and stuff on a different layer, but I wasn't thinking that day so I colored the image as is, and then went back and removed all of the Gatchaman characters and drew in the missing background afterwards. *sigh*

C&C's always welcome!

Pencils by Jonathan Sukarangsan

Inks by Gary Mitchell

SnRGatchaman.jpg

SnRGatchaman_v2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like Disney put the kibosh on this project. This was to have been part of a Pirates of the Caribbean anthology to be released along with the latest film. As far as I know, we had it completed in time, so I'm not sure why it didn't come out. From what I could find on the internet about the book, Disney scrapped the project, and may have released a couple of the stories in different books. Oh well.

This was from the Young Jack Sparrow story.

Art by (I think!) Jean-Paul Orpinas

Colors by me for Hi-Fi Studios

Young_Jack_08_400_RH.jpg

Young_Jack_09_400_RH.jpg

Young_Jack_10_400_RH.jpg

Young_Jack_11_400_RH.jpg

The colors are solid, Ross. I'm always a fan of the brown and tan outfit, so that's a plus.

The art seems to be a mix of John Byrne (the ridges between his eyes, some of the chest work) and J. Scott Campbell (the crosshatching across the forehead, the shape of the mouth), and I'm not sure those styles blend to my liking. It's not bad art, but I do want to see how it flows from one panel to another.

The brown and tan is my favorite. It's what I grew up with when I was a kid, and the blue and yellow one always seems off to me because of it.

Cory always kind of reminds me of Rick Leonardi crossed with a little Eric Larson. I believe he makes his money as an inker predominately, but he's definitely got a killer style.

I've been looking to expand my artistic wings a bit and learn some new skills, so while my penciling isn't where I would like it to be yet, I thought I'd try my hand and inking. This is my first attempt. The speed lines were kicking my a$$ since I don't have a T-square yet and my straight edge apparently wasn't exactly straight. LOL

This was done digitally in Photoshop with nothing but the standard hard round brush. Anyone having any tips on a better brush set for inking though, please let me know as I'd like to experiment a lot more with this.

Pencils done by Eddy Barrows

The hi-res inks can be found at my Deviant Art page: http://thebdc.deviantart.com/art/Superboy-Inks-252954565?

Comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

SuperboyCoverInkswebsize.jpg

And here is a side by side for comparison.

SuperboyCoverInkssidebyside.jpg

• 4 weeks later...