Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

tglancy

I was actually discussing this with my brother a few days ago, and he winced at the idea of a Peter Parker who's a millennial. But the weird thing is, Nightwing's generally presumed to be no older that 25-26, putting him perennially younger than Spider-Man, which sounds weird.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/15/2020 at 12:43 AM, Donomark said:

I was actually discussing this with my brother a few days ago, and he winced at the idea of a Peter Parker who's a millennial. But the weird thing is, Nightwing's generally presumed to be no older that 25-26, putting him perennially younger than Spider-Man, which sounds weird.

Wow. That is odd.

7 hours ago, The Master said:

Magneto gets a pass because Marvel de-aged him to a  baby at some point. He became adult Magneto pretty quick thereafter, but that's how they can get around him being. Otherwise he's pushing 90.

Plus, for years, Magnetic Fields could do basically anything in the Marvel Universe. You name it, it does it.

On 3/17/2020 at 11:08 AM, The Master said:

Very true. Magnets solved everything in the beginning of the Silver Age.

And radiation. If that was real life I would have superpowers from all of the x-rays and CT scans I had from 1997 to 2002.

• 8 months later...

As much as I want to get into the House of X / Powers of X era of X-Men, I struggle reading Jonathan Hickman comics. It has nothing to do with the writer; rather, it's the presentation. Comic books -- superhero comic books, especially -- already have their own language. And, to his credit, Hickman attempts to expand that language in his series. And to their credit, Marvel has allowed it a few times over now. But I almost feel too old to learn a new way to read superhero books. So, admittedly, that's all on me.

Learning new iconography and reading data pages, it slows the experience down in a way that's akin to the back matter in Watchmen. You know you should read it for the complete world-building experience, but learning about magical flowers and mutant breeding programs is not my ideal X-Men reading experience.

I can understand that. I'm the kind of guy who will spend time reading lore in a video game that you don't have to. I will say that once you get into the actual Dawn of X titles after HoXPoX, the Infograph pages are still there but they feel less common. They also start to get more varied. Some of them are diary pages, some are the standard info dump, and occasionally you get Mr. Sinister's Gossip Column.

• 7 months later...

Are there any in-continuity stories and / or series that acknowledge the alternate Captains America set from the "death" of Steve Rogers to his resurrection in Avengers #4? With the ever-expanding timeline, there's a lush world to build.

William Burnside could still be the Captain America of the 1950s. Then there could be a series of Caps who are very much controlled by the government during the Cold War, Vietnam War, and Ronald Reagan presidency. Cap of the 1990s could be used to poke a little fun at the comics at the time, with him always changing his costume and breaking away from his handlers for EXTREME~! missions. And finally there could be a gap before Steve is awoke circa 2009.

The Winter Soldier storyline from Brubaker and Epting had the 50s Cap revived by the Red Skull. Apparently he was revived prior to that in the 70s, turned into a Neo Nazi leader named the Grand Director by Doctor Faustus. I guess there are running motifs throughout the history of Captain America.

• 2 years later...

X-Men Blue: Origins did the unthinkable. After 42 years, Marvel...

Spoiler

Seriously. MAJOR spoilers!

Spoiler

... finally made it canon that Mystique is Nightcrawler's father and his mother is Destiny. And they did so without retconning a single word of The Draco, in which it was revealed Azazel is Kurt's father. Sort of.

The new canon states when Raven took a male form to impregnate Irene, and did so by “borrowing traits from the flesh I'd touched, the people I've known -- Christian, Azazel, and countless others -- they were but the shades on my palette.” So she mimicked the profiles of several men, including Azazel, to make baby Kurt. Hence why Kurt looks like Azazel but is not at all his child.

Spoiler

And they went a bit further and turns out she didn't throw the baby in the river, she went back to try to save Destiny who had already escaped and it was one of those "Destiny did a thing" things. They both had Xavier remove that part from Mystique's memory so the two could move on as a couple and it's explained her memory filled in the gaps with the baby yeeting.

That was a clever bit.

Spoiler

It frees Raven of that sin while revealing Irene's tangled web of manipulations. In so doing, any anger Kurt held against Raven is now transferred to Irene.

Further, Kurt now has to face the fact he was literally created to look like a demon, to be abused and hated and feared, to doubt himself and even sometimes God, all to rise above the pain and be a ray of hope in the world. He's a Chosen One but only through his mother's machinations, so what's that say of God's plan? Is Destiny's plan the same as God's, did God guide her hand, or is she even manipulating Him?

There are miles upon miles of story to get out of this.

19 hours ago, Donomark said:
  Hide contents

Also the pathetic pearl-clutching for Azazel online is redonk.

Spoiler

Has Chuck Austen's work on X-Men started to be reevaluated? Yes. Is anyone calling The Draco even remotely good in those conversations? Oh hells no! Even as the character has been better used in the last few years, no one who read it has ever said it's good.