Grand Theft Auto V

Missy

Yeah, IV wasn't great. But I'll say this for it, it was still better than the so-called alternatives. The only openworld game I played that was in it's class in the last 3 years was Red Dead Redemption. I tried Saints Row and didn't love it. I completed Crackdown but that was pretty formulaic and went to shit with the second game. I guess Assassin's Creed is a game I put a lot into as an openworld environment, but even that's more narrow in what you can do than the Rockstar games.

I too hope for a return to San Andreas. The terretory technique, the wide open spaces, the variety it offered everything was excellent. Everything from petty local crime-wars to Area 51 and James Bond shit. That's what GTA should be. Or if it's going to be serious, it needs to be serious in a post-Wire kind of way, not in a half-assed buddy movie kind of way.

The video keeps crashing for me. I'll have to wait for the video to appear on YouTube.

Edit: Youtube link. Still getting used to the new forum layout to link Youtube stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFgAFH9ZEpU&feature=feedu

After GTA IV, I'm pessimistic, I'm sure the game will look nice, but I'm going to rent it, before I decide if it's worth shelling out £40-£50 on.

I like it. San Andreas always had the most potential of any of the games given it's scope, so I'm glad they're going back. I also vastly preferred the storyline in San Andreas to GTA IV, and whilst I don't think it's mandatory to repeat the gang motif I'd like to have that as something to revisit at some point. The giant sun-drenched Calafornia setting should be awesome for this.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm currently playing Saint's Row IV and it's getting me in the GTA mood. It kind of snuck up on me, but the game went gold today and is coming out in a few weeks. I pre-ordered it today.

I'm the same, with playing Saints Row and now thinking about GTA. My worry is, the game will be the exact same as 4. Pretty looking, but just not very enjoyable to actually play.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to have to stay off of gaming sites for the next week or so. Nothing like reading endless comments from people that haven't played the game that are outraged at anyone that had the sheer audacity to not give GTAV a perfect score.

God, I hate what game reviews have become.