Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

tglancy

So, I've been back for a few days now, and I noticed that there is not a lot, or any, talk about Marvel going on. So, since all I read at the moment is Marvel (aside from the odd DC book here and there at the book store) I thought I would start a thred to discuss what I am reading, and if anyone else is reading stuff from Marvel, they can contribute as well.

Should probably just start with the big story of the moment, Fear Itself. I know that the whole "big event book" has been done to death, but I have found myself enjoying this a lot more than I did Secret Invasion or Siege. I feel like things are actually happening in these books, as opposed to something happening at the end of the story. Also, I think that the use of tie ins has been more well done than in the past. I actually went back recently and re-read the Secret Invasion tie in issues for the New and Mighty Avengers, and really hated them. It felt like there was a real forced tone to the stories. Same with the Siege tie ins. I have actually enjoyed the Avengers tie ins this time around, as it allows the story to be told alongside the main book as opposed to jamming a story in the crossover for no reason. Journey into Mystery has been another great tie in book.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome back Tim!

Since I'll be mostly finished with DC in a few months, I might go back and give some of the old Daredevil and Moon Knight stuff a chance.

The new Moon Knight book has been great so far. The last series was awesome, but I really like the new one.

You should try the Marvel Digital Comic thing. I tried the trial that came with MVC3 and ended up signing up for a year. The only complaint I have is the speed at which they get newer stuff out, but that's really it. There's a ton of great old stuff up there.

Hi Tim! I don't think I was around when you were here, but glad to meet you!

Yeah, the last few times I've gone to my comic shop, Bruce the storeowner and I have been talking a lot, and he's noticed that I'm picking up exclusively Marvel. Mostly because what's the point of picking up DC between now and September?

I agree that Fear Itself does seem like a step above the normal event book that's been being put out recently. Things are definitely happening, and yet there's still enough left unsaid that the tie in books can tell the wider story, but not be strictly necessary to understand what's going on.

And speaking of the tie-ins, Journey into Mystery and Alpha Flight are kicking all the asses. Journey into Mystery has been a consistently awesome book, especially because it's focusing on kid!Loki trying to save the worlds, and dragging people like Volstagg and Hel in his wake. And Alpha Flight's just a consistently fun book (yes, I know it's only been one issue, shush) with a darker side that's started to come out at the end of last issue.

Of the minis that they're putting out right now, though, Red Skull Incarnate is gonna be the one to watch. Really good art (and the covers are amazing), and Pak looks to be telling a really brutal story.

Alpha Flight's first issue was great. I've never been a huge fan of the team, but I gave that a read at the store the other day and was floored by how good it was. I really enjoyed the reluctance on the part of Northstar. Don't know why, to be honest, but I really enjoyed that aspect of the book.

Right now I'm loving Journey Into Mystery and Uncanny X-Force. I'm really looking forward to Captain America & Bucky and Daredevil, the former for Chris Samnee's fantastic art and the latter because it's giving the "Scarlet Swashbuckler" of Daredevil's early years another shot.

A lot of the .1 issues are up on the Digital Comic side for Marvel. While I think this was mostly a failed idea, there were some good stories in books that I normal wouldn't read. I thought the Thor story and the Captain America story were pretty great, and the Deadpool story was pretty good too, which is surprising because, you know, Deadpool and all. My favorite though was the Hulk issue. It really helped explain Red Hulk and gave a good reason for him to act the way he does. That was the only one of these that I read and said "hey, I should give this book a try" which I believe was the point of these books.

The .1 issue isn't a good indicator of the series. Issues 1-4 are fantastic, 5-7 are really good. Issue 8 was still good; a step down, but clearly setting things up for the future. Issue 9 was awful. I haven't read the rest of the issues that are out yet, but overall I think it's a great book and recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

Cable is coming back.

A new Defenders book is coming out.

some stuff spinning out of Fear Itself.

New Incredible Hulk series.

Some other stuff. Nothing big and groundbreaking, but there didn't need to be. When you are already the #1 company, and you also have the #1 movie in the country for that weekend, you can kind of be smug and not show all your cards at the big show. They did enough to make a little noise but have enough left to also drop some more surprises on a slow week.

Basically, they are doing a thing called "Battle Scars" that is supposed to be like Dark Reign in that it shows the effects after fear itself, but it's not neccesarily a big event, I guess. Something called "The Fearless" that deals with the hammers. And something wacky involving some guy that "is hugely, hugely important." Taskmaster is on the cover of one of those books and it looks as though he is alongside Fury, Hawkeye and Cap

battlescars01_cvr_02.jpg

Is that gun, like, the Ultimate Nullifier or something? Because I don't care who is holding the gun, you've got four guys there who would have no qualms killing if it was necessary. I mean, if that's Osborne, he's about two seconds away from being very fully deaded.