Every comic you've read in 2012

Missy

During that period, the monthly experience was very different. Not that that's a bad thing, it simply wasn't expected and I never quite got used to it.

At one point, I had the opportunity (and money) to buy the entire issue focusing on Jodie, but I passed because I had no idea what to do with 20-plus pages of art.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X-Men: Utopia - Seems a bit early to be leaving San Fransisco. Seems a bit early to be shitting on the X-Men again. I get it. They are hated and feared. Blah. Let them be accepted and loved for a little while. Not a fan of the Dark Reign stuff either.

Comics: 178

Graphic Novels: 2

Trades: 201 (1199)

Uncanny X-Men: Nation X - Beyond Magneto showing up, this felt like a nothing story. Like I said with Utopia, it was too early to move the team out of San Fransisco. I get that the X-Men is all about being an oppressed and shunned. But if that is what your book is 100% of the time, it gets old. Ever since M-Day, it has been a non-stop shit-fest fest for mutants. Moving west and being accepted gave the book a much needed change in tone. It gave the X-Men a feeling of happiness. They finally found a place to be themselves.

I know that having a 100% sunshine and puppies book is not going to work either. But you need that to make the inevitable turn for the worse mean more. In comic book time, I would estimate they were in SF for all of a month? In real time, we got three storielines and then shitstorm.

It may be the rapid reading of the X-Men books, but all this non-stop gloom just gets old after a while. SF was something different and had more possibilities than were given. I think I need take a break from mutants for a while.

Trades: 202 (1212)

Don't have the time or memory to write extensive notes on most of these, so I'll just divide most of the books I've read between August and now up like so:

LIKED:

JLA Classified #4-9 (I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League) (would be on next list were it not for last two issues)

Thor by JMS

Legends

Dark Avengers Assemble

Animal Man #7-12, #0 & Annual

Superman: Secret Identity

Minutemen #1-3

Ozymandias #1

Gotham Central #16-22

Superman for All Seasons

LOVED:

Batman #1-15, #0, & Annual

Swamp Thing #1-12 & #0

Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis

UNDERWHELMED BY:

Silk Spectre #1

Rorschach #1

Doctor Manhattan #1

Nite-Owl #1

House of M

DISLIKED:

JLA Classified #1-3 (Ultramarine Corps)

Comedian #1

OTHER:

Wonder Woman #1-6: An astonishingly quick read, but that's not entirely a good thing. Will have more to say about it once Tom and Chris have covered the trade collecting those issues.

Daredevil by Mark Waid Vol. 1: Ed what? Brian Michael who?? Haven't had this much fun reading a comic since I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League.

Ragemoor: Hardcover collection by Jan Strnad and Richard Corben. Really cool mish-mash of Fall of the House of Usher and more overt Lovcraftian influences. Probably will review it in the next episode of DM.

Realm of Kings half 1: The first 12 issues of this event are a real mixed bag. SUPER mixed bag. Some of it is fucking great, the other part is awful beyond measure. Might be able to read more tonight. Will try to update if I can.

But, Looks as though my close to final count is the following:

Comics: 1230

Graphic Novels: 23

Trades: 52

Omnibus: 15

Pretty proud. More GNs than last year. Likely the biggest year of comics reading that I've ever done. But it's probably the smallest year of recent comics in many years. Maybe ever. Read lots of great old stuff and some cool indie stuff. Look to do more or that next year.

Trades: 202 (1212)

My final count of the year. Like Des, I am pretty proud of that. After years of saying I would start reading comics again, I finally did. Now that I am back in the swing of things, I want to read more of the comics I own. Read mostly trades from the library and related issues. I have so many full runs & mini series that I need to put a dent into this year. Here's hoping.