Northstar is getting married

JackFetch

Right on the heels of DC Comics' announcement that it's about to turn a major character gay, Marvel Comics came out today with some gay-friendly news of its own. It's been rumored for months, and now it's confirmed: Marvel's about to print a same-sex superhero marriage.

Marvel made the big announcement this morning on ABC's The View, confirming that next month's Astonishing X-Men #51 will chronicle the marriage of the X-Man Northstar (AKA Jean-Paul Beaubier) to his longtime boyfriend Kyle Jinadu. The storyline begins with a proposal in Astonishing X-Men #50, on sale tomorrow, and continues with the wedding in the next issue, which is set to hit comic shops June 20.

"The Marvel Universe has always reflected the world outside your window, so we strive to make sure our characters, relationships and stories are grounded in that reality," said Axel Alonso, Marvel Editor in Chief. "We've been working on this story for over a year to ensure Northstar and Kyle's wedding reflects Marvel's 'world outside your window' tradition."

Northstar was first introduced as a member of the superhero team Alpha Flight in 1979, and he became the first openly gay superhero back in 1992. Now he's taking the next step, and while some might see as a publicity stunt, Astonishing X-Men writer Marjorie Liu promises there's much more to the story than just a wedding.

"The story of Northstar and Kyle is universal, and at the core of everything I write: a powerful love between two people who have to fight for it against all odds," said Liu. "This is the quintessential Marvel story, one that blends the modern world with the fantasy of super heroes in order to tell an exciting story that begins with a wedding--and continues in ways you can't imagine."

http://blastr.com/20...s-first-eve.php

astonishingxmen50previe.jpg

Marvel, you do realize that fucking Archie beat you and DC both to the punch on this, right?

Either way, d'awww.

They're specifically going for the first gay superhero marriage.

In which case; they're still wrong, since Apollo and Midnighter were married over a decade ago in The Authority.

But yes, gay marriages aren't a crazy new thing in comics.

In which case; they're still wrong, since Apollo and Midnighter were married over a decade ago in The Authority.

Thank you.

To this day, it tickles me to absolutely no end that one way that Internet Jesus decided to shock the world and rock the comics industry to its very foundation was to depict a loving couple committing to each other.

Thank you.

To this day, it tickles me to absolutely no end that one way that Internet Jesus decided to shock the world and rock the comics industry to its very foundation was to depict a loving couple committing to each other.

When Warren Ellis storylines make more sense than the real world, the real world is in a very bad place.

I am currently reading back issues of Marvel Two-In-One (thanks to Dan) and, man! I miss when Marvel and DC used to make comics for the fun stories and cool art. Instead, it has become more and more of a test to see who can pull the craziest PR stunt.

If this had anything to do with the story, I wouldn't be upset, but we're not that naive are we?