A Different Kind of Fight Suggestion

Welcome to the forums.

I think in terms of sheer knowledge and expertise at various things, I think Luthor would beat Wayne. But, almost solely because Luthor a) has all this knowledge and yet hasn't utilized it effectively enough to take out the Man of Steel once and for all and b) because he, of all people, hasn't deduced that Clark Kent is Superman, in terms of sheer smarts I'd have to give the edge to Wayne.

The argument I've always heard is Batman, easily. But then some Luthor fans pop up and explain that Bruce is brilliant but he's not got a scientific understanding like Luthor does, thus making Luthor smarter. But then other people up and state that application of said knowledge makes Bruce better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Confidential#Rules_of_Engagement_.28.231-6.29

Welcome, and I think at the end of the day, Lex Luthor is too arrogant to actually beat Batman. Batman is able to work out superhero's secret identities, Lex Luthor is to full of himself to believe that someone like Superman would ever be so stupid as to pretend to be a human being, let alone someone as bumbling as Clark Kent. As Luthor can only see the world from his perspective and what he would do with those powers, whereas Batman would try to think outside the box and understand the person's personal characteristics to work out who they are.

New fight/debate: Who has had a shittier life, Peter Parker or Matt Murdock?

Daredevil has never asked the actual devil to mulligan one of his marriages for plot convenience.

Edit: A bit more detail. Daredevil has lost every woman he has ever loved, and his life never gets out of the toilet, he's been driven insane by a demon in Shadowland, and has just constantly been one step away from killing himself. His alter ego is a dark brooding character, so unlike Spider-Man he cannot use his alter ego to blow off some steam from his personal life problems.

Peter Parker has his problems, and whines CONSTANTLY, but Matt Murdock is perpetually a heartbeat away from eating his gun. The universe has conspired to make him utterly miserable in virtually every facet of his life at one point or another.

• 1 month later...

Here's my way of looking at it. Xavier is a character that can exist in universe by himself. He has progressed past the mentor stage years ago. As for Aunt May, if they can come up with interesting stories, by all means she shouldn't have to die. I liked when she knew about Peter being Spider-Man. I like her and John Jonah Jameson together. Really, I honestly believe neither should die as long as they have stories to tell.

Besides, if Aunt May dies, then Peter will just sell his relationship to someone else to bring her back.

Both have been dead for a time. (Xavier in the 90's, and Aunt May was going to die during OMD, which counts to me) so, both have died, and both have came back. If I'm wrong about either, my mistake.

Different topic: What do you prefer, new supervillains created from a retcon to the characters past events (Parralax entity, Hush for example) or do you prefer villains who do not have a past with the characters and just come out, and make a name for themselves, without some need to be involved with the characters history. For example, Professor Pyg, Batzarro etc.

Sorry I used DC characters for the examples, I know more about DC than I do Marvel.

Both have been dead for a time. (Xavier in the 90's, and Aunt May was going to die during OMD, which counts to me) so, both have died, and both have came back. If I'm wrong about either, my mistake.

I haven't read many X-books for the past few years, but I do know that Xavier was killed by Bishop at the end of Messiah CompleX (2008), yet was in the first issue of Wolverine and the X-Men (2011).

Xavier was shot, not killed. His dead period was actually in the 70s but it turns out it was just a shapeshifter who had taken his place while he worked on combating aliens. Also, Aunt May was dead for a time during the 90s when she had been replaced with an actress while being held captive. It was kinda contrived to be perfectly honest.

• 4 weeks later...

Different topic: What do you prefer, new supervillains created from a retcon to the characters past events (Parralax entity, Hush for example) or do you prefer villains who do not have a past with the characters and just come out, and make a name for themselves, without some need to be involved with the characters history. For example, Professor Pyg, Batzarro etc.

Though retcons aren't always a bad thing, I prefer villains who come out of nowhere and make names for themselves to those that we should have been introduced to earlier, especially if the hero already has a very rich history when the villain from the past emerges. I find Professor Pyg moving to Gotham from some other city, setting up shop there, and making a name for himself much easier to swallow than a villain who's Bruce's closest childhood friend debuting over sixty years after the first Batman comic.