General draft discussion

Missy

Let's use this thread to discuss the drafts: how they're going, where we can improve, suggestions for future drafts, etc. This way the individual draft threads don't get bogged down with technical info.

The first two drafts have been very strong, so, if the interest remains the same or grows, how would you all feel about making a new draft section of the forums? Or incorporating them into the Versus section? This way we can run drafts that aren't only related to comic books, and it will get that section up and running again.

I would also like to propose an idea for a future draft: The Amalgam Draft. Each round we get to choose two characters (from different companies or the same), and we merge them to form our own heroes and, eventually, teams. So in round one I might choose Raven and The Scarlet Witch, thus creating The Scarlet Raven. Instead of leaving it at that, though, I'd also have to write a little narrative about her: powers, appearance, background, etc. Is there any interest in that?

Could be interesting to mashup a few, I like that.

A draft I've already stated the idea for (but I'll reiterate here) is the Indy comics draft. Basically you take the same superhero team draft idea but open it up to every single character in comics who wasn't available the first time. I'm thinking it'll get some discussion flowing around 2000AD, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow etc. Hopefully we get a lot of comics looking like this-

guardiansgiarussomain.jpg

I like the idea that you might be opened up to new books and characters through something like this.

Other than that, maybe a ensemble TV book? Create your own TV show with existing characters, have an intense police procedural with Chandler from friends and Jayne from Firefly as partners, hunting down the Bay Harbour Butcher (Dexter) in Miami for example.

Des has an idea in mind though, and I'm happy to place the Indy comics on the backburner for a fresh organiser. Like I said in the thread, this thing will stay fresh by having someone new get involved in the ideas process each time.

Close, Stavros.

My draft idea is an Omniverse draft. You can choose from any comic universe you like but not more than one from the same universe. IE: Savage Dragon and Rick Grimes could face off against the zombified kids from Morning Glories since none of them appear in the same universe. You could essentially staff a team solely on the Vertigo books or Image books that way.

No more than one Marvel pick, one DC pick. Or no Marvel or DC characters, what would people prefer?

How are going to handle leftover picks? Austen has two remaining, yet his team is complete. This didn't even dawn on me before, but it seems like those might be up for grabs; who decides where those go?

Also, can I personally sacrifice one of my own hero picks for a second villain? I'm not saying I will, I'm just curious.

Here's a crazy-stupid idea for a draft: A Doctor Who comics draft done as if It had as many titles as the X-Men.

There would be eleven paarticipants crafting eleven books (one for each Doctor), two companions per book (since four's a crowd on the TARDIS; these should be established characters, but can be people who haven't actually travelled on the TARDIS, like Craig or D-84), and a villain for the first arc (you could use individual Daleks like the Special Weapons Dalek or Davros, but you can't have two people both using the Daleks as a whole in their books; they're overexposed enough as it is).

I like that a lot! Maybe have the Daleks open as a couple of options, maybe as themselves and then with Davros as a separate baddie who is obviously backed up by them. You could for example lay out 10 picks, and then each pick could be a companion, villain or location that you want to include. For example you could take Daleks in the first round but then you'd miss out on the really good companions. From that mix of ideas you could try to generate a story idea for a half-series or so, like they air now.

I am planning a small group of villains, personally. I hadn't even thought it would be a problem, as I know that no one will pick them. It's my last "hero" pick that has me worried. If Suavestar's done, maybe he sits out until the villain draft?

I am now wondering this. Originally, I had one villain in mind for my story outline, but I have an idea for a second in the ranks. Will I be able to wait till the final draft to pick a second villain?

I presume the villain groups would be the CSA or the Injustice Society. For the Crime Syndicate I'd say they count as a single foe since their roster is pretty stable and they represent a united threat. For the Injustice Society I'd say pick the leader and then in the post-draft pick the rest of the roster from the villain still left.

One of the newer features of the forums is that, in case of a crash, the text box backs up your post. After a minute or two of typing, glance at the lower lefthand side of the box and you'll see a note that reads "last auto saved" and then a time. Click that after a crash, and some of your post will reappear.

One of the newer features of the forums is that, in case of a crash, the text box backs up your post. After a minute or two of typing, glance at the lower lefthand side of the box and you'll see a note that reads "last auto saved" and then a time. Click that after a crash, and some of your post will reappear.

Good to know that for future reference.