Xbox 360 news

Missy

The XBox360 Elite is supposed to be announced tomorrow. It's a limited edition black 360 with HDMI and a 120 GB hard drive. The bigger hard drive and HDMI is supposed be on the new premium versions also.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/20/xbox-36...nd-120gb-drive/

edit: Ok, so it was officially announced 4 minutes ago on the Microsoft web site. The servers can't handle the load right now so there is no reason to link to it, but go here for the story from Kotaku.

highlights:

The Elite model will hit in North America on April 29 for $479.99 along with a new stand-alone 120 GB hard drive that will sell for a whopping $179.99. The hard drive will come with a transfer cable and software to move the content stored on a 20 GB hard drive to your new drive.

Microsoft also announced deals with distribution deals with five new video Marketplace partners:

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will be releasing its direct to video movies exclusively in high definition on Xbox LIVE simultaneous with their availability on DVD, starting with "Sublime" and later offering "Babylon 5: The Lost Tales."

A&E Network. "Dog the Bounty Hunter," "King of Cars," "Gene Simmons Family Jewels," "Driving Force" and "Criss Angel Mindfreak"

ADV Films. Top offerings from the #1 producer-distributor of Japanese animation ("anime") outside of Japan

National Geographic. The television series "Is It Real?" and "Taboo" as well as programs such as "21 Days to Baghdad" and "Air Force One"

New Line Cinema. "Snakes on a Plane," "Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning" and "Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny," plus top titles including "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me" and "Magnolia"

TotalVid. A broad action-sports offering including extreme skiing and snowboarding, skateboarding, motocross, surfing and mountain biking

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting August 8th, the Xbox 360 will be $50.00 cheaper. In the announcement made earlier tonight, the price was dropped on all Xbox 360 SKU’s available in the US*

Here is how it breaks down.

Xbox 360 Elite $479.99 now $449.99

Xbox 360 System $399 now $349.99

Xbox 360 Core $299.00 now $279.00

Plus, the Halo 3 Special Edition Console price has been announced as $399.99

A couple of things to keep in mind:

These new prices are effective as of Wednesday, August 8th in the U.S. only.

Canada gets it too.

Microsoft Corp. today kicked off the greatest holiday lineup in video game history by announcing it will reduce the Canadian retail price of Xbox 360™ by $100 (CDN) beginning Aug. 8 at Canadian retailers nationwide.

Yeah, I thought they would go for the $100.00 price cut. $50.00 just doesn't seem enough. It's actually only 50 on one of the skus. The core was only a $20 drop, and the Elite is only 30.

The Core doesn't even make sense. It's $279.00. A hard drive is $99. You end up paying almost $30.00 more than if you just buy the regular version. If you just buy a memory card for $40.00 you might as well have bought the regular one for $30.00 more. The Core is a useless SKU.

• 2 weeks later...
A friend of mine was complaining to me about the TMNT port because I can't play with him. He's telling me that the only way to play multiplayer for the game is if I had a 360 (I don't) and the game (yeah... no). It seems silly that they won't let me walk to my friend's house and pick up a controller and play with him.

I know this old but are you talking about the XBLA port of the arcade game? If you are then you can go to his house and pick up a controller and play, as can two more of your buddies. It's four player online & offline co-op.

Taken from Major Nelson and Aceybongos blogs

Upcoming Xbox 360 Estimated Retail Price Drop And Elite Prices Announced

HUGE news - so HUGE I even dragged myself out of bed early on a Monday morning to post about it.

The estimated retail price of the Xbox 360 in Europe will be lowered from this Friday, and prices for the Elite console and black Elite accessories out this week have been announced. All the details are in the pasted press release, but here are the essentials:

IMPORTANT - all prices are estimated retail prices (ERP) and are valid from Friday, August 24:

Xbox 360 Console: 349.99 Euro, £249.99

Xbox 360 Core Console: 279.99 Euro, £179.99

Xbox 360 Elite Console: 449.99 Euro, £299.99

Xbox 360 120GB HDD: 179.99 Euro, £129.99

Xbox 360 Black Wireless Controller: 44.99 Euro, £32.99

Xbox 360 Black Play and Charge Kit: 19.99 Euro, £14.99

Xbox 360 Black Rechargeable Battery Pack: 14.99 Euro, £9.99

Press release:

"MICROSOFT DROPS ESTIMATED RETAIL PRICE FOR XBOX 360™ IN EUROPE, CONFIRMS ELITE AVAILABILITY

Xbox 360 Family Now Offers Fantastic Gaming Experiences For Every Interest and Budget

Monday 20th August, 2007- Microsoft today announced an estimated retail price drop for its Xbox 360 family of consoles in Europe, and welcomed a new member of the family – Xbox 360 Elite. With a product to suit every interest and budget plus the best line up of games of any console, the Xbox 360 range is poised to bring amazing gaming and entertainment experiences to even more consumers this Christmas. The lower cost opens the door to Xbox 360 for more people, helping to broaden the market for gaming and enabling more people to enjoy titles like Halo 3 (Bungie), Scene It? (Microsoft Game Studios), Bioshock (2k Games), Project Gotham Racing 4 (Bizarre Creations), Mass Effect (BioWare), Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation (Bandai/Namco), Naruto (Ubisoft), Blue Dragon (Mistwalker/Artoon Co. Ltd) and more – all only on Xbox 360.

From Friday, 24th August 2007, new estimated retail pricing will come into effect for Xbox 360 in Europe. The Xbox 360, which includes a 20GB hard drive and one wireless controller, will be reduced by €50/£30 to carry an estimated retail price of €349.99/£249.99. The entry-level Xbox 360 Core console, perfect for those wishing to make their first foray into the gaming and entertainment world of Xbox, will be reduced by €20/£20 to carry an estimated retail price of €279.99/£179.99.

Xbox 360 Elite will carry an estimated retail price of €449.99/£299.99 when it launches in Europe this Friday, 24th August. It comes with a massive 120GB hard drive, enabling consumers to store huge quantities of content downloaded from Xbox Live Marketplace as well as their own music. The inclusion of a high-definition multimedia interface port (HDMI) is designed for the expanding groups of consumers with HD TVs and HDMI – it offers an alternative method for getting the incredible high-definition gaming and entertainment experiences that Xbox 360 has pioneered. A premium black finish marks the Xbox 360 Elite as the ultimate in entertainment devices and the ‘luxury’ option for seasoned gamers.

“We’re pleased to be able to offer Xbox 360 at a new, lower estimated retail price,†said Chris Lewis, Regional Vice President, Microsoft E&D Europe. “We pioneered the successful concept of multiple products for multiple categories of consumer. First-timers will love the Xbox 360 Core system, which offers an affordable entry into high-definition gaming. The Xbox 360, with its large hard drive and wireless controller, will appeal to casual and experienced gamers and families. The Xbox 360 opens up whole new avenues of entertainment for those who seek the ultimate gaming and entertainment experience.

“Whether it’s our lead in console sales, record-setting games and accessory attach rates or our leading online service, evidence is everywhere that Xbox is thriving,†continued Lewis. .â€When you combine that momentum with these great-value offerings with our unbeatable Christmas game line-up, it’s clear that Xbox 360 is uniquely placed to take Europe by storm this Christmas.â€

For the past year, Xbox 360 has been the number one console in EMEA, having obtained more than 30 percent of the market in terms of overall revenue (more than 45 percent in the UK, Netherlands and Sweden*). Xbox 360 continues to enjoy the highest software attach rate of any game console in Europe with more than 5.5 games sold per console since launch (PS2: 3.8; GC: 5.2; Xbox: 4.3 after 17 months on the market*).

As well as the Xbox 360 Elite console, a range of accessories with a matching sleek black finish will be made available including:

Xbox 360 120GB hard drive: The massive 120GB detachable hard drive allows gamers to not only save their games but also store video, music, pictures, trailers, levels, demos and other content available from Xbox Live Marketplace. It is designed for Xbox 360 owners who wish to upgrade to higher storage capacity. Estimated retail price €179.99/£129.99

Xbox 360 Wireless Controller: This award-winning, high-performance wireless controller, features the Xbox® Guide Button for quick, in-game access to friends and music. It has a range of up to 30 feet and a battery life of 30 hours on two AA batteries. Estimated retail price €44.99/£32.99

Xbox 360 Play & Charge kit. Complete with a charging cable and a black rechargeable battery pack, the Xbox 360 Play & Charge kit allows gamers to recharge their Xbox 360 Wireless Controller without interrupting their gameplay. It is available for an estimated retail price of €19.99/£14.99

Xbox 360 rechargeable battery. The rechargeable battery pack provides more than 25 hours of gameplay per charge. It is available for an estimated retail price of €14.99/£9.99"

Its better than nothing , but I wish that they would get rid of core console and the Controller and play and charge kit were already that price in Game and Gamestop.

• 1 month later...
I really want the bundle that comes with Forza 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, but I'm not sure if that has been shipped to stores yet. (Hell, even if it has, I don't have the $350. :shakehead:)

It'll be in stores within the next week or so, and I've been told that the bundle is going to be a permanent part of the system now, so take your time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Official Xbox Magazine has the scoop on the Fall Xbox 360 dashboard update, and you better believe it's a doozy. UK-based CVG reports that the December 2 update will allow 360 owners to download and play Microsoft-published Xbox 1 games on their 360s.

Let's say that one more time: come December 2, you will be able to download full, original Xbox games to the Xbox 360. The initial list of available games includes Fable, Indigo Prophecy, Crimson Skies: High Road To Revenge, Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath Of Cortex, Burnout 3, and, of course, Halo: Combat Evolved.

Games will cost approximately 1200 Microsoft Points, or $15 USD. Microsoft plans on re-releasing as many Xbox 1 titles as possible through Marketplace. Look out, Virtual Console.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/13/fall-xbo...-halo-december/

This is very good news. Not only for us gamers, but publishers will flock to this to make more money off their older titles.

Fifteen bucks isn't much of a discount, especially since they don't have to worry about production, packaging, distribution, shelf space, etc. Plus, most of these games are in the <$10 bins by now anyway. Still, steps in the right direction I guess.

The pricing of the XBL Marketplace stuff is slowly getting out of hand, IMO. $5 for an XBLA game is perfect. $5 for an illegible background theme advertising a game is not. $30 for the Oblivion expansion packs sure as HELL is not.

• 3 weeks later...

The fall update went live today. You can now play avi files including some divx files. I threw the latest Heroes on a thumb drive and tested it out. It works pretty good. There are also some other new features like seeing your friend's friend list, a new bio you can put up, and an updated marketplace.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...