Freddy Krueger vs Count Orlok

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Orlok absolutely, without a doubt in my mind, deserves to win this.

Freddy is an icon, but so is Mickey Mouse, and they're about equally as scary at this point. Orlok never killed someone with a video game. He never had a remake by some hack music video director. Most importantly, Freddy never, for even a second, convinced you that he could be real. Robert Englund is an eccentric, classically trained actor known for being the gentlemanly sort out of make up. Max Schreck was fucking terrifying even before hitting the dressing room.

Ultimately this is about who's the best horror villain. Freddy hasn't been scary in decades. Orlok never stopped.

Sure, I'll be disenting voice here. Krueger for a few reasons. First off, I have never been scared of Count Orlock. Freddy scared me for over half my life. Freddy has been defeated by some dumb things but never by forgetting about one of his chief weaknesses sneaking up on him. Finally, for everyone pulling the more iconic card, everyone I know knows who Freddy is. Orlock, if they know the character, they just call him Nosferatu and can't even name the character. Really, the 30s Dracula was a much more iconic vision of what a vampire is, even to this day. I know I'm alone on this but I got to go with Freddy.

I'm with Will, I love Orlock, I do. But, it's Freddy fucking Krueger. The character is horror to generations of people that haven't even heard of Orlock. Plus, sheer volume needs to be considered. Orlock was in one film, albeit a good one. Freddy has several times that mileage.

Sure, I'll be disenting voice here. Krueger for a few reasons. First off, I have never been scared of Count Orlock. Freddy scared me for over half my life. Freddy has been defeated by some dumb things but never by forgetting about one of his chief weaknesses sneaking up on him. Finally, for everyone pulling the more iconic card, everyone I know knows who Freddy is. Orlock, if they know the character, they just call him Nosferatu and can't even name the character. Really, the 30s Dracula was a much more iconic vision of what a vampire is, even to this day. I know I'm alone on this but I got to go with Freddy.

All of that, I don't think Freddy is going to win, but I'm still voting for him.

Sure, I'll be disenting voice here. Krueger for a few reasons. First off, I have never been scared of Count Orlock. Freddy scared me for over half my life.

Completely fair.

Freddy has been defeated by some dumb things but never by forgetting about one of his chief weaknesses sneaking up on him.

I think there was a little more going on than him just forgetting about sunlight.

Really, the 30s Dracula was a much more iconic vision of what a vampire is, even to this day.

Lugosi's Dracula is an iconic vision of the aristocratic vampire.

The character is horror to generations of people that haven't even heard of Orlock.

I'm betting a majority of people haven't seen The Rules of The Game. That doesn't mean it's not one of the greatest films ever made.

Plus, sheer volume needs to be considered. Orlock was in one film, albeit a good one. Freddy has several times that mileage.

He's been in, what, three films that are actually good out of nine? I could just as easily argue that his longevity watered down the character from what he originally was.

To be fair, I'd say Freddy has 4 good films (1, 3, New Nightmare and Freddy vs. Jason.) Plus he's more iconic and basically built New Line Cinema. Was Orlock more influential? Probably. But Freddy has him beat almost everywhere else.

Freddy Kreuger's iconic for this generation - Orlok was THE terrifying villain of decades ago. I don't see why this generation should have more weight, simply because we live in it.

I do like, and have been thoroughly scared by, Freddy Krueger. But I've seen Freddy's Dead.....that guy is not the greatest horror movie villain in all history. The Krueger of NOES 1,3 & new Nightmare? Quite possibly, but Orlok is far scarier, which is why he wins.

To be fair, Nosferatu was in THREE great films: 1. Nosferatu (1922), 2. Nosferatu: The Vampyr (1979, Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski top Craven and Englund any day), and 3. Shadow of the Vampire (2000).

Then, only the first Nigfhtmare film comes close to being as good as any of those three films.

Iconic nature? No doubt about Orlok winning.

Scary? Orlok. Freddy is a joke. There is a great storybehind him but he's been wasted since the second film. . I think I wrote a column about this...

Congrats Orlok.