Episode 03.03: Americana and Conspiracy of One

RSS

In this episode, covering Americana and Conspiracy of One, Damian and Desmond cover "that era" of The Offspring's career. The song "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)" inspires no less than 20 minutes of vitriolic sonic hatred. Question: What are some things that punk songs should not contain? Answer: Steel drums, drum machines, the words "sail away," or a Rob Schneider sample. Question: What are things that songs should contain? Answer: The Beach Boys. This episode is a roadmap for young punk bands wondering how to remain relevant. You're welcome! [ 2:08:37 || 62.2 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/droppedd/episodes/droppedd_003-03.mp3

I'm dying to know what kind of dance move could possibly earn the moniker of "The Fax Machine"!!

Awesome ep as per usual, gents. Apologies for the generic words, but I don't know how to elaborate further. I will say that Dubs' "cruel" story which ends with "...don't fuck with me" was gold!

Just finished the episode at work. A few thoughts:

As much as you both liked Smash & Ixnay, I go for Americana/Conspiracy. Are they better albums, probably not. According to iTunes, I haven't listened to them since 2008. But these are my introductions into the band. I played the shit out of the Americana cassette copy I made from my friends CD. I remember being excited for Conspiracy when it was released and being somewhat disappointed, but eventually liking the album overall.

D.W. - Your idea of a band of time travelers has somewhat been done. I give you Chris Jericho's band, Fozzy. When the band started, they had the storyline that they had been trapped in Japan for the past 20 years. When they returned to America, they find that other bands had stolen all of their songs. Also, Moongoose McQueen.

Looking forward to the next two albums. I only have listened to Splinter once and hated it, and I have had their last album for 3 years and have yet to listen to it. So, fun?

Yeah, the thing that killed the Fozzy gimmick was that Jericho was already famous at the time, and people found his portrayal of Moongoose to be more annoying than amusing.

The next episode is.... interesting.