Episode 01: The Breakfast Club

RSS

Create the ultimate cast  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For Better or Worse is here, and, to kick the show off, Shana and Mike examined The Breakfast Club. Though it's a product of its time, the universal truths presented within make it a timeless classic. Yet, it could use a 21st century facelift, and that's what the duo's ready to provide! [ 1:18:49 || 38.2 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/forbetterorworse/episodes/forbetterorworse_001.mp3

During the show I mentioned adding a poll to the feedback thread, allowing you to choose the "ultimate" cast from our lists. However, I think I'm going to make it standard practice to wait a few days, this way the poll doesn't spoil the show. So expect it to be added Sunday.

And I look forward to the discussion arising from those polls! Great first show guys, really liked it. You actually got a lot more out of the idea than I'd considered, contemplating all the angles and variables behind a remake, especially the projected ideal studio cast.

And I look forward to the discussion arising from those polls! Great first show guys, really liked it. You actually got a lot more out of the idea than I'd considered, contemplating all the angles and variables behind a remake, especially the projected ideal studio cast.

Thanks, Tom! That's exactly what we hope to bring to every episode. While talking about a new cast is certainly fun, and is what I think most people will tune in to hear, we also must talk about the other elements that go into remaking a movie. Since we're both writers, it's only natural for us to look at new character developments and motivations, to see the plot from different angles, and to think about it in a modern context.

Whoa! I really haven't been paying attention. This looks like a great idea for a podcast. Looking forward to checking it out! Great movie to start off with too!

Thanks! Once you do, please let us know.

Strong debut, Mr & Mrs Sims! Of course, any podcast that starts its life by pimping FYEO before explaining what its subject matter is will always be high in my esteem!

I can't offer up any casting suggestions as I've not really watched the film all the way through, though I have seen it in parts. What I WOULD ponder is whether your remade versions of the film would feature cover versions of 'Don't You Forget About Me'. I don't think the artist/band neccessarily needs to be really modern, but an artist/band that would suit the sensibility of the original song whilst doing something new with it. Personally, I think The Killers could do something with it, because they're the closest band I can think of that are like Simple Minds without being of that time period.

And I think if your future films have defining songs to go with them, perhaps you could think of cover versions by appropriate bands?

Oooh, yeah! It never crossed our minds to speak about the music of The Breakfast Club, but I like your suggestion there.

As for using cover songs from movies with, as you put it, "defining songs," I came very close to including a cover of "Don't You (Forget About Me)." However, if I recall, Des and Megan did that very thing in Married to Movies, and I didn't want to step on their toes.

Oooh, yeah! It never crossed our minds to speak about the music of The Breakfast Club, but I like your suggestion there.

As for using cover songs from movies with, as you put it, "defining songs," I came very close to including a cover of "Don't You (Forget About Me)." However, if I recall, Des and Megan did that very thing in Married to Movies, and I didn't want to step on their toes.

The suggestion was not so much as to use cover versions of the song, but to suggest artists who'd be a good fit to cover the song.

Just finished listening to your debut episode, and I loved it. And that's without ever having watched The Breakfast Club. I'm glad I was listening on my computer rather than my ipod, because I admit I had to google more than one of the young stars that you mentioned. I guess I'm not as hip as I used to be. Looking forward to future episodes.

Probably a good place to put this bit here as it's a movie about a group of school kids, but, umm Shania, rookie, it's time to get up on that table and sing your school's fight song!

LOUDLY AND PROUDLY! :smilewinkgrin:

*for those who have no clue what I'm talking about, that's a usual good natured sports team (either pro or college) hazing ritual, rookies forced to sing their alamater's fight song in front of the rest of the team.

Hmm. I've given it quite a bit of thought as to who I would recast if it was up to me and these are my picks. I've posted a few films from each of my acting picks in case you cant put a face to the name.

I'd love to see Rutger Hauer in the Paul Gleason principal role. Think of the douchey corporate role he played in Batman Begins, he could bring that "authority" to the role. Obviously famous for Blade Runner and The Hithcer but he's a great character actor.

As the Janitor? Bruce Campbell - because the fault with most movies is that they don't have Bruce Campbell in them.

Aaron "Kick-Ass" Johnson would be my Brian. Also in The Illusionist and Nowhere Boy.

Michael B Jordan from The Wire and Friday Night Lights as John. I've got no problem with recasting parts with actors from other races and this guy would be perfect as the jock.

Kody Smit-McPhee from Sucker Punch, Let Me In and The Road as Claire

Saoirse Ronan from Hanna, Atonement and The Lovely Bones as Allison

Logan Lerman from Percy Jackson and The Three Musketeers as Andy.

• 1 year later...