XBox One news

JackFetch

Hot damn!

An email reportedly sent to Microsoft employees seems to debunk rumors that the next Xbox will require a constant internet connection.

The alleged email, obtained by Ars Technica, is said to have been sent to “all full-time employees working on the next Xbox” and contains the following text:

“Durango is designed to deliver the future of entertainment while engineered to be tolerant of today's Internet. There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/06/internal-microsoft-memo-reportedly-debunks-always-online-xbox?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the current pre-order price in the UK is £400, from Zavvi.com. This may be lowered or raised later, but this is currently what you would be expected to pay for a pre-order.

That, right there, is a shit-ton of money. That's over $600 USD.

Going off the original manufacturing cost of a Kinect, adjusted for current tech prices and increases in Kinect 2 capability, it'll bump up the price by somewhere between $50-$100.

I'm guessing the total console price will be around $500, though I think they'll likely have a lower-priced subsidized model available as well. They could realistically go as low as $400 if they have enough games at launch, though it kind of feels less likely.

Isn't $399-$499 the usual out the gate prices for new consoles?

Technically between $299 and $499, yes. Nintendo has gone lower, and Sony has gone higher. The fact that we have subsidies on high-end electronics throws that a bit out the window, though. Also, since Microsoft has such a high attach rate for games-to-consoles and they make money like crazy with Xbox Live, they could conceivably take a hit on the console price if they wanted. But they might not want to.

After that conference, I'm even more convinced mainstream gaming is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Now is the best time to give some attention to the indies.

Also, bargain bins.

From Giantbomb.

UPDATE: The used games stuff only gets weirder and weirder. Xbox exec Phil Harrison told Eurogamer there's a fee associated with used games, while Xbox Support is saying the exact opposite on Twitter. On the other hand, Kotaku also talked to Harrison, who said Microsoft is working out an online trade system that's yet to be announced, and games will be playable on all user accounts on an individual system. According to Harrison, you will have to pay a fee if you borrow a game disc from a friend, a fee that, at least for new games, will be the same cost your friend probably paid.

--
As more details on Microsoft’s newly announced Xbox One filter out, we'll bring you the ones that matter.
The company tossed up a FAQ up to address some pressing questions.
I’ve highlighted the most important answers below, which address the rumors about Xbox One being an “always on” console, the transferring of gamerscore and achievements, backwards compatibility, and if used games are a thing anymore. There aren’t great answers to the first and last questions, unfortunately, but that’s where we’re at right now.
Q: Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?
A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet. We’re designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.
Q: Can I use my current gamertag on Xbox One and will my Gamerscore and Achievements transfer?
A: Yes. Your current Xbox Live Gamertag will stay with you on Xbox One if you choose to keep it, and your hard-earned Gamerscore and Achievements will indeed carry over from Xbox 360.
Q: Will Xbox One be backward compatible with my existing games?
A: Xbox One hardware is not compatible with Xbox 360 games. We designed Xbox One to play an entirely new generation of games—games that are architected to take full advantage of state-of-the-art processors and the infinite power of the cloud. We care very much about the investment you have made in Xbox 360 and will continue to support it with a pipeline of new games and new apps well into the future.
Q: Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games?
A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We’ll have more details to share later.
We also know Xbox Live will now support up to 1,000 friends, a far cry from the current service's 100-person limit.
Additionally, Engadget reports the machine will come with a 500GB hard drive that is non-replaceable, but the USB 3.0 slots can be used for external storage.