The Omniverse Draft!

Dread

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing. Blackness.

Then, suddenly, light. Colors. Slowly, images as a world comes into focus.

A lens hums as it attempts to maintain its subject: a man not quite 40, but looking so much older, sitting behind a cluttered metal desk. A mop of brown hair is atop his head. Streaks of premature grey run here and there. On top of the desk, his hands rest, clenched into a ball. He doesn't look at the camera before him. His gaze is down, somewhere else. If he's breathing, it isn't recorded by the camera.

Continuing to look down, at nothing really, his voice breaks in. Soft. Nearly unheard.

"August sixteenth."

He pauses. Not for effect, but to steady himself. For what he's about to say, seems impossible.

It's then he finally looks up from his hands, his blue eyes cutting into the camera. Where they were once youthful, madly gleeful even, now they're cold.

"My world is dying."

Nothing. Blackness.

The camera clicks on. Though he's still behind the desk, the clutter has changed. Where there was once stacks of paper, now rest electronic components, tools, schematics. Time has passed.

"August twenty-ninth. For two weeks now, the bizarre, unexplained tremors have gotten worse, but we still don't know why. After most of St. Louis was leveled, leaving... leaving so many people dead, the government began evacuating the cities. Dr. Jordan Elliot suggested mass continental drifting, but uh-uh. It's more than that. It's something else. But what?!"

Nothing. Blackness.

His eyes are red. His cheeks puffy and peppered with stubble. In his hands he fidgets with something small and round, but not quite a ball.

"September fourth. The Hawaiian Islands are gone. They're just... gone. Last I heard, Wade was... there."

After a moment, he throws the black object at the camera, knocking it to the floor.

It records the ceiling until the batteries go dry — two hours later.

Nothing. Blackness.

As the camera click on once more, it's been repositioned. No longer is the cluttered desk in frame, but rather a large laboratory brimming with technology few could imagine. But one man did.

He stands tall, proud, and dressed in an all-black suit. His tie, also black, is in a loose knot.

For the first time in weeks, he's shaved, clean. Happy.

"October first. Once all this began, I didn't know what to do. What could I do? I'm a physicist and an engineer, not a geologist or a seismologist. So I wallowed." He nods, disapprovingly of himself. "But I also tinkered. I needed to keep my mind busy and my hands going, so I modified something without even realizing I was doing it."

From his coat pocket, he pulls out a smaller version of the black, metal ball.

"About four years ago, I built these for the military. They're probes. If you send this little guy into a room, he'll scan everything in there." His arms flail wildly. He's as excited as a child. "It will record whatever you need to know: the number of people, who they are, even. Most importantly, what technology, what weaponry they have. This," he holds it closer to the camera, "this has saved lives. And it's going to once more. I've modified it. Now it isn't limited to a room. It can scan entire planets in a matter of seconds. Planets! As soon as I realized what I had in my hands, everything became so clear."

Having placed the orb back in its pocket, out of his other he pulls another device. This one is ash-grey and not much bigger than a cellphone.

"Almost twenty years ago, while attempting to create an anti-gravity device, I accidentally discovered the gateway to other worlds — where possibilities were endless. Some were no different than Elvis being alive, or green meaning stop at an intersection. While others," for a moment his eyes grow dark and weary. "Others were no better off than we are now. For a while I traveled with my friends, and I quite literally became a new man. But eventually I got us back home. Mostly by luck, I admit. But since then, I've perfected the science of... sliding, we jokingly called it. With pinpoint accuracy, I can enter any reality... any Earth I choose, and come back here, also when I choose. With this and the probes, I had the solution."

With a surprising bounce to his step, he hops a few feet back to a whiteboard full of coordinates and names.

"I opened portal after portal, and I sent the probes out. Within seconds they returned, having gathered the exact information I needed. They found every genius worth a damn from across the entire Omniverse. Every single one! If the scientists of this world can't save it," he raps his knuckles across the board, "then one of them can!"

With only the slightest twitch of his index finger, he triggers the small, square device in his left hand. Directly to his side a white light explodes with a thunderclap, creating a floating, rippling portal.

"I'm going to travel the Omniverse. I'm going to gather the smartest men and women from every possible Earth. And we're going to save the world!"

And then, just like that, Professor Quinn Mallory turns his back to the camera, and calmly walks into the glistening portal.

Everything. Light.

S3_quinn.jpg

Mike, great, now I'm going to sound like I'm copying you.

The Throne Room of Queen Elizabeth the 19th, Albion, The 51st Century

Heavy is the head that wears the crown. Elisabeth has learned this the hard way. She was Albion's warrior queen, freeing it from intergalactic slavers, bartering peace with hostile forces, and giving crucial information at great risk to herself to turn the tide of battle of Reykjavik. In all that time, she never needed to ask for help. That is, until today.

"If you're hearing this, then we already lost the war. Our people are dieing, taken from their homes, and forced away. Their nightmares threaten to eat them alive as the darkness consumes all. We know this doesn't make sense. Our family has always talked of you, how you appear to save our nation in it's time of need. We need you today more than we ever have," The Queen says into the silver recorder. She then places it into the capsule the Time Agency had provided her with and presses the button.

The Nexus of Tripolli, 10,942,341 AD

"I don't understand. It was a hamburger and tasted like one but you said cows were extinct. What was it made from?" The girl say to the man with a bowtie next to her.

"You really don't want to know. Think smaller, think more legs, think a thick mucus membrane that swells in the heat," He says to her as they arrived at the blue box.

She follows him in and is promptly hit in the side of the head with a flying silver capsule. It hits the ground the same time as her.

"Well, at least it will be quieter in her for a few minutes," he says. The man stoops down to pick up the capsule, unscrews it and looked at the time date.

"Earth burning, cosmic tremors. I guess that is somewhat alarming. Come along, Peri. I guess we need to take care of this," he says, adjusting his garish jacket that would make a clown blush. No response, "Oh right, you're unconscious. For that matter, why am I talking to myself?"

The Doctor moves over to the controls and turns a few knobs as it dematerializes then reappears. He smiles and runs to open the door only to see nothing. He runs, looks at the coordinates, the time, nothing.

"It looks like someone stole the universe. Who would steal the entire universe? Why am I still talking to myself?"

Peri snores in response.

"Well, at least you're not going to get someone trying to bed you this way."

photo_lrg4.jpg

The Doctor is a Time Lord, an alien charged with keeping order with the space-time continuum. He just happens to be more hands on than most of his contemporaries.